Ricky Ponton - Glad to see ya go!

USF-PMR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

I think we won despite Pat, not because of him.  Good character guy in front of the media, unfortunately, he wasn't a very good college QB.  Probably on the lower end in terms or QB ratings in all of Div I-A when he started.  A lot of people defend Pat because he was a nice guy, but the facts are facts and you are remembered for what you did on the field.  He was a big body though, and I wouldn't have minded seeing him used in a Tim Tebow type role last year.  I wasn't too impressed with Ponton when he stepped in too... I just remember hearing Ponton-this and Ponton-that when Andre graduated.. Because of that, I will reserve my judgement of Mike Ford until the season starts.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  937

I'll have to agree... Ricky turned out to be garbage when he got back... albeit he scored twice during the UNC game.

He still never lived up to what everyone thought he was going to be while they were watching him take more reps during Hall's last year.  I think those missed games killed his style.  If he was so good, then he would have contended much better for the starting job last year to eventually become the started by the end of the year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,273
  • Days Won:  29

Those that boo our players always seem to boo starters only.

By their rational, our depth isn't what they would like ... booing our 2nd and 3rd string would be the same ... actually, they should go to classes and boo students because they were not even good enough to make the roster, let alone a scholarship.

Some seem to 4get that this IS a team sport and when they boo, they ARE booing the team as a whole SOFAKING sad.

I will miss Ricky Ponton.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  76

The only reason we didn't go 0-12 was because of Andre Hall, not pat.

And he deserved to get booed.  He was color blind because all he could do was throw to players in the non-green jerseys.  Leavitt could have found a better QB with open tryouts.

At least Ponton contributed 2 years ago when Andre needed a rest.  All pat was good for was handing off.  Look what Grothe did to ECU in the first half.  Then pat couldn't "lead" the team to any points in the second half.

Ponton's only success was after Hall had broken the opponite's defense.  This year he would be lucky to see the field.  As for Julmiste, he lead a underdog USF past UL two years ago.  As for the Papa John's Bowl, you're a fool to believe that USF wasn't running the clock out after Grothe was finally out of the game. Julmiste played his heart out for USF and as a fan it shouldn't be hard to see that.  He may not have been the most talented QB but he always gave it his all and that's all that CJL asked of him.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

And he deserved to get booed.  He was color blind because all he could do was throw to players in the non-green jerseys.  Leavitt could have found a better QB with open tryouts.

At least Ponton contributed 2 years ago when Andre needed a rest.  All pat was good for was handing off.  Look what Grothe did to ECU in the first half.  Then pat couldn't "lead" the team to any points in the second half.

Ponton's only success was after Hall had broken the opponite's defense.  This year he would be lucky to see the field.  As for Julmiste, he lead a underdog USF past UL two years ago.  As for the Papa John's Bowl, you're a fool to believe that USF wasn't running the clock out after Grothe was finally out of the game. Julmiste played his heart out for USF and as a fan it shouldn't be hard to see that.  He may not have been the most talented QB but he always gave it his all and that's all that CJL asked of him.

Amen, I agree with that wholeheartedly, and isn't that what it's all about?

GO BULLS!!!!!!!

• Content Count:  1,297

I like the way Pat, despite being able to generate much offense, lead the team when Grothe was injured and in my opinion did a excellent job of protecting the ball and not making stupid plays that plagued him in the past.

He's a bull forever, just like everyone on this board.  I'm glad he went out in a glorious bowl win.

Nice guys don't always finish last.

• Content Count:  873

Those that boo our players always seem to boo starters only.

By their rational, our depth isn't what they would like ... booing our 2nd and 3rd string would be the same ... actually, they should go to classes and boo students because they were not even good enough to make the roster, let alone a scholarship.

Some seem to 4get that this IS a team sport and when they boo, they ARE booing the team as a whole SOFAKING sad.

I will miss Ricky Ponton.

Go BULLS !!!

But when I am paying for my classes and I see someone getting a free ride that should not be, as a paying student, I have the right to boo.  I paid for my classes and graduated with a 3.97 GPA.  This guy gets a free ride and doesn't produce on the field (like scholarship players should).

And as far as the ECU game, pat played the entire second half.  A 24-7 lead isn't that big.  Smith still called passing plays didn't he?  I think so, and what did the offense do? exactly

• Content Count:  873

Julmiste threw a lob to Amarri and he took it all the way.  Andre and Amarri was the rest of the offense.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

This is all very true, but please do not come down on someone too hard when they are simply making a point that they guy wasn't good.

He was really quite bad.  I loved him because he was a Bull, but he was not even a decent QB.

Both of you are right......he did indeed play his heart out, but him playing his heart out lost USF more games than it won.

• Content Count:  4,503

Well even in the off season ignorance still is abundant on the board.  For all you pea brained Pat bashers lets take this to the next logical step.  If Pat was the starter and he was following the coaches orders then JL must be one dumb-ass head coach.  What would you have liked Pat to do - Say "No Coach I'm not going in because I am not a great QB".  Ya think JL might be starting the best QB he had and the one he thought would give the Bulls the best chance to win ?  All Pat did was do his best when asked to play,became a team leader on and off the field and showed a huge amount of class(which is clearly lacking by Pat bashers) when he was benched in his senior year.  Yes, I would be proud to meet Pat and thank him for his time at USF and let him know I for one have a huge amount of respect for him as a player and person.

As for Ponton I wish him luck and hope he has success in his future.

Archived