Tuition differential to become a reality

Drewski

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe that any tuition revenue can be spent on an OCS.  Which is the way it should be. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Grandfathering in current students would be very helpful. Hopefully it would also prod students to figure out what they want to get their degree in so they don't spend seven or eight years puttering around and clogging up the system.

• Content Count:  478

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe that any tuition revenue can be spent on an OCS.  Which is the way it should be. 

i think you're right. Jim or one of the kids in student government can probably tell us for sure. and yes, that is the way it should be.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I think it can, but it has to be labeled in the tuition as "OCS fund". Much like how there is the "Athletic Fee".

i think you're right. Jim or one of the kids in student government can probably tell us for sure. and yes, that is the way it should be.

Actually, CITF fees - which are paid as part of your "tuition" can be used on stadiums.  CITF money originally paid for the Sun Dome and for (at last part) of it's new roof.

However, CITF fees are set by the legislature and are no part of this differential tuition.

Jamie - The bill specifically excludes anyone enrolled at USF on or before July 1.  It also excludes anyone on a "Florida pre-paid" program.

Also, USF has said they will not implement the tuition until 2008.

Where did you hear about the July 1 thing? Hope thats true, this stuff is expensive enough already.

It's in the bill (SB 1710):

(B)  The tuition differential may not be calculated as a part of the scholarship programs established in ss. 1009.53-1009.537.

--> Bright House Futures scholarship students will pay the differential portion out of their pockets; it won't be covered by their scholarships.

©  Beneficiaries having prepaid tuition contracts pursuant to s. 1009.98(2)(B) which were in effect on July 1, 2007, and which remain in effect, are exempt from the payment of the tuition differential.

--> Prepaid students are exempt from paying the differential portion.

(d)  The tuition differential may not be charged to any student who was in attendance at the university before July 1, 2007, and who maintains continuous enrollment.

--> Current students are exempt from paying the differential portion.

(e)  The tuition differential may be waived by the university for students who meet the eligibility requirements for the Florida public student assistance grant established in s. 1009.50.

--> USF can waive the differential portion for some recipients of Finacial aid.

Grandfathering in current students would be very helpful. Hopefully it would also prod students to figure out what they want to get their degree in so they don't spend seven or eight years puttering around and clogging up the system.

It's my opinion that instate students should be limited in the number of credit hours that can take at the Florida resident's rate.  I don't believe that the tax payers should be underwriting "professional students" and malingers.

This issue comes up in the legislature every year... both for university students and community college students.  I think for university, they look at around 130-140 total credits to incentivize students to graduate.

• Content Count:  3,574

This is FANTASTIC!

Finally...

• Content Count:  3,574

Great I like our school being part of the elite, but what is the point of this?  What is it going to do to help our school beside bring in a little more money?

ProudBull... here’s part of it.

The $20 million-plus in extra revenues the three schools would each collect through 2010 would allow them to address overcrowding in bachelor's degree programs, they said.

Check this one out...

Gov. Charlie Crist said Wednesday he would allow a controversial bill to pass into law that creates a tiered-tuition hike for incoming undergraduates at Florida's flagship public universities.

and this one...

he was hoping to avoid those kinds of steps by allowing the tiered-tuition levels for the state's top research schools.

This could help decrease class size (student/faculty ratio) by hiring more faculty and help increase the grants received by faculty... and let’s not forget about better graduation rates.

All of these factors help drive the ratings of the 3 schools

:gobulls

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070627/CAPITOLNEWS/70627014

Archived