Ricky Ponton - Glad to see ya go!

USF-PMR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  195
  • Days Won:  0

When MG was out of the game due to injury, we had a QB with a ton of experience to replace him. PJ didn't have to win the game, he just needed to manage it. i.e. ECU. I wish he was still around this season in case MG gets hurt again because our new 2nd string QB has no experience to draw from. 

Now, let's get this straight.....I'm not one of the posters saying he was a waste of scholarship, okay?  That is a bit excessive indeed.  Like I said before, Pat was a guy who kept his nose clean and worked hard -- he just was a bad QB.

That being said, how can you say he "managed the game"?  That is just silly.  He took the snaps from Capogna and handed it off three times, then trotted off as Teachey came on for the "Rugby Punt."  He did that for almost the entire 2nd half.  If that's "managing a game," then we can stick anybody with a pulse back there (long snapper, punter, kicker, 5th string left guard, etc.) to take the snaps and hand the ball off.

::)

Just because guys are getting silly on one extreme doesn't mean we should be equally as silly on the other.

Yeah, you are right, anyone can just come in, take the snap and hand off.  Just like Denson did when he was the QB.  Just like Carlton Hill did in Charlotte.....and both of those guys were top rated QBs coming out of high school.

Ummmm I think there is a little more to it than just handing off.  The reason people talk about having experience is because it is more than just walking on the field in a big game, even if it was a minor bowl.

As MamaBull said, time to move on.  We have a strong leader and a talented QB in Grothe.  I'm concerned about the lack of experience backing him up.

Does the name Hunter Caldwell mean anything to you?

Cantwell walked on to the Louisville Cardinals football team prior to the 2005 season. On November 25 2005, QB Brian Brohm injured his leg in a game against Syracuse and was going to miss the rest of the season. He stepped in and completed 3-5 passes for 66 yards, leading the Cardinals to a 41-17 victory. On December 2 2005, Cantwell started the season finale on the road against the Connecticut Huskies, completing 16-25 passes for 271 yards and 1 TD, leading Louisville to a 30-20 win. The Gator Bowl against Virginia Tech Hokies brought out the best in Cantwell, as he threw for 216 yards and 3 TD, however Virginia Tech won the game, 35-24. Regardless, Cantwell was voted the game's co-MVP.

On September 16 2006, after Brian Brohm suffered a thumb injury against Miami, he stepped in and completed 3-4 passes for 113 yards and 1 TD, leading #12 Louisville to a big win against #17 Miami, 31-7. Cantwell would start the next 2 games for the Cardinals, both on the road, against Kansas State and Middle Tennessee State. Against the Wildcats, he completed 18-26 passes for 173 yards and 1 TD, leading Louisville to a 24-6 win. Against the Blue Raiders, Cantwell completed 17-32 passes for 340 yards and 3 TD, leading the Cardinals to a 44-17 road romp.

Just maybe, it has something to do with coaching your backup quarterbacks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Just maybe, it has something to do with coaching your backup quarterbacks.....

.....Please don't start that discussion.  He's WVU's problem now.

• Content Count:  4,016

When MG was out of the game due to injury, we had a QB with a ton of experience to replace him. PJ didn't have to win the game, he just needed to manage it. i.e. ECU. I wish he was still around this season in case MG gets hurt again because our new 2nd string QB has no experience to draw from. 

Now, let's get this straight.....I'm not one of the posters saying he was a waste of scholarship, okay?  That is a bit excessive indeed.  Like I said before, Pat was a guy who kept his nose clean and worked hard -- he just was a bad QB.

That being said, how can you say he "managed the game"?  That is just silly.  He took the snaps from Capogna and handed it off three times, then trotted off as Teachey came on for the "Rugby Punt."  He did that for almost the entire 2nd half.  If that's "managing a game," then we can stick anybody with a pulse back there (long snapper, punter, kicker, 5th string left guard, etc.) to take the snaps and hand the ball off.

::)

Just because guys are getting silly on one extreme doesn't mean we should be equally as silly on the other.

Yeah, you are right, anyone can just come in, take the snap and hand off.  Just like Denson did when he was the QB.  Just like Carlton Hill did in Charlotte.....and both of those guys were top rated QBs coming out of high school.

Ummmm I think there is a little more to it than just handing off.  The reason people talk about having experience is because it is more than just walking on the field in a big game, even if it was a minor bowl.

As MamaBull said, time to move on.  We have a strong leader and a talented QB in Grothe.  I'm concerned about the lack of experience backing him up.

Does the name Hunter Caldwell mean anything to you?

Cantwell walked on to the Louisville Cardinals football team prior to the 2005 season. On November 25 2005, QB Brian Brohm injured his leg in a game against Syracuse and was going to miss the rest of the season. He stepped in and completed 3-5 passes for 66 yards, leading the Cardinals to a 41-17 victory. On December 2 2005, Cantwell started the season finale on the road against the Connecticut Huskies, completing 16-25 passes for 271 yards and 1 TD, leading Louisville to a 30-20 win. The Gator Bowl against Virginia Tech Hokies brought out the best in Cantwell, as he threw for 216 yards and 3 TD, however Virginia Tech won the game, 35-24. Regardless, Cantwell was voted the game's co-MVP.

