Annual Rivalry-USF/UM

Mama_Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

A great opportunity for the Bulls to have a College Thanksgiving Game with UM.  Would the game be played on Friday for TV?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i wonder what the miami fans think of this game now, after a season has gone by, and we were ranked higher than them, and will probably be a top 25 team to start off the season.

Most think it's fine... a few look down on USF like we look down on UCF...

This is their Independent Message Board Thread...

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Well, I can tell you the last Thanksgiving game for Miami was a disaster for ESPN.  Sure, they beat Boston College, but the Orange Bowl was basically empty. I think that failure experiment  may have helped USF. I hope USF does not play the game on Thanksgiving day though. I just want a nice Saturday after Thanksgiving game with Miami. It would be pretty fun to talk about during Thanksgiving diner.

• Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

they really have no idea about our program.  the cane fans think we are a lesser opponent than them and will hurt their poll points???  we finished higher than both FSU and Miami this past season, you have got to be kidding me.

• Content Count:  10,219

IMO USF has already posted their credentials as "legit" (ONLY 10 yrs OLD):

WE ARE BCS, ONLY 5 years in D1A with three 8+ win seasons, 2 top 10 wins in the last two years with one on the road. consecutive bowl games with one win. (to compare us to UCF, FIU or FAU is insulting) However, with no "trophy" a year or two slippage could relegate you to obscurity once more

we do not need UM to validate us...playing them will add icing to the cake but our cake is baked and out of the oven.

lastly, playing or not playing UM will not prevent us from getting into top 25 then top 10. I almost believe we have more to lose by playing UM...they clearly have better talent and cont losses would "prove" we do not belong among the "big 3",  where as right now we have made our own way and should cont to progress.

personally i am ok but not "happy" with this deal right now...i would rather have "in hand" a BE title or two, a BCS game or two and a top 15 ranking or two before this series starts (5 losses will hurt our preception and may slow down our momentum). one man's opinion.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,269
  • Days Won:  29

I agree about the "icing on the cake" ...

But a series has already started ... and hopefully a long term series begins and in 2009, we'll very well could have accomplished what you (and all of us) desire.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

WE ARE BCS, ONLY 5 years in D1A with three 8+ win seasons, 2 top 10 wins in the last two years with one on the road. consecutive bowl games with one win. (to compare us to UCF, FIU or FAU is insulting) However, with no "trophy" a year or two slippage could relegate you to obscurity once more

we do not need UM to validate us...playing them will add icing to the cake but our cake is baked and out of the oven.

lastly, playing or not playing UM will not prevent us from getting into top 25 then top 10. I almost believe we have more to lose by playing UM...they clearly have better talent and cont losses would "prove" we do not belong among the "big 3",  where as right now we have made our own way and should cont to progress.

personally i am ok but not "happy" with this deal right now...i would rather have "in hand" a BE title or two, a BCS game or two and a top 15 ranking or two before this series starts (5 losses will hurt our preception and may slow down our momentum). one man's opinion.

We don't want to be "legit", we want to be champions.  If you want to be the best you have to play top caliber teams from other BCS conferences.  Sure, you're going to lose a few, but you have to suit up and give it a try.  FSU made a name for themselves by taking on the top programs, often on the road.  First they earned respect, then they earned victories.

I think we are at the level of FSU and Miami right now, except for their past history.  Of course both of those teams are down a bit now from their glory days, but look at Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU.  They are all projected in the top 20.  Do you wish we weren't playing them this year because we could lose and be set back in reputation?  I think they'll be the best games of the year.

I welcome the potential rival game with Miami and hope that it can become one with huge fan support from both sides.  

Go Bulls!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

We don't want to be "legit", we want to be champions.  If you want to be the best you have to play top caliber teams from other BCS conferences.  Sure, you're going to lose a few, but you have to suit up and give it a try.  FSU made a name for themselves by taking on the top programs, often on the road.  First they earned respect, then they earned victories.

I think we are at the level of FSU and Miami right now, except for their past history.  Of course both of those teams are down a bit now from their glory days, but look at Louisville, Rutgers, and WVU.  They are all projected in the top 20.  [highlight]Do you wish we weren't playing them this year because we could lose and be set back in reputation?  I think they'll be the best games of the year.[/highlight]

I welcome the potential rival game with Miami and hope that it can become one with huge fan support from both sides.  

Go Bulls!

Hear, hear.......I agree 100%.  I am chomping at the bit for September.

• Content Count:  1,757

Loosing to Miami in a close game would do much more for our reputation than a blowout win over the likes of UCF or FIU.  

The year we get both UM and UF on the schedule will be our first shot (schedule wise) for a legitamite National Championship run.  This is what CJL has been dreaming about... getting the opportunity at a BCS championship quality schedule every year.  

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Loosing to Miami in a close game would do much more for our reputation than a blowout win over the likes of UCF or FIU.  

The year we get both UM and UF on the schedule will be our first shot (schedule wise) for a legitamite National Championship run.  This is what CJL has been dreaming about... getting the opportunity at a BCS championship quality schedule every year.  

Can't wait!  We have the talent.  As I have said over and over again, there are 2 things we have to worry about.......turnovers and penalties.   We take care of those issues we can beat any team, we have nothing to lose, and everything to gain by playing the "top" teams.

Archived