Ricky Ponton - Glad to see ya go!

USF-PMR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  385
  • Days Won:  0

As far as Pat goes, it's pretty funny that people have the balls to say he was a waste of a scholarship when the players that took the field with him for 3 and 4 years consistently hold him up as a strong leader on and off the field.  While he may not have been the most talented QB, he still garnered the respect of the players.  I'll take that with a hell of a lot more credence than someone just popping off on anonymously on a message bioard. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JulmisteForPrez

When MG was out of the game due to injury, we had a QB with a ton of experience to replace him. PJ didn't have to win the game, he just needed to manage it. i.e. ECU. I wish he was still around this season in case MG gets hurt again because our new 2nd string QB has no experience to draw from. 

Now, let's get this straight.....I'm not one of the posters saying he was a waste of scholarship, okay?  That is a bit excessive indeed.  Like I said before, Pat was a guy who kept his nose clean and worked hard -- he just was a bad QB.

That being said, how can you say he "managed the game"?  That is just silly.  He took the snaps from Capogna and handed it off three times, then trotted off as Teachey came on for the "Rugby Punt."  He did that for almost the entire 2nd half.  If that's "managing a game," then we can stick anybody with a pulse back there (long snapper, punter, kicker, 5th string left guard, etc.) to take the snaps and hand the ball off.

::)

Just because guys are getting silly on one extreme doesn't mean we should be equally as silly on the other.

• Content Count:  873

When MG was out of the game due to injury, we had a QB with a ton of experience to replace him. PJ didn't have to win the game, he just needed to manage it. i.e. ECU. I wish he was still around this season in case MG gets hurt again because our new 2nd string QB has no experience to draw from. 

Now, let's get this straight.....I'm not one of the posters saying he was a waste of scholarship, okay?  That is a bit excessive indeed.  Like I said before, Pat was a guy who kept his nose clean and worked hard -- he just was a bad QB.

That being said, how can you say he "managed the game"?  That is just silly.  He took the snaps from Capogna and handed it off three times, then trotted off as Teachey came on for the "Rugby Punt."  He did that for almost the entire 2nd half.  If that's "managing a game," then we can stick anybody with a pulse back there (long snapper, punter, kicker, 5th string left guard, etc.) to take the snaps and hand the ball off.

Just because guys are getting silly on one extreme doesn't mean we should be equally as silly on the other.

That's my point.  He took the ball from center and handed it to a RB. 

And as far as him being a "good leader," so what.  If you're leading the team to be mediocre (6-6) then what's so great about that?  The problem was, there HAD to be at least one QB out there that could "lead" the team better.

1. Handing off to Andre Hall

2. Throwing short passes that receivers had to make a good play to get yardage out of it.

3. Throwing to the other team.

Maybe he'll make a good coach - someday and coach an offense like Gruden.  gruden was an awful QB but has a good (ok maybe not recently) football mind.

And one last thing.  Just because I don't play football I can't criticize a player?  What are we in pop-warner here?  No!  This is a Division I Big East school, expect it.

And yeah, I might boo 2-3 times a year but I also support the Bulls more than 99.9% of the students at this school.  I've gone to many road games for both football and basketball and yell throughout the game with a lot of freaking energy.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,349
  • Days Won:  490

For those having a hard time comprehending.  The point is not that PJ is a great QB, it's that you and others don't need to be pricks about his being an average at best QB.  He brought other things to the team.  Of course they did not fully replace a lack of Joe Montanta-like skills but who cares.  That era is over.  Most would just simply like you to not rip or insult the players.  You keep it up during the season and you won't be around very long.

By the way, your comment "there HAD to be at least one QB out there" is certainly true, but there wasn't a better one on our team. 

Water under a bridge

Dead horse

Bygones

Just please, we all think you're great for going to games and you have a sharp eye for talent.  It's over, okay?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

For those having a hard time comprehending.  The point is not that PJ is a great QB, it's that you and others don't need to be pricks about his being an average at best QB.  He brought other things to the team.  Of course they did not fully replace a lack of Joe Montanta-like skills but who cares.  That era is over.  Most would just simply like you to not rip or insult the players.  You keep it up during the season and you won't be around very long.

By the way, your comment "there HAD to be at least one QB out there" is certainly true, but there wasn't a better one on our team. 

Water under a bridge

Dead horse

Bygones

Just please, we all think you're great for going to games and you have a sharp eye for talent.  It's over, okay?

Thank you Bulliever!!!!  We should be focusing on 2007 and on, not what was.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

well put

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Yeah, you are right, anyone can just come in, take the snap and hand off.  Just like Denson did when he was the QB.  Just like Carlton Hill did in Charlotte.....and both of those guys were top rated QBs coming out of high school.

Ummmm I think there is a little more to it than just handing off.  The reason people talk about having experience is because it is more than just walking on the field in a big game, even if it was a minor bowl.

As MamaBull said, time to move on.  We have a strong leader and a talented QB in Grothe.  I'm concerned about the lack of experience backing him up.

• Content Count:  4,503

Well even in the off season ignorance still is abundant on the board.  For all you pea brained Pat bashers lets take this to the next logical step.  If Pat was the starter and he was following the coaches orders then JL must be one dumb-ass head coach.  What would you have liked Pat to do - Say "No Coach I'm not going in because I am not a great QB".  Ya think JL might be starting the best QB he had and the one he thought would give the Bulls the best chance to win ?  All Pat did was do his best when asked to play,became a team leader on and off the field and showed a huge amount of class(which is clearly lacking by Pat bashers) when he was benched in his senior year.  Yes, I would be proud to meet Pat and thank him for his time at USF and let him know I for one have a huge amount of respect for him as a player and person.

As for Ponton I wish him luck and hope he has success in his future.

Can anybody explain dabull's "next logical step" to me??

That post is about as clear as mud.

Why spin it in either direction?????   ???

sorry I went over your head.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Well even in the off season ignorance still is abundant on the board.  For all you pea brained Pat bashers lets take this to the next logical step.  If Pat was the starter and he was following the coaches orders then JL must be one dumb-ass head coach.  What would you have liked Pat to do - Say "No Coach I'm not going in because I am not a great QB".  Ya think JL might be starting the best QB he had and the one he thought would give the Bulls the best chance to win ?  All Pat did was do his best when asked to play,became a team leader on and off the field and showed a huge amount of class(which is clearly lacking by Pat bashers) when he was benched in his senior year.  Yes, I would be proud to meet Pat and thank him for his time at USF and let him know I for one have a huge amount of respect for him as a player and person.

As for Ponton I wish him luck and hope he has success in his future.

Can anybody explain dabull's "next logical step" to me??

That post is about as clear as mud.

Why spin it in either direction?????   ???

sorry I went over your head.

oooooooooooooooooooh.

ZING!

Or some might say......

Ahhhhhhhhhh, SNAP!

Give me a break.  :nope

• Content Count:  4,503

;)

Archived