Phil Steele's 2007 Preseason Top 50

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Excuse my ignorance, but who is Phil Steele?

• Content Count:  4,642

no UCF

that's b/c their football team is complete garbage

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

he's the first person I've seen not caught up in the media hype!

What!?!

South Carolina at 13. FSU in the top 10. Alabama at 17!

If those three don't show some sort of hype I don't know what does.

The reason so many experts rank the same teams in the same spot is because that is where a reasonable person would see those rankings fit.

This guy seemed to get the top 5 right and then threw darts for the next 45 teams. I know Arkansas has had some serious offseason issues, but they still return two of the best RBs in America.

• Content Count:  10,219

if we end where we start...then we have had a graet season.

• Content Count:  1,334

Florida State is ranked higher than Florida, I don't by that.  Also, how do we have players who have never played a down for us Tyrone get First team mentioned. Wow  

FSU over UF next year is at least plausible.  Both teams have some talent, but UF's QB has much, much less passing experience.  UF also lost some very good defenders that helped make that unit what it was in 2006.  Garbage, because I hate UF.  Yes, that's objective.

Hawaii at #12 surprises me.  Did they steal the oakland raiders defense in the offseason?  Admittedly, I wouldn't like a team's chances playing a road game there, but that cuts the same way for road games for hawaii.  It's very difficult to adjust to that much jet lag and timing differences.

Some of these rankings are pretty haphazard, but that's fine.  In a given year there are very, very few teams that don't enter the season with some question marks.  Even without question marks some flop.  The purdue defense that returned 11 starters and good prior year numbers suddenly sucking up the field is a perfect example.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,270
  • Days Won:  29

... who is Phil Steele?

It's a preseason mag that is heavily weighted to gambling.

• Content Count:  2,493
  • Days Won:  1

its all a crapshoot anyway...but it is nice to see different opinions...which all this is. why is this guy an idiot when its his opinion...doesnt everybody usually finish different then where they are ranked in the preseason...and the rankings are a consensus opinion anyway and have no real value on how good these teams are

• Content Count:  549

its all a crapshoot anyway...but it is nice to see different opinions...which all this is. why is this guy an idiot when its his opinion...doesnt everybody usually finish different then where they are ranked in the preseason...and the rankings are a consensus opinion anyway and have no real value on how good these teams are

I agree.  If you want to see a seriously effed up preseason ranking, all you have to do is look at the AP and coaches polls every year.  Incredibly inaccurate.

Archived