On September 16 2006, after Brian Brohm suffered a thumb injury against Miami, he stepped in and completed 3-4 passes for 113 yards and 1 TD, leading #12 Louisville to a big win against #17 Miami, 31-7. Cantwell would start the next 2 games for the Cardinals, both on the road, against Kansas State and Middle Tennessee State. Against the Wildcats, he completed 18-26 passes for 173 yards and 1 TD, leading Louisville to a 24-6 win. Against the Blue Raiders, Cantwell completed 17-32 passes for 340 yards and 3 TD, leading the Cardinals to a 44-17 road romp.

Just maybe, it has something to do with coaching your backup quarterbacks.

Well hold on, I am with you and 84 that I felt the biggest problem with the offense the past two years was Smith, but Hunter Cantwell is not a good example about how 'any ole tom, ****, or harry can come in and 'manage a game''.  First, anyone should get a little more acquainted with Mr. Cantwell who turned down actual BCS offers from schools like Indiana, and other schools to preferred walk-on at Louisville, I believed he waited to decide on schools because he was waiting to see if he would get drafted in baseball or something to that effect.  He was a major record breaker in HS in Kentucky however the year UL brought him in they had no scholarship room.  He basically gray shirted and was awarded a scholarship after his RS year so he's not such a good example, more like UL landed a signing coup and got this kid to postpone enrollment.

• Content Count:  195

Well hold on, I am with you and 84 that I felt the biggest problem with the offense the past two years was Smith, but Hunter Cantwell is not a good example about how 'any ole tom, ****, or harry can come in and 'manage a game''.  First, anyone should get a little more acquainted with Mr. Cantwell who turned down actual BCS offers from schools like Indiana, and other schools to preferred walk-on at Louisville, I believed he waited to decide on schools because he was waiting to see if he would get drafted in baseball or something to that effect.  He was a major record breaker in HS in Kentucky however the year UL brought him in they had no scholarship room.  He basically gray shirted and was awarded a scholarship after his RS year so he's not such a good example, more like UL landed a signing coup and got this kid to postpone enrollment.

The point is Cantwell was able to step  with little or no college experience and do a good job of leading the UL offense. I believe most would consider Brohm a hard act to follow.

Courtney Denson (ranked top high school QB in the state by the Florida Union), Carlton Hill (considered by some a 4 Star recruit, 13th in the nation by Rivals?) and Anthony Severino (Team MVP, Hillsborough Cnty All-star game) weren't exactly chump change. 

I think it's only fair to say USF's coaching  was a major factor in the failure.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

The point is Cantwell was able to step  with little or no college experience and do a good job of leading the UL offense. I believe most would consider Brohm a hard act to follow.

Courtney Denson (ranked top high school QB in the state by the Florida Union), Carlton Hill (considered by some a 4 Star recruit, 13th in the nation by Rivals?) and Anthony Severino (Team MVP, Hillsborough Cnty All-star game) weren't exactly chump change. 

I think it's only fair to say USF's coaching  was a major factor in the failure.

Agree to a large degree.  In their defense (Denson especially, Hill Somewhat), The coaches definitely have to take the blame for the way they handled the entire QB situation in '05.  It was totally unfair to put Denson into a situation where he hadn't seen the field in almost 2 years and a snap at the QB position, especially at the D1 level, in almost three years at that time and have his first snaps against a very tough D and in front of a hostile crowd of 110,000 at PSU.  I really thought he didn't get a fair shot to show what he could do in those few times he played.  I think it was pretty unfair for Hill to have only taken relatively few snaps and then be put into a situation where he was trying to win the game in the bowl game.  I remember when Julmiste went down in the Cincinnati game and Hill came in I was sweating bullets beause Hill was forced into that game. 

So, while I agree with Bien that Cantwell isn't a great example because he is a very talented backup and at this point the probable replacement for Brohm when he graduates, I agree wholeheartedly that the way the coaches handled the entire QB situation in '05. 

• Content Count:  1,457

Harsh - I disagree.  College is not for just Athletes.  Keeping good grades, staying on track (no illegal drug use/abuse), and then contributing athletically is emphasised here.  Plenty of college students don't make it for one reason or another.  This player was given more than one consideration to get it together.  I bullieve he chose the low road instead of the high road.  This will be learning experience for many and will be a harsh experience for one - specifically this former player.   

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,278
  • Days Won:  29

Amazing how Grothe slipped past them  ::)

Best Wishes to Ponton.

• Content Count:  1,457

The coaching is outstanding - enough said there.  The player was exposed to one of the most dynamic training facilities in the NCAA, one of the very best home stadiums (for the next 19 years too), and a wonderful opportunity to excel in the Big East.  Grothe will set the tempo and be a true field general - likened to the ability of Steve McMahon (sp) of the Chicago Bears in the 80's.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

lack of coaching was certainly an issue but not only one

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,278
  • Days Won:  29

... Steve McMahon (sp) of the Chicago Bears in the 80's.

Jim ... played college at BYU.

Go BULLS !!!

Archived