Tuition differential to become a reality

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

I thought Crist had already vetoed it, and there was a story in the Trib today that we are raising our graduate students tuition 10% and that he already vetoed it.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/jun/27/me-usf-graduate-student-tuition-rises-10/?news-metro

Crist was going to veto the bill but all 11 public university presidents met with Crist and explained to him that they all agreed with the bill so he didn't veto it but he also didn't sign it which effectively let it become law.

He actually did sign it, although it was reported otherwise initially.

--------------------------

Dear Secretary Browning:

By the authority vested in me as Governor of Florida, under the provisions of Article III, Section 8, of the Constitution of Florida, I do hereby transmit Committee Substitute for Senate Bill 1710, with my signature, enacted during the 109th Session of the Legislature of Florida, since statehood in 1845, during the Regular Session of 2007 and entitled:

An act relating to academic fees

This bill allows three universities - Florida State University, University of Florida, and the University of South Florida - to increase resident undergraduate tuition by as much as 15% per year. The mission of our public universities must have at its heart the guarantee of accessibility and affordability to our citizens. Along with accessibility, however, we must also strive for excellence.

I vetoed a five percent tuition increase in May. I am keenly aware that many Floridians are struggling to pay higher costs for fuel, taxes, and insurance. The five percent tuition increase would simply have added to this burden.

Today, I met with the presidents of the eleven universities in the State University System. They unanimously support the ability of Florida State University, University of Florida, and University of South Florida to raise tuition. I am convinced that the state university presidents' support for this bill reflects a valid concern with the resources available to provide students with a high quality education, faculty and support services.

I have agreed to sign this legislation into law for these three universities in reliance upon a pledge by the presidents of Florida State University, University of Florida, and University of South Florida to delay any increase of tuition until Fall 2008. In the meantime, the eleven state university presidents and I agree to work together with the Legislature to find ways to fund state universities that mitigate, if not eliminate, the need for increased tuition revenues. This partnership will be a powerful force working to improve the quality and status of the State University System. Our students and fellow Floridians deserve nothing less. The delay will also allow the relief afforded by the Florida Legislature's good work to reduce property insurance and property taxes to stimulate our economy and return more of our citizens' hard earned dollars to them.

I hereby sign into law, Committee Substitute for Senate Bill 1710.

Sincerely, Charlie Crist

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I thought Crist had already vetoed it, and there was a story in the Trib today that we are raising our graduate students tuition 10% and that he already vetoed it.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/jun/27/me-usf-graduate-student-tuition-rises-10/?news-metro

Crist was going to veto the bill but all 11 public university presidents met with Crist and explained to him that they all agreed with the bill so he didn't veto it but he also didn't sign it which effectively let it become law.

Just adding to Drewski's point...

Check this update (happened yesterday afternoon):

UPDATE: Crist signed the legislation into law Wednesday afternoon, adding a letter in which the governor said: "I am convinced that the state university presidents' support for this bill reflects a valid concern with the resources available to provide students with a high quality education, faculty and support services."

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_politics/2007/06/crist-to-okay-t.html

Archived