Will we top 50K ?

E.T.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I believe the capacity for the lower bowl is between 41-42K, so even at 45-46K they have to open upper deck.

To answer the question of this thread, it is all dependent on if we beat AU, imo.  If we beat AU, we get 50K in a couple games.  If not, I don't see how we do.  I think 46-47K is in the bag for WVU and UCF...If we beat AU, you could add another 5K to that.

I keep saying this, but remember, we averaged 39K 2 years ago with the same schedule and a much worse team, with not much hype at all.  I don't see how anyone can say we would average less than that, unless we totally fall apart.  Avg attendance for year will be anywhere between 40-45K depending on how things break.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

50k is an odd number and when I say that I mean that when you are at 50k you will need to open the upper bowl at Ray-J.  I don't know that opening the upper bowl for 4k is worth it.  If you annouce a sellout it may make those tickets a little more valuable.  Again it may be worth opening the upper bowl for 4k.  Maybe someone knows what it costs us to do that.

We opened the Top Deck twice in 2005 and didn't break the 50K mark.

Go BULLS !!!

I  remember it being opened for the FAMU, UCF and WVU games...Making it three times not two.

• Content Count:  195

I believe the capacity for the lower bowl is between 41-42K, so even at 45-46K they have to open upper deck.

To answer the question of this thread, it is all dependent on if we beat AU, imo.  If we beat AU, we get 50K in a couple games.  If not, I don't see how we do.  I think 46-47K is in the bag for WVU and UCF...If we beat AU, you could add another 5K to that.

I keep saying this, but remember, we averaged 39K 2 years ago with the same schedule and a much worse team, with not much hype at all.  I don't see how anyone can say we would average less than that, unless we totally fall apart.  Avg attendance for year will be anywhere between 40-45K depending on how things break.

FAMU (the first time they opened the upper deck) drew a lot more than ELON will.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,284
  • Days Won:  29

... we averaged 39K 2 years ago with the same schedule ...

And I would say that our Season ticket total will alone be 2-3 thousand more.

Go BULLS !!!

I believe the capacity for the lower bowl is [glow=yellow,2,300]between 41-42K[/glow], so even at 45-46K they have to open upper deck.

Yup, BP was right on the #:

Quick question: Don't they have to open the upper tier seats to house 50,000?

I thought the way its setup it only allows 40,000 or so.

Yes the upper deck must be opened to accommodate more than [glow=yellow,2,300]41,441[/glow]. In 2005 one side of the upper deck was opened for 3 games FAMU, UCF and WVU.  That doesn't mean that every seat in the lower bowl had a body in it.  Actual attendance and USF's reported attendance usually aren't the same.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=220391

I keep saying this, but remember, [glow=yellow,2,300]we averaged 39K 2 years ago with the same schedule[/glow] and a much worse team, with not much hype at all.  I don't see how anyone can say we would average less than that, unless we totally fall apart.  Avg attendance for year will be anywhere between 40-45K depending on how things break.

Let me play devil's advocate and talk about how we could, in theory, average less:

1) The UCF game was one of the biggest draws - because it was the first game against UCF.  It's possible that we'll get fewer UCF fans to drive over because of two straight wins, especially if the Knights get off to a poor start.

2) As USFBP said, FAMU drew a lot more fans than Elon will.  Heck, USF even agreed to give FAMU a share of the extra ticket sales because USF knew FAMU would bring a lot of Rattler fans.  Don't see as many Phoenix fans driving down from the Carolinas.

3) The WVU game sold most of the tickets before the U Conn loss that year, because had USF beat U Conn the WVU game would have been for the Big East Championship.  This year's WVU game is our Big East opener. And it's on a Friday night, which would keep anyone involved with high school football from attending the USF game.

4) All of USF's games in 2006 were on Saturdays, with Cincy being the only day game.  Right now USF has at least one Friday game, and the possibility of afternoon games.  We all know how early kickoffs affect attendance.

So, if our three biggest games of 2005 have the potential to draw fewer fans, it is possible - in theory - that USF could average fewer than 39k fans this year.

[]hr]

At the same time, we have six home games this year instead of the five we had in 2005.  We have a team that is clearly better than it was two years ago.  We have more excitement and buzz about the team.  We have more season ticket holders.  We have the potential to easily break the Top 25, and the Tampa Bay area really likes to back a winner (it's ok, our bandwagon has plenty of room).

I think we'll see the Kentucky Weslyan record broken this year. I think we'll easily break the average attendance record this year.  I think USF will need to open the upper deck more than once this year.

Man, could someone invent a way to speed up time??  Two months is still a long time.

• Content Count:  1,757

1.  Joe's statement specified "seats between the 30's".   2. USF attendance figures includes all sold and comped seats not actual bodies in the seats.  The games you noted ( FAMU, UCF and WVU) were attended by large number of visiting fans including many who were seated between the 30's and in the upper deck.     Joe's comment reminded me of my having observed  cars with Gator and Seminole tags parked in USF donor parking lots before games.  You think they might belong to Tampa business owners who have season tickets to the Bulls?

