Ricky Ponton Granted Release

On_the_Chip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

The idea is to rehabilitate the kid, that would be considered success.  The report found that a two game suspension, (the NCAA recommended penalty) is harsh enough to nock a kid back to reality.  They found that the 1/2 season suspension resulted in a much higher drop out rate.  All 3 are gone, if any one of these kids had stayed it out that would have been a great success.  

These kids smoked some pot, please don't even try to compare that to being a sexual predator.  That's not the same game, hell that's not even in the same f**king ballpark.  

As far as predators go, here is a good question for our justice system: If you have to label them a predator and monitor their location at all times because they're dangerous, then maybe they don't need to be out in society and should never see the light of day...  But then again I guess we need that room in jail for all the drug offenders.  

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  624

Twilly, I don't what the hell you are rambling about but I am glad Ponton is gone. He was only making our team look bad. He is a thug, and thugs don't deserve to play D-I College football. If he couldn't stop smokin weed for USF, I don't want him.

On the other hand, Verpaele is a knife to the side. That kid showed some real talent last year. I hope he comes back strong in '08.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
The idea is to rehabilitate the kid, that would be considered success.  The report found that a two game suspension, (the NCAA recommended penalty) is harsh enough to nock a kid back to reality.  They found that the 1/2 season suspension resulted in a much higher drop out rate.  All 3 are gone, if any one of these kids had stayed it out that would have been a great success.  

These kids smoked some pot, please don't even try to compare that to being a sexual predator.  That's not the same game, hell that's not even in the same f**king ballpark.  

As far as predators go, here is a good question for our justice system: If you have to label them a predator and monitor their location at all times because they're dangerous, then maybe they don't need to be out in society and should never see the light of day...  But then again I guess we need that room in jail for all the drug offenders.  

[smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif] [smiley=roflmao.gif]

I was just waiting for you to come back with the tired ol' "please don't even try to compare it" garbage.

If you would take about 16 seconds to read, and maybe another 9 seconds to comprehend what you've read, you would see my point is not to say pot smoking & sexual assault are equally vicious crimes.

The entire point of my post up there is directed to your statements, not specific crimes.

Let me draw a picture for you...

Oh, forget it.  If you couldn't get it the first time around, there is no way any amount of dumbing down will be successful either.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

Give it up, twilly. All you have to back you up is an NCAA study....   ;)

Guest 1Bullsfan

The Ponton decision is the right one. Leavitt does his best to keep the program as clean as possible. After watching the team through the years, one thing is constant about Leavitt...ATTITUDE is everything. Of all the years to have M. Ford, he came in just in time.

As for Verparlee, it is a shame, but the rules apply to all.

• Content Count:  1,433

I think Ponton and Verpaele were both of pretty good quality on the field....but can be replaced.  I'm still confused on Verpaele...but it did say he'll be eligible for the 2008 season.

This is the article i just saw...re-published Oracle article from CSTV...

Football adds Miami to schedule, four players off team

By Brendan Galella The Oracle

June 4, 2007

Tampa, FL (CSTV U-WIRE) -- The Bulls football team announced five new additions to their future schedule and four subtractions to this year's roster.

Schedule USF finalized a six-game series with the University of Miami, renewing the match-up Sept. 26, 2009, at Raymond James Stadium. The remaining four contests will be played during future Thanksgiving weekends.

"Through a lot of work we've been able to schedule Miami for five years straight, three times in Tampa," Coach Jim Leavitt said. "To me, that's one of the most powerful moves that has ever happened in the history of our program because it's not like it's two games there and one game here ... I am excited as I can be about it."

The Hurricanes won the first game of the series 27-7 on Oct. 1, 2005, at the Orange Bowl in Miami.

The series will alternate between Miami and Tampa, with the Hurricanes serving as host in 2010 and 2012 and traveling to visit USF in 2011 and 2013.

Along with the opportunity to play one of college football's elite programs on an annual basis, the series expects to be among the biggest draws to ESPN's Thanksgiving Day Weekend packages.

"We have always shared a strong desire with Miami to make a long-term series happen, and at the same time ESPN has expressed it has a strong desire to have rivalry match-ups like this one available for its Thanksgiving Weekend selections," USF Athletic Director Doug Woolard said. "We think this is a great game for fans of college football."

The announcement of the series rearranges previously scheduled dates with Florida and Indiana. Originally, the Bulls were slated to travel to Gainesville in 2010, but that game has been pushed back to 2015, while Indiana's visit to Tampa has been delayed from 2011 until 2016.

Roster Changes Running back Ricky Ponton's troubled tenure with the Bulls has come to an end.

After missing the first six games last year for violating team rules, Ponton and strong safety Danny Verpaele have been declared ineligible for the 2007 season.

Ponton has been granted his release from the University and will transfer to another school, while Verpaele will remain at USF.

Ponton was expected to join Moise Plancher, Mike Ford and Ben Williams as the primary backs for USF. During the 2005 season, Ponton served as the primary backup to Andre Hall, and last year he rushed for 101 yards on 17 carries against North Carolina during his first game back from suspension.

Verpaele, listed as the starting safety during USF's spring drills, is a big loss for the team. The junior was expected to fill the void left by Jeremy Burnett's departure to the Minnesota Vikings.

After an impressive freshman season, Sporting News listed Verpaele as a third-team Freshman All-America in 2004, but a foot injury cost him the 2005 season. Verpaele returned last year to appear in all 13 games, intercepting one pass, forcing a fumble and tying for fourth on the team with six passes broken up.

Verpaele now has only one year of eligibility remaining, in 2008.

Kicker Mike Benzer has left the team to focus on academics and linebacker LeBrandon Glover will transfer.

Coach Jim Leavitt and other USF officials had no comment on any of the former players.

© 2007 The Oracle via CSTV U-WIRE

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Not surprised that Ponton is gone. He certainly isn't a team based on his act at the Bowl game.

I forgot - what did he do again?

• Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

Bye Bye Ponton, you blew it and when you are forty you will realize it.  Some kids just can't grow up.  I would rather not have a National contender team and have Leavitt force the kids to follow the rules.  Society has rules just like Nam.  "The Big Lebowski"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

I would rather not have a National contender team and have Leavitt force the kids to follow the rules.

Let's not go overboard with this stuff....

• Content Count:  937

so does that mean verpeale loses a year of eligibility since he can't play this upcoming season. Thats what it sounds to me?

Archived