Intersting numbers: USF Alumni in Bay Area

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

I was thinking about this.  Both me and my daughter graduated from USF and live in Hernando.  But she got married and moved to Kansas two years ago.  I don't think she is an Alumni Assoc. member.  I wonder if they still count her as in Hernando.  If so, I wonder how accurate these numbers can be with people being so mobile and (of course) not contacting USF to notify them that they moved.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was thinking about this.  Both me and my daughter graduated from USF and live in Hernando.  But she got married and moved to Kansas two years ago.  I don't think she is an Alumni Assoc. member.  I wonder if they still count her as in Hernando.  If so, I wonder how accurate these numbers can be with people being so mobile and (of course) not contacting USF to notify them that they moved.

Possibly.  The numbers are based on the last known address... but, you'd be surprised.  Between the Annual Fund and Alumni Association mailings, they can keep the list pretty up to date.

(Oh and there is a contact trying to start a Hernando County chapter. Merrell Dickey can put you in touch with her).

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Those numbers are a little large.  I'm sure that some of those people are relocated by now...

In any case, I'll be the one to start to Ft. Lauderdale Alumni Chapter.  Unless there already it one?!?!?!  Then I'll start one somewhere else...lol

• Content Count:  3,574

We have just over 1,300 in the Philadelphia/S. Jersey area.  There are outstanding alumni chapters with even more outstanding alumni volunteers heading these chapters.  

Is there an Alumni Chapter in the Northeast?  I checked online and I did not see one, but maybe you know something that we don't.

Boston is my next stop...

Thanks!

• Content Count:  5,691

That one in 30 is deceiving

What percentage of residents are college grads? Maybe 25 percent?

That would make it more like one out of nine

How many are under the age of 18?

Wonder how may alums from uf and fsu there are as it always seems their crap is everywhere.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

Wonder how may alums from uf and fsu there are as it always seems their crap is everywhere.

Can't even begin to calculate their alums in the area based on the crap you see around ..... Half, if not more, of the ones sporting their colors aren't alumni. A goodly portion of the Gator crap you see is being sported by knuckle dragging, trailer residing white trash whose daddy's daddy "were a Gator fan"...

• Content Count:  5,691

Can't even begin to calculate their alums in the area based on the crap you see around ..... Half, if not more, of the ones sporting their colors aren't alumni. A goodly portion of the Gator crap you see is being sported by knuckle dragging, trailer residing white trash whose daddy's daddy "were a Gator fan"...

i do recall there being way more trashy bandwagon gator fans than noles fans.....maybe the close proximity?

• Content Count:  937

those numbers sound about right... one of the problems with USF is, people from tampa go to USF only to stay and work in tampa...

if more people moved away it would help our national image as a university as more people would recognize the name.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

i do recall there being way more trashy bandwagon gator fans than noles fans.....maybe the close proximity?

Tons more ..... the inbreeding will do that.

• Content Count:  594

That one in 30 is deceiving

What percentage of residents are college grads? Maybe 25 percent?

That would make it more like one out of nine

How many are under the age of 18?

Hillsborough County has 50,627 USF alumni. I do not know if that number is "alumni" (meaning you attended) or "graduates." The vast majority of people think "alumni" means graduates, but it doesn't. It simply means "a former student."

Hillsborough County has 109,058 total citizens holding bachelor's degrees. That's 16%. 80-some thousand are college dropouts or have associate's degrees, meaning 189,000 or so of Hillsborough County residents might have attended USF. Using the broad definition of alumnus, 28% of college-educated Hillsborough County residents went to USF. Using the more strict (the one the alumni office would, I assume, use) it's closer to 50%.

Archived