Things to Remember:

-  Many families in the Bay Area have multiple children... first one or even two may have gone to FSU or UF it might have been the second, or third or even fourth child attended USF.  It's much easier to attend a football game in town vs. the respective 2 hour / 4 hour drives to the first kid's college.  And it's still much cheaper. 

-  Many UF and FSU fans did not attend either college.  This state (including Tampa) has a preponderance of redneck college football fans that have little to no association with the college.  UF is regularly sold out, FSU is almost in another state.  Now ask yourself, would you rather stay at home in front of a TV or go to a live game, with pretty college women, in an AWESOME stadium, where a winning program regularly takes on (and wins against) big name BCS (Rich Yankee State) schools?  I guarantee this will result in a crossover from this bandwagon fanbase.

-  There are UF and FSU alumni / fans that still go to USF games regardless of what's going on up there.  It's not as exciting seeing UF continue to dominate vs the Underdog (USF) beating back the odds.  People around here have genuine pride in USF, not just the athletic accomplishments, but the difference this school makes in our community. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Things to Remember:

-  Many families in the Bay Area have multiple children... first one or even two may have gone to FSU or UF it might have been the second, or third or even fourth child attended USF.  It's much easier to attend a football game in town vs. the respective 2 hour / 4 hour drives to the first kid's college.  And it's still much cheaper. 

-  Many UF and FSU fans did not attend either college.  This state (including Tampa) has a preponderance of redneck college football fans that have little to no association with the college.  UF is regularly sold out, FSU is almost in another state.  Now ask yourself, would you rather stay at home in front of a TV or go to a live game, with pretty college women, in an AWESOME stadium, where a winning program regularly takes on (and wins against) big name BCS (Rich Yankee State) schools?  I guarantee this will result in a crossover from this bandwagon fanbase.

-  There are UF and FSU alumni / fans that still go to USF games regardless of what's going on up there.  It's not as exciting seeing UF continue to dominate vs the Underdog (USF) beating back the odds.  People around here have genuine pride in USF, not just the athletic accomplishments, but the difference this school makes in our community. 

I agree a lot with what you have said, but lets not act like FSU and Florida aren't hurting us in attendance. We packed about 33,000 fans a game last year, I think the turnstile count was around 28,000 (which will be higher this year). By comparison, about that same amount make the trip north from Tampa when FSU and Florida are playing.

Further, I really do believe that the FSU and UF fans DO stay home when their teams are playing. Are there a few that show for our games, yes. But usually its when they're squaring off with the Troys and Rices of college football. However, I think you're underestimating the commitment of fans (yes, even those "rednecks" who have no affiliation are pretty committed fans).

As long as USF is in the state of Florida (and last I checked it will always be) they are going to be held to a high standard for what is successful and what isn't. Unfortunately 8-4 seasons have gotten coaches fired in this state, and generally its looked upon as a failure. College Football fans in the area are more consumed with opponents like Auburn, Virginia Tech, and Tennessee than they are Rutgers, Pitt, and Louisville (or any other "Yankee Rich School"). For us to tackle this market to the full extent, we're gonna have to a) Win more (which we're on the track to do) and B) bring some sexier opponents in (Miami is a start).

Tampa is an SEC market (rated after Atlanta and Orlando; barely beating Nashville)...We'll get them one day, but for now, UF and FSU are putting a hurtin for ACTUAL attendance.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

I agree a lot with what you have said, but lets not act like FSU and Florida aren't hurting us in attendance. We packed about 33,000 fans a game last year, I think the turnstile count was around 28,000 (which will be higher this year).

Close...just a tad off:

Tampa Tribune:

2006 Actual USF Attendance:

FEWER FANS THAN 2005: Despite averaging 3,000 fewer fans than last season, USF's 2006 actual average football attendance (24,775) was the third-highest in program history.

USF's game-by-game actual attendance: Pittsburgh (30,054), Rutgers (28,579), UConn (23,779), Syracuse (23,353), Florida International (21,960) and McNeese State (20,930).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

I agree a lot with what you have said, but lets not act like FSU and Florida aren't hurting us in attendance. We packed about 33,000 fans a game last year, I think the turnstile count was around 28,000 (which will be higher this year).

Close...just a tad off:

Tampa Tribune:

2006 Actual USF Attendance:

FEWER FANS THAN 2005: Despite averaging 3,000 fewer fans than last season, USF's 2006 actual average football attendance (24,775) was the third-highest in program history.

USF's game-by-game actual attendance: Pittsburgh (30,054), Rutgers (28,579), UConn (23,779), Syracuse (23,353), Florida International (21,960) and McNeese State (20,930).

Link?

• Content Count:  937

we would fill the stadium every game if teachers gave extra credit out for attending

Archived