Big Reason to attend the Home Opener, Elon

E.T.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,335
  • Days Won:  490

i think most bulls fans especially the ones that troll this board will be at game

but the regular joe is not going to bring his family or football playing kids to see ellen play.IT AINT HAPPENING

the fact that we are discussing this demonstrates the problem with a kansas state scheduling mentality at usf

usf should be playing another top team on the road trying to win or at the very least scheduling another bcs team at home

but schools like ellen,woolard,tennessee valley state, and samford and son makes usf look bush league

usf is at stage in development where they need to culitvate fans NOT CHASE THEM AWAY

USF FOOTBALL IS the entertainment business.those rinky dink schools are not entertaining

I'm glad we are cultivating fans by selling the BULLS and not their opponents (like the Devil Rays did for so long).

I think those true to their school understand the machinations that go into scheduling and will attend to see THEIR team not some other team.  That mentatlity (selling the product by the competition) counselor is debilitating to the USF Bulls product itself.

If we wished to attract fans of other schools, we would have become a UCF-like punching bag years ago.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

http://cfn.scout.com/2/646582.html

for those that like to fantasize

bowl game projections sent to me from one of my rutger buddies

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

i think most bulls fans especially the ones that troll this board will be at game

but the regular joe is not going to bring his family or football playing kids to see ellen play.IT AINT HAPPENING

the fact that we are discussing this demonstrates the problem with a kansas state scheduling mentality at usf

usf should be playing another top team on the road trying to win or at the very least scheduling another bcs team at home

but schools like ellen,woolard,tennessee valley state, and samford and son makes usf look bush league

usf is at stage in development where they need to culitvate fans NOT CHASE THEM AWAY

USF FOOTBALL IS the entertainment business.those rinky dink schools are not entertaining

I'm glad we are cultivating fans by selling the BULLS and not their opponents (like the Devil Rays did for so long).

I think those true to their school understand the machinations that go into scheduling and will attend to see THEIR team not some other team.  That mentatlity (selling the product by the competition) counselor is debilitating to the USF Bulls product itself.

If we wished to attract fans of other schools, we would have become a UCF-like punching bag years ago.

you can do better than that

devil rays have no choice in their schedule

is it better for program to play a no name at home rather than a top 20 team on the road?

ftu/ou/oc is a punching bag because they suck and cant compete

at this point usf should be average 30000 but poor scheduling and lack of connection with local fans has kept attendance down

usf made their deal with the devil and chose  a ksu schedule(padding schedule with cupcakes) instead of an old fsu schedule(where they played the best they could anywhere)

I stand by my point counselor.  Whether the D-Rays make their own schedule or not it is a bit self-deprecating to entice local fans to come to the game to see the other team.  

• Content Count:  1,812
  • Days Won:  0

We do not need to sell the opponent, but do not think many are exited about Elon. After the Bucs who are sold out every year won the Super Bowl they had lackluster attendance at Pre season games, wonder why. I go to games with some die hard college football fans and they go to root for the Bulls but like myself would rather see them play Div 1 teams.

The goal is to get people to come out and see "real Div 1" college football and fill the stadium or at least get 45,000 plus per game. Die hard Bulls fans will never make that number IMO it will take college football fans. USF will be going up against a rare California- Tennessee match up that should be interesting for most football fans.

I would gladly take a directional Michigan school like our conference brothers have over Elon. Why not go after a 1 and 1 with the MAC or WAC. If you guys think the opponent does not matter lets join the Sunbelt and save on travel money and run up a good record.

I don't think anyone says the opponent does not matter, but I am saying I'm not interested in enticing fans based on who the opponent is.  Surely, playing the Gators would draw more fans to Raymond James than Elon would, but I doubt many of them would convert to Bulls fans.  We need to build a base on our own accomplishments and if we can get into the legit Top25 and stay there, that will go a long way regardless of who we're playing in the tune-up game.

• Content Count:  81

The rowdy 8 will be in the south end zone

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,269
  • Days Won:  29

Fact is ... we have lots of fans interested in this game. Wish these numbers would come out for ALL the games, like the opener with Elon. Fans need to come to see the BULLS, not who we're playing.

Can't understand that with waiting 8 months without FootBULL, more fans don't come out - guess we just have that many - YET !

Go BULLS !!!

Go BULLS !!!

I have been season ticket holder since day 1 and have gone to many away games, and I find it real difficult to get excited about Elon. Last years first game was the worst I have suffered through so far. If USF wants fans in the seats then schedule quality 1A opponents or move crap games to homecoming. UF and others can schedule powder puffs because they do not have to worry about attendance.

Most people go to football games to be entertained, not watch the Bulls play teams way below their talent level. Unless the 1AA team has a great band (FAMU) we should not open with them IMO.

The above was from another thread and figured it would play well here. No bearing on my post below.

The E/W/C Mich. type teams cost about $500-750K to play ... we don't have a large enough base to afford that. And I don't want to have a 1-1 with these type of teams.

Other type of teams we "want" to see do not want to travel here.

And most don't want to play away games only.

We want to build a fan base HERE ! not on TV.

I don't know the exact figures, but am sure we make more money at home than traveling to an away "pay" game.

Look at our schedule for 2007, I don't see a wimpy schedule ... it's average across the board, but will have about 4 Top 25 teams and maybe 2 Top 10 visiting here !

Everyone would rather see us play a Top 25 team here, but it takes money ... and you get that from fans that donate and attend games ... games like Elon. We need fans that would rather watch their Beloved BULLS than another "Game of the Century" on TV

So it's a waiting game ...

It amazes me that some think we can just go out and schedule a 1-1 . . . currently, we have these 1AA openers, the other avenue would be playing 5 home games every other year.

I prefer a 1AA every year, rather than play E/C/W Mich type schools on the road sacrifising a home game every other year.

And I would not choose a school because of their band, we had to make serious concessions for FAMU. Would rather play a team of equal talent and no band to make more money - which is what we need.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,269
  • Days Won:  29

From another thread:

... If we want to be taken seriously, then we should be playing them the way we will be playing Miami. We're at the point now where we do not have to schedule at a disadvantage to our program, which is what those 2 games at UF are at this point.

• Content Count:  1,797

Look, our scheduling is perfect for right now.  We need a tune up game, just like 85% of D-I programs who open with a D-IAA.  We have followed the formula that helps us best gain national notoriety and stayed on course budget-wise, which is always smart.

There are some very compelling story lines for the Elon game as far as I'm concerned.  They include:

1.  Mike Ford.  Can he bust out right out of the gate and give Auburn's D coordinator something else to think about.

2.  How will our kicking game perform?  Doesn't matter who the opponent is, kicking is kicking.  Of course, I am glad that Elon will likely not have as skilled of special teams players rushing our punt and kick teams.

3.  Gregory will likely get some snaps in this game.  Will he show enough potential to help me breathe easier every time Matt gets tackled?

4.  How many entering freshmen will get a peek from the staff as they try to determine who will red shirt and who won't?

5.  Will C. Rob and Selvie be as dominant as we all hope they will be?  They should be able to shred D-IAA tackles.

6.  Will the TE become a bigger factor in the offense this year?  I love the roll out pass to the TE that Matt threw on occasion last year.  Do we have the athletes to run this play effectively?

7.  Will T. Mac and Spires make their presences known at LB?  Will they know their assignments (especially Spires)?  Can we count on them to be part of our LB rotation?

8.  Finally, will there be a new pre-game introductory video that is as jam up as the Bull smashing the crates one?

Man, I wish I could be there for all of it.  Count yourself as lucky if you can go to the Elon game.

Normal

Archived