Realistic outlook: Big East Champions 12/2008 - National Champions 1/2010

USF-PMR

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I just hope our "guests" don't take this thread seriously...

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

I may be a nay-sayer, but even if we go undefeated this year, we still won't go the NC.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

As far as schedules go, yes 2009 is possible... getting Miami, WV and UL here is a plus.  As far as luck goes (and don't kid youself w/o playoffs winning a NC is more about luck than anything) well I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Luck more than anything? No!

USC went to the National Title game game 2 years in a row because of luck? There have been a few instances where luck has helped along the way, Florida last year; Ohio State in 2002. However, I don't think those teams weren't worthy of at least National Championship discussion?

If USF runs the table in 2009 and is a candidate for the BCS Championship (which is a little far fetched today), I hope your not saying it was luck more than anything...

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I may be a nay-sayer, but even if we go undefeated this year, we still won't go the NC.

Disagree.

First, I don't think we have a chance of going undefeated this year.  My prediction is 10-2 for this year.  (I predicted 8-4 last year, and I was dead on - go back and check the prediction threads).

But, if you look back to last year, WVU, UL, and RU probably would have all made NC game if they went undefeated.  Definitely WVU and UL, and RU was right there knocking on the door before losing to Cincy.  They were something like #5 or 6 in BCS, and most of the teams in front of them lost as well, so they probably would have made it too, if they had somehow managed to go undefeated.

A BE team that goes undefeated has a very decent chance and NC game.  We would have to win at AU, at RU, and against WVU and UL.  Don't discount how much wins in all 4 of these games would propel us in the polls and NC chase.

Don't think it will happen this year though.

• Content Count:  385

I'm saying 9-3, simply because there will be that one game that we should have won and didn't, but I also think 10-2 is realistic.  As for the NC, if we do go undefeated, it will be a toss up because it will matter what our SOS was, who we played and who they played, and the same for the other BCS conferences.  Things could roll our way.   

• Content Count:  1,803

I wouldn't mind just going 10-3 (bowl game included) a ten win season is a big step forward and should keep us out of the pizza bowl (I probably won't make that trip again) or the canadian bowl.

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

IF!  We, in a BCS conference, were undefeated, playing and defeating three - four teams ranked in the top 20, our SOS would be just fine. For us not to be in the title game, I think, there would have to be two more undefeated teams in the BCS.

I've said before, undefeated in the Big East will be extremely difficult for any team.

Big East Champions, any year from now on. 

National Champs?, I think for us it'll be one of those magical years.

GO BULLS! 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

IF!  We, in a BCS conference, were undefeated, playing and defeating three - four teams ranked in the top 20, our SOS would be just fine. For us not to be in the title game, I think, there would have to be two more undefeated teams in the BCS.

I've said before, undefeated in the Big East will be extremely difficult for any team.

GO BULLS! 

Maybe. 3 top 20 wins might have us in the discussion, but a one loss team with a hard OOC schedule like USC or Nebraska might get the nod over USF, unless we win convincingly in most our games.

That being said, I don't think some Bulls fans really know how freaking hard it is to win a national championship. Look at a school like Michigan. Consistently in the top 10, consistently pushing out 10 win seasons, consistently sending guys to the NFL and they have 1 National Championship in 60 years (and it was split at that).

USF is still 10 or so years from really competing in that department, because it will require perfection for us to attain that measure.

• Content Count:  1,803

or your school is named "Florida", in that case squeaking by most of your games with a loss gets you the nod.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

GO BULLS! 

Maybe. 3 top 20 wins might have us in the discussion, but a one loss team with a hard OOC schedule like USC or Nebraska might get the nod over USF, unless we win convincingly in most our games.

That being said, I don't think some Bulls fans really know how freaking hard it is to win a national championship. Look at a school like Michigan. Consistently in the top 10, consistently pushing out 10 win seasons, consistently sending guys to the NFL and they have 1 National Championship in 60 years (and it was split at that).

USF is still 10 or so years from really competing in that department, because it will require perfection for us to attain that measure.

Joe, I agree with everything you just said, EXCEPT that it will take 10 years.  No way.  With top notch recruiting, after a couple 10 + win years, it could happen in 3-5 yrs easily.  Look at Louisville, or WVU for that matter.  I don't remember anyone talking about them for NC consideration 3-5 yrs ago (although they had good teams - just as we do now - in fact, I would put this year's USF team up against previous years UL/WVU teams favorably).  Now many people are expecting them to be in the hunt.  It can happen fast, if all the dominos fall the right way...

Archived