Jenn Sterger (sorta) slams USF

NAM37

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

She was a freshman 6 years ago.......  Its not the same school as today.

-Gurly

speaking as somebody who was here 6 years ago, we were a communter school then, we have added at least 4 new dorms to the campus, plus a lot more parking.  the only thing that has gone down is Greek Life, which when I first started here had close to 400 guys going through fall rush.  Now we are lucky to get 200 to rush in the fall.  Greek life back then was so much better than it is now, the parties were better, and you didn't have to worry about getting the parties broken up by ATF and having half your friends get written up by the police.

here's the thing-- USF has done nothing but try to repress Greek organizations the entire time I have been around (since 1985 or so). Yeah-- they put up those weak houses that are expensive and basically dorms with a huge deposit and liability. But since I came to USF-- they have removed the use of kegs during softball games (no lie-- you used to be able to have a keg in the dugout) and on and on. Who would join a fraternity these days? Just by joining one, you are suddenly under some sort of probation by the school in that you cannot throw parties that you advertise or that aren't manned by caterers or yada yada yada. Meanwhile, the Surf Club gets student activity funds to make trips to wherever the hell they want to go. ANd no one gives a rip if they advertise a party. OK-- maybe there isn't a surf club anymore (I'll bet there is and mnay others jkust like it though) that have all the cake and eat it too. Meanwhile-- the Greeks get blamed for poor student support and pun ished for trying to do the same things any other student can do at will.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  0

here's the thing-- USF has done nothing but try to repress Greek organizations the entire time I have been around (since 1985 or so). Yeah-- they put up those weak houses that are expensive and basically dorms with a huge deposit and liability. But since I came to USF-- they have removed the use of kegs during softball games (no lie-- you used to be able to have a keg in the dugout) and on and on. Who would join a fraternity these days? Just by joining one, you are suddenly under some sort of probation by the school in that you cannot throw parties that you advertise or that aren't manned by caterers or yada yada yada. Meanwhile, the Surf Club gets student activity funds to make trips to wherever the hell they want to go. ANd no one gives a rip if they advertise a party. OK-- maybe there isn't a surf club anymore (I'll bet there is and mnay others jkust like it though) that have all the cake and eat it too. Meanwhile-- the Greeks get blamed for poor student support and pun ished for trying to do the same things any other student can do at will.

i could care less about the greek system, BUT BUT BUT, does anyone know why USF opted for the greek village vs. the actual frat houses/sorority houses?  a Frat Row / Sorority Row does wonders in terms of beautifying a campus.. i know a lot of people dont like giving UCF credit around here, but their Frat Row blows away our greek village in terms of asthetics.

• Content Count:  2,527

Oh my gosh you guys, lay off.  This is someone who has brought a lot of positive press to our university.  FIrst of all, her parents are big donors as well as loyal season ticket holders. She went to USF 6 years ago.  Im sorry, it was a HEAVY commuter school then.  Football was not so great, greek life was not huge and lets face it, a lot of the bars/club nights were not around.  I thought a lot of these qualities were lacking my freshman year and that was only 4 years ago.  She does not live too far from campus and I am sure that a huge amount of her high school went to USF.  I had almost a third of my graduating class from an hour away in Clearwater go to USF and it was hard to find my own niche, but I did.  Her parents are very supportive and are wonderful people.  She has also given me the opportunities to bring more positive press to USF and I am the first Cowgirl not from Tally.  (Note the Avatar)  Tally is not my favorite, but BELIEVE me, they are ALOT better/nicer/everything than the Gators a little north.  I don't find FSU threatening in any way and I even made some friends last year when they came to the Forum by making a deal with their fans to cheer for us and we'd cheer for them.  (FSU fans make some good Bulls fans!!)   I know that I cannot change every haters minds, but I hope this board doesnt become another close minded place for people to bash.  In working with the Cowgirls, I myself have come across a lot of this same attitude, though not near as much as Jenn, and it sucks because people would never know how much I know about sports and how much I love USF.  Would you say these things about me?  BEcause you might as well be...   I know she could have written it in a different manner, but not everyone is going to have a perfect experience at our school.  Take off your green and gold goggles and stop judging.  She supports USF and has a large audience with SI.com.  SHe is also responsible for USF having several photos of the day and Cheerleader of the week.  Not even FSU has had two cheerleaders of the week represented.  Cmon Bulls, dont be like everyone else.  Accept the slight criticism and work to change it instead of ******** about it.   Jenn Sterger is our friend....

