• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,273
  • Days Won:  29

:gobulls

Hook 'em Bulls

War Bull

Roll Bull

GO BIG BULL!

So, who's going to be wearing green at Ray Jay this year?  8)

:clap

I'll be wearing GREEN !!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

I  wear a green shirt to games except when it's being played in the hot sun, then it's white with green and gold trim.  I wore a green shirt to the 2 pm UCF game in Orlando and will never do that again.

• Content Count:  3,103

While USF Football is only 11 years old, the university is over 50, and basketball has been around more than 35 years.

Rocky the mascot didn't just happen naturally, someone came up with the idea years ago and the character has evolved  through the years into the Rocky we know today.

Yes the Bull sign was copied from Texas, but to me USF having a live mascot wouldn't be copying Texas.  I doubt that Texas was the first school to use a live animal mascot.  Army's mule and Navy's goat ater two that come to mind.

the costumed Rocky came about so that the bookstore could sell little stuffed rocky's.  the original idea for Rocky came because students back in the day wanted a mascot, they had a contest, years later we have Rocky the Bull.

• Content Count:  3,103

I think traditions come with time and acceptance by the masses, not by a group trying to implement one. It just sort of happens. As for originality, it's going to be hard starting a tradition and not have another school say we copied theirs. We've only got 10 years of football, which is by far one of the youngest, so only time will tell what happens.

Did Albert and Alberta ( UF Gators) just come with time or did some individual or group come up with the idea?  The Gator Chomp?

How about the University of Oklahoma's Sooner Schooner, did it just fall from the sky or was it a carefully planned concept?

Does the Iconic Bull lack originality?   Why should it be hard for USF to come up with original ideas?   Do you believe USF lacks people with creative minds?  If not then why?

I think the actual mascots were implemented.. but the Gator Chomp or the FSU tomahawk, I'm sure those just grew from a bunch of people doing them.  Like Miami and their "U" that they make with both hands.. i never remember seeing that in the 80's and early 90's.. hell, Miami wasn't even called the "U" until recently-- 1st time i saw it was on monday night football when the players would introduce themselves and the school they went to.

as for us, i think we will always be criticized for copying Texas.  Our bullhorns are like the Longhorn symbols and even when we bring in this supposed live bull to the field, Texas does the same thing with Bevo.

At the Miami game in '05, a friend of mine who is both a UM (bach.) and USF (mas.) graduate, that they started doing the U sign because the president (at the time) was upset with the way the student section represented during an FSU game.  Apparently the UM students did their own tomahawk chop, with a certain finger extended.  The president suggested that UM students were better than that, and needed to find a less 'vulgar' way to show their school pride.

Not sure how accurate the explanation is, but that is what I was told.

As for people upset that traditions are being "made" -- well, yeah, that is how traditions start.  Someone thinks of a good idea, shares it with as many people as possible, and enough agree to do it.  It has to be made... very very few things that last start completely spontaneously.

I can see that story being true, as I used to do that when I would attend Canes games and made fun of my friends who liked FSU.  Hell I even did it this past year when FSU was playing Providence after our game vs Wake Forest in the forum. 

Archived