Let's discuss football traditions

usfbp

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,274
  • Days Won:  29

The BULL Horns are not copied, we are BULLS and BULLS have horns.

Many people talk about Michigan's helmet, that was copied.

I think EVERYONE should just do what they want ... things will stick and become traditions.

The Taxas A & M bon fire probably didn't just happen, sure it was some sort of organized deal, Mutt ?

Mr. Two Bits is a Citadel grad that is married to a FSU grad and they attended Gator games way back and he always had more enthusiasm than anyone else and his antics grew ... sure many just rolled their eyes at the wacko originally. Oh, he copied "Two-Bits".

Let's keep tradition threads going.

Lately, Lakeland has had Swna & Butterfly statues to help beautify the downtown. I likke the idea of BULLS around campus. Maybe if they could be about a $2,500 donation.

Keep ideas coming and DO what ever you want at games or on campus.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

Understand, you can't force traditions on people. Real traditions become just that, because they stand the test of time. Mascots and logos are not really traditions (except for the Stanford tree). Also, most of the programs and schools you are comparing, are over 100 years old. We are just over 50/10. I would love to have our own original tradition, but odds are against us in the originality department, especially with Texas/Colorado. Just let it happen, don't force it.

Ok so we copied UT's " Hook'em Horns" hand sign, but WTF do a steer ( Do you even know what a steer is? ) and a buffalo have to do with USF's BULL and how do they make it hard for USF from coming up with original ideas?    How many teams fire cannons after a touchdown.    WV fires a musket is that the same as the OU RufNeks shooting their shotguns? 

While logos and mascots are not traditions in themselves, how you use them can be.  IE: The Sooner Schooner riding on the field after touchdowns. 

Thankfully their are always people who don't subscribe to your "just let it happen" philosophy or we would still be living in caves.  NASA didn't just wait for it to happen, they put a man on the moon.  The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade didn't "just happen".  USF football isn't where it is because people "just let it happen".  To some degree they forced it, while UCF didn't and we all know where there football program is today. ;D

Some people are thinkers, others are facilitators while others just sit back and wait for things to happen.  Without the thinkers and facilitators good things rarely happen.

The best part of people "trying" to make traditions is their passion for USF . . . why would some wish to squelch it?

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  400

The only tradition right now that I think will get off the ground is the wearing of the horns at games.  The only reason why is that people are currently doing it (unlike some of these made up traditions that some of you guys are talking about that you are trying to implement).

I can't really think of any college program who wears horns.  The only fanbase that I know who does the same thing is the Minnesota Vikings.. I'd really like to see more people donning the horns.. it can be kinda like what the Cheeseheads are to Green Bay.

Most of the horned head gear that I have seen at games look more like vikings than Bulls... a few single horned rhinos and some  that look more like mountain goats than Bulls....but hey, whatever floats their boats 

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Understand, you can't force traditions on people. Real traditions become just that, because they stand the test of time. Mascots and logos are not really traditions (except for the Stanford tree). Also, most of the programs and schools you are comparing, are over 100 years old. We are just over 50/10. I would love to have our own original tradition, but odds are against us in the originality department, especially with Texas/Colorado. Just let it happen, don't force it.

Ok so we copied UT's " Hook'em Horns" hand sign, but WTF do a steer ( Do you even know what a steer is? ) and a buffalo have to do with USF's BULL and how do they make it hard for USF from coming up with original ideas?    How many teams fire cannons after a touchdown.    WV fires a musket is that the same as the OU RufNeks shooting their shotguns? 

While logos and mascots are not traditions in themselves, how you use them can be.  IE: The Sooner Schooner riding on the field after touchdowns. 

Thankfully their are always people who don't subscribe to your "just let it happen" philosophy or we would still be living in caves.  NASA didn't just wait for it to happen, they put a man on the moon.  The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade didn't "just happen".  USF football isn't where it is because people "just let it happen".  To some degree they forced it, while UCF didn't and we all know where there football program is today. ;D

Some people are thinkers, others are facilitators while others just sit back and wait for things to happen.  Without the thinkers and facilitators good things rarely happen.

I'm not going to bother anymore. You've attacked me twice in your posts for my OPINION. Why are you going to start a thread asking a question, if you're not going to want to hear what other people think?

... trying to implement).

... I'd really like to see more people donning the horns.

Just don't push it too hard  ;D Your statement is no different that what other people are saying. I have not seen a post on this thread about people pushing anything. Just ideas that they think are good.

And I don't consider wearing headgear is considered "tradition" - same as the "Go BULLS" sign, it's just something BULLS do. And I LOVE giving the Go BULLS sign !

If somebody wants to do something that IS about USF ... why stop their entusiasm ? Don't stop your thoughts/ideas outrunner ... keep flooding this board with thoughts. Open minds will listen.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  928

Thankfully their are always people who don't subscribe to your "just let it happen" philosophy or we would still be living in caves.  NASA didn't just wait for it to happen, they put a man on the moon.  The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade didn't "just happen".   USF football isn't where it is because people "just let it happen".   To some degree they forced it, while UCF didn't and we all know where there football program is today. ;D

Or did they??

:gobulls

Hook 'em Bulls

War Bull

Roll Bull

GO BIG BULL!

So, who's going to be wearing green at Ray Jay this year?  8)

I'm not going to bother anymore. You've attacked me twice in your posts for my OPINION. Why are you going to start a thread asking a question, if you're not going to want to hear what other people think?

I didn't attack YOU. I happen to disagree strongly with your "just let it happen" philosophy and other opinions and voiced my opinion about it.  I believe that is what discussions are about.  I'm sorry if I that hurt your feelings.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

I didn't attack YOU. I happen to disagree strongly with your "just let it happen" philosophy and voiced my opinion about it. I'm sorry if I that hurt your feelings.

Maybe  your " it just sort of happens." philosophy is the reason that USF doesn't have many traditions after 10 years of football.

but WTF do a steer ( Do you even know what a steer is? ) and a buffalo have to do with USF's BULL and how do they make it hard for USF from coming up with original ideas?

I found these to be attacks on me. There's strongly disagreeing, and then there's backhand slap at me.

Archived