Good News on the QB Scene

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Voss makes the grade

NCAA declares Gulf graduate academically eligible to play for USF.

By IZZY GOULD

Published June 21, 2007

NEW PORT RICHEY - Alton Voss enjoyed his first summer afternoon with a clear mind - Wednesday was the first day he truly knew he would play for USF.

For months the Bulls signee and former Gulf quarterback anxiously awaited the NCAA Clearinghouse to declare him academically eligible to play collegiately. A random call to the NCAA after a Wednesday morning workout revealed more than the test score he was looking for.

Voss called the NCAA to see if it had received an ACT score from a recent test. An NCAA representative told Voss it didn't matter because he already was qualified.

The Clearinghouse was checking into a course Voss took last summer to replace a grade. Once the NCAA received a principal's signature signing off on the class, Voss was cleared.

"It felt like a thousand pounds were lifted off of my shoulders, " Voss said. "In the back of my head I was always worried."

Voss spoke with USF coach Jim Leavitt last week and was reassured USF had a backup plan if Voss did not qualify. One thought was to grayshirt Voss, which would have delayed the beginning of his eligibility. Voss said attending a prep school was not an option.

"Leavitt said if you don't make the score we're going to keep you here until January and grayshirt you, " Voss said. "They weren't getting too worried. They weren't going to send me off to a junior college. They definitely wanted me to be qualified; now I am."

Voss leaves for summer classes Wednesday where he will take part in USF's offseason conditioning. He is among three quarterbacks listed on the roster, including last year's starter Matt Grothe and Grant Gregory.

Voss reiterated his desire to be redshirted in hopes of distancing himself from Grothe, who established himself as a star last fall.

"(Grothe's) so young, " Voss said of the sophomore. "But it's like any position, you have to go in there and compete and just do my best."

Voss was recruited by many schools as an "athlete" and programs such as Florida hoped to sign him for a position to be named later. Voss played quarterback and linebacker at Gulf. He was a Times' first-team defensive player with a county-high eight sacks. Offensively, he was the No. 2 scorer in the county with 96 points.

"I told my mom I don't even know how to feel, all the pressure's gone, " Voss said of being qualified. "It feels kind of weird. I expected to be qualified. It just took longer than I thought."

http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/21/Sports/Voss_makes_the_grade.shtml

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

He'll lead us to victory in The Swamp!!!

• Content Count:  3,185
  • Days Won:  1

This is great news.  Just for clarification, if we redshirt Voss, would he have two eligible seasons following Grothe?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I believe so.

Grothe Sophomore - Voss RS

Grothe Junior - Voss Freshman

Grothe Senior - Voss Sophomore

Voss Junior

Voss Senior

• Content Count:  518
  • Days Won:  0

Is it me or is it scary that a QB is having trouble qualifying?  Is it a reflection of his work ethic or decision making skills?  Would rather see him as a DB instead.

• Content Count:  4,016

Oh my, no idea of the facts and we're already knocking the kid?

I think some of it had to do with a class he took last summer that they were not sure if it was going to qualify.  Had it qualified this would have happened months ago. 

Also, every kid must get cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play, and they are not fully cleared until the NCAA gets final transcripts, and test grades.  Voss' availability didn't seem nearly as in question as other players.

• Content Count:  195

Is it me or is it scary that a QB is having trouble qualifying?  Is it a reflection of his work ethic or decision making skills?  Would rather see him as a DB instead.

Nope! It's not you.

• Content Count:  518

I think some of it had to do with a class he took last summer that they were not sure if it was going to qualify.  Had it qualified this would have happened months ago. 

Also, every kid must get cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse to play, and they are not fully cleared until the NCAA gets final transcripts, and test grades.  Voss' availability didn't seem nearly as in question as other players.

Not trying to knock him, I was just curious as to why he wasn't qualified.  You're right I do not have all of the facts.  All I have heard for a while was he may not qualify and was retaking the ACT.  To me that sounds like he didn't have very good grades and needed a higher test score to qualify.  If I'm wrong i apoligize.  To me a QB has to be more than an athlete.  He is a leader.  He has to be able to study playbooks and film and make quick decisions.  How one does in high school can, but not always, be a direct reflection on how the kid will do in college. 

This just makes me nervous that a kid we might be relying on to be the starting QB might have grade problems.  This could lead to eligiblility issues and/or take time away from studying film and the playbook.  Out of all of the positions on the field, this is one were I do not expect to see grades as an issue. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Not trying to knock him, I was just curious as to why he wasn't qualified.  You're right I do not have all of the facts.  All I have heard for a while was he may not qualify and was retaking the ACT.  To me that sounds like he didn't have very good grades and needed a higher test score to qualify.  If I'm wrong i apoligize.  To me a QB has to be more than an athlete.  He is a leader.  He has to be able to study playbooks and film and make quick decisions.  How one does in high school can, but not always, be a direct reflection on how the kid will do in college. 

This just makes me nervous that a kid we might be relying on to be the starting QB might have grade problems.  This could lead to eligiblility issues and/or take time away from studying film and the playbook.  Out of all of the positions on the field, this is one were I do not expect to see grades as an issue. 

Well, the good news is we won't need him this year, and most likely won't need or use him at QB next year. So that gives Alton 2 full years to learn the playbook, learn how to be a successful college student, and mature as a person. If you read what he was saying and understand the effort that he was putting in to ensure that he qualified in time for the last session of the Summer, then there should be no question about his desire or leadership ability. The Clearinghouse process can be a tricky thing and, from what I understand, can take awihle, even for those with exceptional test scores and GPA.

Congratulations Alton. I look forward to seeing you in the green and gold, representing the NPR!!!!!

Archived