Let's discuss football traditions

usfbp

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

Questions regarding traditions.

1.  What football activities/traditions have the AD attempted, created, or fostered? 

If an attempt failed why do you think it didn't catch on?

2.  What football activities/traditions have the SG attempted, created, or fostered?

If an attempt failed why do you think it didn't catch on?       

3.  Which are truly unique to USF rather than copied from another schools or pro team?

4.  What traditions have been created, attempted, or fostered  by the fan base.

5.  What would you like to see become a USF football tradition(s)?  *Please don't talk championships, winning games or painting the field, ect. etc.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Well, I know the student government does they're tailgate every game, but I like hanging out with my own crowd.  THe tailgate seems to be functioning though.

One tradition I meant to start for homecoming last year, but I forgot to do it, was to Bull up the MLK bust on campass.  I considered painting it green and gold because there's bronze statue at UF that gets painted during homecoming, but I figured that would be written off as racism.  So, this year I'll get him a shirt, a hat, some horns, beads, and perhaps some of the easily washable paint to put under his eyes.

Other than that I just tailgate. I like to camp out over night one game a year too, which usually gets free old mall parking lot parking too.

I like Bush League signs at games too. Hell I'm a Bush League fan :)

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

"First Down...BULLS!!!!

ba-dop-bop-bop-baa

"I'm Lovin' It"

Not my favorite, but funny to see.

I think traditions come with time and acceptance by the masses, not by a group trying to implement one. It just sort of happens. As for originality, it's going to be hard starting a tradition and not have another school say we copied theirs. We've only got 10 years of football, which is by far one of the youngest, so only time will tell what happens.

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

"And that's another - FIRST DOWN  ...  BUUULLLLLLSS!"

I think the announcers, and the powers that be, need to get away from worrying about hurting the visitors feelings

Was it 'Bama or SC that has one where the entire home crowd shouts in unison "KISS MY A$$" at the end of a cheer?

GO BULLS!

"First Down...BULLS!!!!

ba-dop-bop-bop-baa

"I'm Lovin' It"

Not my favorite, but funny to see.

I think traditions come with time and acceptance by the masses, not by a group trying to implement one. It just sort of happens. As for originality, it's going to be hard starting a tradition and not have another school say we copied theirs. We've only got 10 years of football, which is by far one of the youngest, so only time will tell what happens.

I strongly disagree...Traditions  do not come about without someone first planning/implementing the activity.  Maybe  your " it just sort of happens." philosophy is the reason that USF doesn't have many traditions after 10 years of football.

If Great Great Grandma Smith didn't first roast a duck with chestnut stuffing on New Years Day back on January 1st 1895 then the Smith's wouldn't be having their traditional roast duck dinner on New Years Day 2008.

I began high school  in a brand new school, so we didn't have any traditions to carry on or build on, but by the time I graduated we had left some for the for the classes that followed ours.  Some things were tried but later dropped for one reason or another.  One that didn't last very long was the introduction of a live animal mascot by the administration/athletic department.

Re: copying:  There's a difference in doing "the wave" and singng your alma mater before of after a game.

One thing that I would like to become an annual tradition is inviting/honoring the players and coaches from teams from the past at a game.  2007 would be the perfect year to start by honoring the team from 1997 and then continuing it on in 2008 with the 1998 team and so on.  Without those players and coaches, Bulls football wouldn't be where it is today.

• Content Count:  1,260

Well, I know the student government does they're tailgate every game, but I like hanging out with my own crowd.  THe tailgate seems to be functioning though.

One tradition I meant to start for homecoming last year, but I forgot to do it, was to Bull up the MLK bust on campass.  I considered painting it green and gold because there's bronze statue at UF that gets painted during homecoming, but I figured that would be written off as racism.  So, this year I'll get him a shirt, a hat, some horns, beads, and perhaps some of the easily washable paint to put under his eyes.

Other than that I just tailgate. I like to camp out over night one game a year too, which usually gets free old mall parking lot parking too.

Vandalism as a tradition?  :o It might sound fun when you're a student....but I can't imagine ppl not getting really upset about doing that to MLK. Not to mention the cops.

It might just be me tho....  :-[

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Vandalism as a tradition?  :o It might sound fun when you're a student....but I can't imagine ppl not getting really upset about doing that to MLK. Not to mention the cops.

That's why we need a statue of a bull on-campus, not just locked up in the athletic building.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

This "tradition" threads wear me out. It's the same thing, twice a week. Let them blossom on their own. You think there was someone on a message board saying, "Hey, let's have the marching band play #8 a bunch of times every game, that would be a neat tradition!"

• Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

That's why we need a statue of a bull on-campus, not just locked up in the athletic building.

Is there a bull statue in the athletic building? 

I agree about this.  Are there any bulls on campus?  That would be a good starting point for pride on campus.

Archived