Big Reason to attend the Home Opener, Elon

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,273
  • Days Won:  29

Why do you climb a mountain?

Because there might be beer on the peak ?  8-) Right Mission9  ;)

It takes time for a fan base to build and it is slowly growing, just not as fast as our success on the field.

As brought up on another thread by Joe I think, compare FSU's attendance with many Big 10, Big 12 and SEC schools from the late 70's

:GoBulls

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

mmmm....beer....

• Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

JoeB - My thoughts exactly.

Well, except for the mountain part. I'm from Tampa and mountains are a little scarce around here. I think Mt. Dora may be the closest one.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

ET is correct...some people (and to steal the line I gave Auman a week ago) want to stick this program into the Betty Crocker Easy Bake Oven and come out with perfection in 15 minutes.

Casual fans are casual for a reason and it takes time, money, and winning to effect their change.  Most of all it takes fans like us to make those folks change.  But from where we came it really takes time.  You're not going to convince a casual fan overnight, but after a few years, guys like ET take a couple of his casual fans to enough games, we keep winning, and they keep having fun, and sooner or later they become season tix holders.  That's how it works and there is no easy recipe or way to speed up that process.

I also marvel at people that criticize ET for being positive.  I don't consider him positive as much as I do accepting, and comfortable with who he is and who we are.  Sometimes fans want the 'easy bake' program so they can feel like they're supporting a school like UF, but the fact is for programs like USF to even get close to a school like UF, UM, or FSU we need a lot, and I mean a ton of guys like ET (and some would say me  8-)) to effect the change over the course of time.  Those are guys that are always positive about the overall program, comfortable with the program as it is and where it is going, and willing to give time or money when called up.  You don't get to be a big dog without those kind of folks.  This wasn't divine intervention, where God came down and said this program will be good, this one will not.  It takes lots of blood, sweat, and money from many good people and even then throw-in some good luck.

• Content Count:  1,812

I have no problem with positive, it is preachy that bothers me. A person who buys season tickets is a booster no matter what their reasons are. Some times people want to pick who they think the real fans should be and how they should act based on their feelings. I will be at the first game and have had season tickets since day 1. I bought extra tickets to bring people to the games and let them see for themselves how much fun it is. My point is it is a harder sell with Elon and other Div 1AA teams.

There are many college football fans that will become season ticket holders if they are exposed to the product- no matter their affiliation. I have had more luck bringing Gator, Nole, and other fans to games and getting them hooked than USF alumni. It is kind of like the Bucs, Green Bay fan goes to game likes it and buys season tickets then becomes Bucs fan most of the year except when GB plays. This is way more common than people think, I am also a Bucs season ticket holder. I actually got into Hockey by going to Flyers games with my NJ buddies back when hockey started, it was the big game and continued to be and the atmosphere spurred me to buy season tickets to all games in St Pete..

I would venture to say that the people on this board do not make up 10% of the season ticket holders to Bulls games. They also would trend towards being more devout fans, so it is hard to judge the general buying public based on opinions of this board.

FYI- I flew back from Hawaii last year and went straight to the home opener from the airport, I regretted this decision the whole game. I did the same thing for Rutgers and had a blast and played football in parking lot after game until 2am because we were so fired up from the game.

• Content Count:  4,503

My favorite line when I take folks to the games like Elon and they have a good time is " Maybe next year IF I have an extra ticket you can come to the UL,WV,homecoming etc. game and you will really see this place rock."  Gotta do a little chumming to get the fish biting

If basketball hasn't taught you anything it is "Winning will fill the house"  All you have to do is go back and look at the Sun Dome attendance figures and that was before the BE and C-USA.

• Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

I think more people would attend if we could rush the field after a hard fought victory over Elon.

Just to clarify, I wasn't preaching ... simply giving facts about a "big reason to attend the home opener" . . . because I like to constantly (granted - irratating  ;) ) remind people of things ... helps pass the off-season  8-)

And also, I want to have 7-8 Home games !

• Content Count:  10,219

Look, our scheduling is perfect for right now.  We need a tune up game, just like 85% of D-I programs who open with a D-IAA.  We have followed the formula that helps us best gain national notoriety and stayed on course budget-wise, which is always smart.

There are some very compelling story lines for the Elon game as far as I'm concerned.  They include:

1.  Mike Ford.  Can he bust out right out of the gate and give Auburn's D coordinator something else to think about.

2.  How will our kicking game perform?  Doesn't matter who the opponent is, kicking is kicking.  Of course, I am glad that Elon will likely not have as skilled of special teams players rushing our punt and kick teams.

3.  Gregory will likely get some snaps in this game.  Will he show enough potential to help me breathe easier every time Matt gets tackled?

4.  How many entering freshmen will get a peek from the staff as they try to determine who will red shirt and who won't?

5.  Will C. Rob and Selvie be as dominant as we all hope they will be?  They should be able to shred D-IAA tackles.

6.  Will the TE become a bigger factor in the offense this year?  I love the roll out pass to the TE that Matt threw on occasion last year.  Do we have the athletes to run this play effectively?

7.  Will T. Mac and Spires make their presences known at LB?  Will they know their assignments (especially Spires)?  Can we count on them to be part of our LB rotation?

8.  Finally, will there be a new pre-game introductory video that is as jam up as the Bull smashing the crates one?

Man, I wish I could be there for all of it.  Count yourself as lucky if you can go to the Elon game.

Normal

will we win "blow out" this game like a "real" top 25 team should?

or will we start the season like last year: struggling?

will the O and D shine and force AUB to scramble their game plan?

we may look back at this game as the start to USF cashing in on their bigtime opportunity...finally?

so go bulls!

Man, I wish I could be there for all of it.  Count yourself as lucky if you can go to the Elon game.

Normal

Great post Normal ... and the PERFECT ending.

I can not understand a BULLS fan NOT wanting to be at this opener ! Because I am a junkie !

:GoBulls

Archived