Ricky Ponton Granted Release

On_the_Chip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  261
  • Days Won:  0

With Verpeale being out, I guess this means Charlton Sinclair will get some PT. I can't wait to see how this kid will turn out. He's related to the retired Ray Sinclair of the Seattle Seahawks. This guy has pedigree.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  193

Ponton has to go down as one of the biggest disappointments in the short history of USF football.  Verpaele was overrated in my book, but it hurts in terms of the depth of the position.  We should be OK though.

I can think of several other players that were bigger dissapointments. Johnny Peyton being one.

Guest BasketBull.

Q: Did Ponton have the talent to be our featured back?

I know it's a moo point now (hommage to Joey Tribbiani), but was it his problems off the field that kept him from being the #1 back after Hall left, or was it simply talent and effort?

Let's say he didn't get suspended last year, would he have been the starter?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,953
  • Days Won:  436

Q: Did Ponton have the talent to be our featured back?

I know it's a moo point now (hommage to Joey Tribbiani), but was it his problems off the field that kept him from being the #1 back after Hall left, or was it simply talent and effort?

Let's say he didn't get suspended last year, would he have been the starter?

He looked **** good the year he spelled Andre and should have been the #1 back last year, without the problems, unless Plancher was really something special. Didn't see Moises enough in real game action to really tell...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,271
  • Days Won:  29

I think it's too harsh to say Ponton was a blunder . . . hist first year was behind Hall, 2nd season was only played half because of suspension.

Each season he was here, we recruited better backs ... think it's as simple as that.

• Content Count:  1,757

It proves the NCAA study that a half season suspension (for the second drug infraction) does not help discipline, but serves to worsen behaviour and results in greater turnover.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
It proves the NCAA study that a half season suspension (for the second drug infraction) does not help discipline, but serves to worsen behaviour and results in greater turnover.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

So you're saying the rules are too harsh.

Kind of like how sexual predators need counseling, not jail time, right?

If the suspension was not enough to kick him (and the ever-growing number of others) in the pants and wake him up, he was never going to stop anyhow.  

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Not surprised that Ponton is gone. He certainly isn't a team based on his act at the Bowl game.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,953
  • Days Won:  436

So you're saying the rules are too harsh.

Kind of like how sexual predators need counseling, not jail time, right?

[highlight]If the suspension was not enough to kick him (and the ever-growing number of others) in the pants and wake him up, he was never going to stop anyhow.[/highlight]

Exactly... So don't make the suspension for so long of a time so you can have his services for more games. If you're going to lose him anyway, get as many games as possible out of him .... if he's good.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Archived