Army-Navy proposal alive on Big East table

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

C-USA tried this. I mean they offered both schools the kitchen sink. However, they only drew Army and even with that Army wanted out after a year (it was later granted). The Big East made a similar proposal in the early 90s, and they refused then too.

I highly doubt that Army and Navy are going to join a conference, while the BCS would intrigue them, it's not gonna be enough because in all likelihood (and they know it) it's tough for 270lb offensive linemen to hold up each week. Further, they both have historically big names that draw well. They have their own cvontracts to get on ESPN and do frequent the network.

To set aside Air Force, the academy can around in the 60s, they don't have the "Army" and "Navy" drawing power and probably never will.

I've seen crazier things, but I fully believe Army and Navy will always be independent from here on out.

Their home attendance is online with USF at about # 65 to 75, they draw on the road according to the opponent. The academy's are not looking to draw we pay for them. They are looking to promote the academy's and playing in some of the bigger markets in the US every year helps, so does a TV contract that is beetr than their current deal with ESPN that dictates the starting time of games and kills home attendance. Last years Army- Notre Dame game was 27% lower than the same time frame game the year before. That is with ND playing; people do not turn into watch Army play anybody they have to play Navy or a big name and then it is usually a blow out.

Army was in CUSA for 9 seasons and only asked to leave after a committee was formed that included Bill Parcells and they requested it because of a losing record and lack of scheduling flexibility. 4 games would keep them flexible

The Air force ranks higher in attendence at home than both of the other academies.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

don't think any BE teams have trouble scheduling teams of Army and Navy's caliber.  Home games even.

I'd much rather the Cards play Utah at home(like this year) than Army, and [glow=yellow,2,300]I'd much rather the Bulls play UNC at home(like this year) instead of Navy.[/glow]

I agree BUT looking down the road at our ooc schedule, there are plenty of teams you can't say that about. I don't know about the rest of the conf but I thinkit'd be great for us.

• Content Count:  10,219

army and navy could schedule 4-6 guaranteed wins a year, the play ND and themselves and have 4 BE games (2 vs top tier 2 vs bottom tier)

this means  automatic 6 win seasons and poss 8-9 wins in good years...this is respectable and will get them to bowl games

that is a winning formula long term.

i had proposed this solution as our "9th member since the BE went to 16.

• Content Count:  549

army and navy could schedule 4-6 guaranteed wins a year, the play ND and themselves and have 4 BE games (2 vs top tier 2 vs bottom tier)

this means  automatic 6 win seasons and poss 8-9 wins in good years...this is respectable and will get them to bowl games

It's a winning formula for Army and Navy, but I couldn't care less.  What about the BE?

As with Notre Dame, we would have teams leeching off of the BigEast to make themselves better, but no real commitment.  Army and Navy won't even count in the standings, yet we would be forced to play them?  It seems like lose-lose to good BE teams, USF included.  You lose scheduling flexibility, you get nothing if you win, and if you lose, you lose a lot.

I could be wrong, Triple B, but I think USF could do better.  Army, Navy?  It just seems like being desperate and settling.  With Louisville, WVU, Rutgers, USF all regular top25 programs from now on, plus the development of Pitt and UConn, the BigEast shouldn't take a backseat to anyone, and shouldn't have to stoop to begging Army and Navy to be partial members.  Just my two cents.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

It's a winning formula for Army and Navy, but I couldn't care less.  What about the BE?

As with Notre Dame, we would have teams leeching off of the BigEast to make themselves better, but no real commitment.  Army and Navy won't even count in the standings, yet we would be forced to play them?  It seems like lose-lose to good BE teams, USF included.  You lose scheduling flexibility, you get nothing if you win, and if you lose, you lose a lot.

I could be wrong, Triple B, but I think USF could do better.  Army, Navy?  It just seems like being desperate and settling.  With Louisville, WVU, Rutgers, USF all regular top25 programs from now on, plus the development of Pitt and UConn, the BigEast shouldn't take a backseat to anyone, and shouldn't have to stoop to begging Army and Navy to be partial members.  Just my two cents.

gotta agree here.  Other than a storied past they bring nothing to the conference and this would be a move that makes no sense.  If your not upgrading the quality and competition in the BE with the new team they arent worth consideration.  Army and Navy are programs with great storied pasts but its not the 1950's anymore. 

Maybe it's just me but I think playing Army and Navy every year would be kind of cool and the 5 ooc games have been a pretty tough nut to crack evidenced by Elon, Tenn-Martin, Wofford, Samford ... and if it would help keep ALL the basketball schools in conference that's even more of a reason.

Although, I think this was just one guy's musing and it doen't appear to have any legs at all at this point in time.

• Content Count:  549

Maybe it's just me but I think playing Army and Navy every year would be kind of cool and the 5 ooc games have been a pretty tough nut to crack evidenced by Elon, Tenn-Martin, Wofford, Samford ... and if it would help keep ALL the basketball schools in conference that's even more of a reason.

Although, I think this was just one guy's musing and it doen't appear to have any legs at all at this point in time.

Well, I'm gonna break that guys legs just in case.  LMAO  j/k

Who knows, maybe CJL would rather play those teams right now.

Who knows, maybe CJL would rather play those teams right now.

After typing those schools I do rememeber reading that cjl's scheduling formula does include a 1-AA home game each year and those would fall under that criteria ..... some just barely.  ;)

We'll just have to agree to disagree. Adding Army/Navy and still having 4 ooc games doesn't seem like that bad of a deal to me..

• Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

and IF they get access to the Big East Bowls because of this deal which Im sure Navy will require. How many in this board will scream bloody murder when a 8-4 Navy playing mostly cupcakes goes 1-3 in Big East and gets chosen to a BE Bowl over a 8-4 USF that goes 4-3 in Big East. Think it cant happen?

Imagine the Meineke Bowl having to choose between an 8-4 (1-3) Navy team vs a USF 8-4 (4-3). Theyll go with Navy.

Sorry this deal sucks to high heaven. Navy WONT join for full membership

• Content Count:  1,433

and IF they get access to the Big East Bowls because of this deal which Im sure Navy will require. How many in this board will scream bloody murder when a 8-4 Navy playing mostly cupcakes goes 1-3 in Big East and gets chosen to a BE Bowl over a 8-4 USF that goes 4-3 in Big East. Think it cant happen?

Imagine the Meineke Bowl having to choose between an 8-4 (1-3) Navy team vs a USF 8-4 (4-3). Theyll go with Navy.

Sorry this deal sucks to high heaven. Navy WONT join for full membership

Valid point...hopefully such a point has been taken into consideration by Tranghese and those considering the possibilities.

Archived