Let's discuss football traditions

usfbp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Well, I know the student government does they're tailgate every game, but I like hanging out with my own crowd.  THe tailgate seems to be functioning though.

One tradition I meant to start for homecoming last year, but I forgot to do it, was to Bull up the MLK bust on campass.  I considered painting it green and gold because there's bronze statue at UF that gets painted during homecoming, but I figured that would be written off as racism.  So, this year I'll get him a shirt, a hat, some horns, beads, and perhaps some of the easily washable paint to put under his eyes.

Other than that I just tailgate. I like to camp out over night one game a year too, which usually gets free old mall parking lot parking too.

I like Bush League signs at games too. Hell I'm a Bush League fan :)

Vandalism as a tradition?  :o It might sound fun when you're a student....but I can't imagine ppl not getting really upset about doing that to MLK. Not to mention the cops.

It might just be me tho....  :-[

That's why we need a statue of a bull on-campus, not just locked up in the athletic building.

Is there a bull statue in the athletic building? 

I agree about this.  Are there any bulls on campus?  That would be a good starting point for pride on campus.

There are a a few of them inside the Athletics Building.  If you haven't been in that building, I encourage it.  I got a tour from the lady at the front desk during the week of the bowl game.  Its worth it.  You don't realize how far our football program has come until you check that building out.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

This "tradition" threads wear me out.

That's the problem with the youth of today;  They eat too much, junk food, get very little physical exercise, spend too many hours surfing the web, watching the boob tube and talking on their cell phones.. It's not surprising to hear that threads wear them out ::)

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

mmm....junk food....

• Content Count:  400

USF needs to start a tradition where Sonny's BBQ caters and gives out free BBQ ribs in the parking lot (provided you show an ID).  That would be pretty sweet.

I think traditions come with time and acceptance by the masses, not by a group trying to implement one. It just sort of happens. As for originality, it's going to be hard starting a tradition and not have another school say we copied theirs. We've only got 10 years of football, which is by far one of the youngest, so only time will tell what happens.

Did Albert and Alberta ( UF Gators) just come with time or did some individual or group come up with the idea?  The Gator Chomp?

How about the University of Oklahoma's Sooner Schooner, did it just fall from the sky or was it a carefully planned concept?

Does the Iconic Bull lack originality?  Why should it be hard for USF to come up with original ideas?  Do you believe USF lacks people with creative minds?  If not then why?

USF needs to start a tradition where Sonny's BBQ caters and gives out free BBQ ribs in the parking lot (provided you show an ID).  That would be pretty sweet.

Sweet yes, Sonny's does use a lot of sugar.

IMO there are far better BBQ out there than Sonny's ;) but if you hire Sonny's I'm sure most people will not complain. ;D

• Content Count:  400

I think traditions come with time and acceptance by the masses, not by a group trying to implement one. It just sort of happens. As for originality, it's going to be hard starting a tradition and not have another school say we copied theirs. We've only got 10 years of football, which is by far one of the youngest, so only time will tell what happens.

Did Albert and Alberta ( UF Gators) just come with time or did some individual or group come up with the idea?  The Gator Chomp?

How about the University of Oklahoma's Sooner Schooner, did it just fall from the sky or was it a carefully planned concept?

Does the Iconic Bull lack originality?  Why should it be hard for USF to come up with original ideas?  Do you believe USF lacks people with creative minds?  If not then why?

I think the actual mascots were implemented.. but the Gator Chomp or the FSU tomahawk, I'm sure those just grew from a bunch of people doing them.  Like Miami and their "U" that they make with both hands.. i never remember seeing that in the 80's and early 90's.. hell, Miami wasn't even called the "U" until recently-- 1st time i saw it was on monday night football when the players would introduce themselves and the school they went to.

as for us, i think we will always be criticized for copying Texas.  Our bullhorns are like the Longhorn symbols and even when we bring in this supposed live bull to the field, Texas does the same thing with Bevo.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Albert was the name of the Gator logo, and there was an alligator costume since the 50s, but they officially named him Albert down the line. Alberta was added in the mid 1980s in the PC era. The Gator Chomp was rumored to start from 2 things. I guess the Gator cheerleaders used to have a cheer that incorporated the chomp. The Gator band was used in the filming of one of the Jaws movies, so the jaws music came from that. I guess they put two and two together. I do know when I was very young and we lived in Gainesville, they were doing the chomp.

FSU's chop came in a game in the mid 80s when band started it with scalp em cheer, this continued after the song was played with the student section continued the chant (without the chop). The band later refined the war chant music which by the late 80s and the fans added the Seminole Chop.

From wiki - The Schooner made its debut at Owen Field in 1964, and it became the University's official mascot in 1980. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sooner_Schooner

Does the Iconic Bull lack originality?   Why should it be hard for USF to come up with original ideas?   Do you believe USF lacks people with creative minds?  If not then why?

We have the Bull Horns sign, which is the same as Texas' Hook Em Horns. Original ideas will come up, the problem is so many are trying to MAKE things traditions that can't be made. Traditions will come naturally, I wish so many wouldn't worry about it.

While USF Football is only 11 years old, the university is over 50, and basketball has been around more than 35 years.

Rocky the mascot didn't just happen naturally, someone came up with the idea years ago and the character has evolved  through the years into the Rocky we know today.

Yes the Bull sign was copied from Texas, but to me USF having a live mascot wouldn't be copying Texas.  I doubt that Texas was the first school to use a live animal mascot.  Army's mule and Navy's goat ater two that come to mind.

In the process of looking up the Sooner Schooner, I came across this:

Mascots Boomer and Sooner

"The pair were introduced at the Big Red Rally on campus on August 26, 2005. A number of groups participated in the process of researching and devising the new mascots over a period of nearly three years. "

Everything doesn't "just come naturally". ;)

Go Bulls!

Archived