Gotsta ask: in your heart, do you think we'll have a running game?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I think all the ingredients are there for us to have a serviceable running game (more talent at the RB spot, the o-line returning everyone).  But it all comes down to how much the offensive line improved in the offseason.  I say it will be better than last year but not great.  As long as its good enough to keep defenses honest thats all we really need IMO. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Because there is no experience after Williams, I am very concerned about the running game.  I think there is talent and physical ability/strength in the position, but we had some of that last year to a degree with Dorsey, although obviously not to the degree we have this year.  In my heart, I believe it will be much better this year, but right now I am concerned because of the lack of experience.

One thing about experience.  After one of the early games, I was talking to one of the players that I am friendly with.  We asked him why we don't use Dorsey more because he seems much more physically gifted than the other guys we were using.  His reply was pretty blunt:  He misses a lot of blocking assignments and hurts the rest of the offense.  His answer after that was a blatant:  I told you.... Freshman should not be playing .  All we could do was laugh, but I have been thinking about that with our lack of experience.  It worries me in the  RB positiion.

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

In my heart... YES.

But, I have to agree with the folks that say, "IF THE O-LINE".  It all starts up front, always has, and always will. Both sides of the ball.

I EXPECT better this year.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I'm with dabull. I don't think experience is as important as some people think. Talent is far more important. Slaton started as the 4th string RB entering his 1st year. He got a couple of early looks but didn't establish himself until midway through the season. He still ran for 1100 yards and had 17 TD's.Not to mention A Peterson and Cllarrett. Freshman can come in and contribute in a big way. Plus I think Ford has been with the program for at least half a year including this year's spring game. I'm sure they have him working on blocking schemes etc. It also doesn't hurt that we have a mobile QB who can escape the rush. If he is as good as advertised, I see no reason why he can't win the job early. Just don't use him on obvious passing downs if his blocking stinks.

• Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

The question of the O-line is really the key. All our backs can make pretty big plays with a great O-line.  I think we will have more of a running game than last year, but is that really saying anything?  It will take off some of the pressure off of Grothe which will allow him to use his head a little more.  However, sometimes I think he thrives on being in those types of suitations

In some ways I can care less about the AU game, as long as we can run through UL and WVU defenses and win all the other games than I'm happy.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,803
  • Days Won:  213

imo, the running game this season will rely on three words:

BUILT FORD TOUGH

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

imo, the running game this season will rely on three words:

BUILT FORD TOUGH

Too bad we're sponsered by dodge  :-\

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

when do you think we'll see a power I formation

Our first 3rd and 1, thats when we'll see a power I.

I think we'll have a number of backs around the 500 yard mark for the season.  Maybe Plancher, Ford, and Samuels all get to that number.  Grothe will be close to that number, but not quite as high.  I think Leavitt understands that USF will have a hard time winning if Grothe is on the sideline with another injury, so that will limit his rushing.  The majority of his yards will be on broken plays in the passing game.

• Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

barring injury the running game will be 10 times better than last year...and watch out for Aston Samuels....he could step in and take over. I see a heavy rotation of all 3 and Plancher as well but I've heard that he hasnt healed all the way(correct me if I'm wrong). and If we have Williams/Samuels/Ford/Plancher, its better than Williams/Erskin/W. Smith/Dorsey(RIP)...IMO Erskin will be a much better reciever than tailback

• Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

Don't forget about Cannon, he was impressive in the spring game as well.

Archived