Annual Rivalry-USF/UM

Mama_Bull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,272
  • Days Won:  29

... look at Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU.  They are all projected in the top 20.  ...  

Go Bulls!

And so many(including on this board) 4get about this.

:GoBulls

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  958
  • Days Won:  0

this is an incredible opportunity

and to think last year our own local newspapers were calling us out saying we should play UCF and not think we are above them

• Content Count:  385

this is an incredible opportunity

and to think last year our own local newspapers were calling us out saying we should play UCF and not think we are above them

Like I said before in this thread, I like the UM series much more than the UCF series, but I still think that UCF can become a really good series, just not right now. If they get into a BCS conference, then I can see playing them more often.  Right now it just makes sense that the UM series would be better than a UCF series, on all levels.

• Content Count:  4,879

If annual nationally televised series with UM gets inked it will be the best off-field news for Bulls since admittance to BE.

UM will learn to love this annual game as it will be one of their two highest attendance marks at home, and will give them positioning above their ACC counterpart Noles in Bay Area.

This also quickly becomes the premier OOC game in BE.

• Content Count:  808

This also quickly becomes the premier OOC game in BE.

Wow you may be right. After I read that, I started trying to think up other BE OOC games of interest....

Better than WVU-Marshall?

Better than Louisville-UK?

Yeah, I think you're right

Guest 1Bullsfan

*knock knock* The Florida 3 is about to become the Florida 4!!

UCF....enjoy CMIA and good luck against USM and Memphis!

• Content Count:  10,219

IMO USF has already posted their credentials as "legit" (ONLY 10 yrs OLD):

WE ARE BCS, ONLY 5 years in D1A with three 8+ win seasons, 2 top 10 wins in the last two years with one on the road. consecutive bowl games with one win. (to compare us to UCF, FIU or FAU is insulting) However, with no "trophy" a year or two slippage could relegate you to obscurity once more

we do not need UM to validate us...playing them will add icing to the cake but our cake is baked and out of the oven.

lastly, playing or not playing UM will not prevent us from getting into top 25 then top 10. I almost believe we have more to lose by playing UM...they clearly have better talent and cont losses would "prove" we do not belong among the "big 3",  where as right now we have made our own way and should cont to progress.

personally i am ok but not "happy" with this deal right now...i would rather have "in hand" a BE title or two, a BCS game or two and a top 15 ranking or two before this series starts (5 losses will hurt our preception and may slow down our momentum). one man's opinion.

We don't want to be "legit", we want to be champions.  If you want to be the best you have to play top caliber teams from other BCS conferences.  Sure, you're going to lose a few, but you have to suit up and give it a try.  FSU made a name for themselves by taking on the top programs, often on the road.  First they earned respect, then they earned victories.

I think we are at the level of FSU and Miami right now, except for their past history.  Of course both of those teams are down a bit now from their glory days, but look at Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU.  They are all projected in the top 20.  Do you wish we weren't playing them this year because we could lose and be set back in reputation?  I think they'll be the best games of the year.

I welcome the potential rival game with Miami and hope that it can become one with huge fan support from both sides.  

Go Bulls!

there are some things you cannot control...BE conference schedule, hope all three BE teams are top 10 when we beat them.

that said your OCC that you to some extent control must be maximized in a balance of exposure and preception.

I like this series for many reasons and it is what this program has aspired to since it was on the drawing board. Someone said it could be the best BE OCC game and IF we capitalize on our potential it will be.

That said, the door to the national stage is open for us, however, we have not stepped unto that stage yet.

the UM annual series is a great opportunity to do that from the exposure side of the equation, but it carries some risk from the perception standpoint IF we do not give a good (UL like) account of ourselves.

Finally, let me say i bullieve we are ready to make that step, in a perfect world we would win the BE, win a BCS game then get this series rolling. I just do not want to see USF or the BE star fade in anyway.

When opportunity knocks the brave and the bold grab it and hang on. GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  639

-UCF is scheduled to play Miami in 2008, 2009, and 2010

-Miami doesn't care to play everyone in the state of Florida which is obvious w/ them wanting to play UF every year but UF won't agree to it.

-Most USF students enjoy the UCF series and it definitely has created the best atmosphere you could have for a USF home game

-Congrats on the deal

• Content Count:  3,574

-UCF is scheduled to play Miami in 2008, 2009, and 2010

-Miami doesn't care to play everyone in the state of Florida which is obvious w/ them wanting to play UF every year but UF won't agree to it.

-Most USF students enjoy the UCF series and it definitely has created the best atmosphere you could have for a USF home game

-Congrats on the deal

-Your deal is a 2-1 (with UM having 2 home games).  We have 2 home and home series with them (not including this new development).  One game has been played.

-"Most USF students enjoy the UCF series and it definitely has created the best atmosphere you could have for a USF home game"... Same can be said about UCF students.  However, once this series starts with UM, the new atmosphere with UM will flatten the one with UCF as USF students, alumni, and fans will find it more appealing.

-The deal hasn't been finalized, but thanks.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Well, I can tell you the last Thanksgiving game for Miami was a disaster for ESPN.  Sure, they beat Boston College, but the Orange Bowl was basically empty.

That's because Miami was a disaster last year.

Archived