USF recruit headed to Pearl River

BULLfreak

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Professa, The reality is USF is not going to pull that type of talent in regularly unless we are willing to take a flyer on a kid who is struggling academically, has some past behavior issues, or wants to play a position that other schools won't sign him to play.

I too am upset at the number of kids that have not qualified the last few years, it's very high and probably one of the highest in the country. But you have to recognize that the Noel Devines, Chris Raineys, and John Brantleys of this state are not going to just waltz into USF because we're a growing program.

Yes it sucks, but its better than taking no chance at all and missing on a kid that schools like UF and FSU had pretty high on their last before discovering possible academic troubles.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

Guys, this is not a good thing. We may of had OUR best recruiting class to date but compared to others it was average...at best.

These are the type of players you can not lose, this happens to often. [highlight]Are we becoming a dumping ground for kids that can't make grades?[/highlight] I'd like to think, "not the case" but...

How are we a dumping ground? What am I missing about this?? The kid's not going to be HERE. He wasn't going to be ANYWHERE at the 1-A level this year. We didn't NOT sign somebody else to sign him because we are over the limit ....

Please stop with all the melodramatics.

To Greg, you say we haven't hit with anyone coming out of PRCC since you've been here but have we sent anyone there and then lost them to another school when they came out?

• Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

Guys, this is not a good thing. We may of had OUR best recruiting class to date but compared to others it was average...at best.

These are the type of players you can not lose, this happens to often. [highlight]Are we becoming a dumping ground for kids that can't make grades?[/highlight] I'd like to think, "not the case" but...

How are we a dumping ground? What am I missing about this?? The kid's not going to be HERE. He wasn't going to be ANYWHERE at the 1-A level this year. We didn't NOT sign somebody else to sign him because we are over the limit ....

Please stop with all the melodramatics.

To Greg, you say we haven't hit with anyone coming out of PRCC since you've been here but have we sent anyone there and then lost them to another school when they came out?

I don't think we have lost anybody to another school.  I think this is all relatively new with us sending guys up that way.  I also don't think we signed Harry out of high school?  So Coleman is the only one that didn't make it back, but that was due to legal issues I think.

So Spires and C Hill will be the first true test, followed by Stirrups, Frazier (even though we didn't sign him out of HS) and Davis.

I don't see the risk in doing this at all.  

There is a risk because coming out of community college reopens the recruiting process. Luckily, many BCS schools limit or don't take JuCo recruits, USF isn't really against the idea.

• Content Count:  3,714

There is a risk because coming out of community college reopens the recruiting process. Luckily, many BCS schools limit or don't take JuCo recruits, USF isn't really against the idea.

Then we lose them on signing day out of high school.  At least now, we build the relationship with a chance of coming back in 2 years.  

Your way - almost a 0% chance of coming back

USF way - something greater than a 0% chance

I don't disagree with signing him, I'm just saying there is a risk down the road of losing him.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,954
  • Days Won:  436

I don't disagree with signing him, [highlight]I'm just saying there is a risk down the road of losing him[/highlight].

But no risk in signing him, which is all KB said .... You sure do complicate things at times, Joe.  ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,272
  • Days Won:  29

Some thoughts on here always amaze me . . .

Trip explains it perfectly.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Really Joe?  What schools do this, please name them because even Vandy has taken an occasional JC.  The only school I know that is BCS that strictly forbid's JC transfers is ND.

This kid was good and he'll probably be back.  Claude screwed himself early on and it was to little to late.  He went to most of the USF games as a fan, and for those informed, though I think Claude was a talented specimen who's best football days are ahead he still only had 7 sacks as a senior DE.

We signed 27 players, 28 if you include Kevin Williams.  We're suppose to expect a few will not make it.  Funnier yet, Claude wasn't going to be playing much this year, not unless you think this kid was going to jump ahead of Woody George, Robinson, Selvie, and Buie...naw not happening so he wasn't an immediate play guy anyway.

Greg, the crack on it not being fruitful since you took the beat makes sense however they just started using it lately as a vehicle to put most of their recruits.  This isn't some easy bake oven then creates ready made players.  The fact we've got a JC willing to take most of our unqualified is a good thing, maybe they make it, maybe they don't but the JC has nothing to do with it.

This year alone will bring back Carlton Hill, and Spires from there.  As you've pointed out we've got Marshall, Stirrups, Davis, and Frazier all there, and I'd say probably a 75% chance at least half of those guys make it back to USF.  Check the statistics, outside of a small percentage of top 30 players most JC guys struggle to make it big at BCS schools.  Usually the wisest thing for them to do is go to smaller schools where they compete against lesser HS talent.  That way the guys that have the 2 year head start don't have as big an advantage due to athleticism.

Pearl River is doing exactly what we wanted it to do, and it's a good thing for us now to sign a few extra each year to send there.  

• Content Count:  1,913

Wasn't meant as a crack, just a statement of fact. USF and Pearl River have a good relationship for both parties. Only reason I said "since I've been on the beat" is that I figured USF got somebody from Pearl River back in 1997 who played for the Bulls, and I know you guys would know that and catch that. That's all.

Kevin Williams really hasn't been an option for this class since January, when he went out to San Francisco. He could be a part of next year's class.

Archived