-Gurly     :-[

BULL-violation!!!

I graduated from USF almost 15 years ago.  There were plenty of bars around USF back then.  The Sober-Ride was very popular back then, so there must have been at least 1 or 2 bars around USF for it to exist.   ::)  ::)  ::)

The frats were total clowns back then, and none of them had on campus houses.  It was fun to make fun of the fools who would pay $300 a semester to make "friends".  Hell, I made my bones with the Oracle back then busting them for acting worse than the drunks from Delta House and more like the "privileged" spoiled brats from Alpha Beta.  

Ybor City was worse than current Iraq back then.  Now it is a vibrant (sort of now that dufus Pam is mayor) entertainment district.

You young-uns act like as if USF broke ground two days ago, and it takes decades to build a "scene".  Jen "I'm gonna dance at Mons or 2001 once ESPN gets tired of me" did not graduate from USF.  She was a total nobody when she was at USF.

Frak her.  (to paraphrase that annoying new Battlestar Galactica).

Hulk Hogan attended USF almost as long as Jen, and he is just as friendly to USF as she is.

If you are looking for a big time USF alum, then give a shout to Gallagher.  I think he should use his Sledge-O-Matic on her fake watermelons.  

i could care less about the greek system, BUT BUT BUT, [highlight]does anyone know why USF opted for the greek village vs. the actual frat houses/sorority houses?[/highlight]  a Frat Row / Sorority Row does wonders in terms of beautifying a campus.. i know a lot of people dont like giving UCF credit around here, but their Frat Row blows away our greek village in terms of asthetics.

At the risk of hijacking this thread...

Yes. With the exception of a couple of sororities, most of the groups who committed to the original "Greek Park" were unable to raise private $$ to build the houses.  The original idea for Greek Park is the road 'behind' Red McEwen field, a cul-de-sac with nothing on it right now.  Groups paid $25,000 each to 'lease' the lot - the funds paid for the road and infrastructure.  They had a limited time within which they had to start to build, or they lost their lease.

Now, the University decided that a strong Greek system is an important part of the "college experience" for some students.  They know having on-campus Greek housing can help foster that environment.  So the university paid for the construction, and the groups lease the houses ... the 20-room houses are about $110,000 per year.  USF residence life collects "rent" that is set by the groups - not by USF - from the students who live in the House and applies that "rent" to the total House lease.

USF has done a heck of a lot in the past few years to foster a solid Greek community.

BUT....

BUT... USF no longer gives each organization the names of incoming freshmen.  Fraternities used to get the name of every incoming male so they could send individual letters.  These letters, often addressed to the parents, went a long way into building interest.  However, USF is concerned with privacy, and now only includes information in a larger "info pack" sent to incoming freshmen.

Moreover, when I started at USF in 1990 Ybor City was dead.  There were a handful of nightclubs, the most popular of which was a gay bar called "Trax" -- and students would go on Thursdays because it was an unofficial "straight night".  So students needed an outlet for partying --> the Greek system.  

My first weekend at USF, before I ever thought of joining a fraternity, I was given a flyer for a "10-Keg Party" by Lambda Chi Alpha at the old "Palm -Something-" apartments at the corner of 50th and Fletcher.  Now USF prohibits the advertising of parties and most greek organizaitons' risk management policies don't allow for open (as in no-guest-list) parties.

In 1990, most fraternities were 70-80 guys or more - now most are lucky to be 40-50.  Students have more social options today than they used to, and the University doesn't market Greek life as strongly as it used to.  The fraternities themselves have done a terrible job of promoting the system as a whole, and there are more benefits than just the social side.

Still... most of USF's greek organizations are less than 30 yrs old... many (very many) of them are less than 15 yrs old.  Our "Greek alumni" base is like the broader alumni base - smaller and less financially established than other major universities.

In time it will change.

* End of Rant *

• Content Count:  549

Oh my gosh you guys, lay off.  This is someone who has brought a lot of positive press to our university.  FIrst of all, her parents are big donors as well as loyal season ticket holders. She went to USF 6 years ago.  Im sorry, it was a HEAVY commuter school then.  Football was not so great, greek life was not huge and lets face it, a lot of the bars/club nights were not around.  I thought a lot of these qualities were lacking my freshman year and that was only 4 years ago.  She does not live too far from campus and I am sure that a huge amount of her high school went to USF.  I had almost a third of my graduating class from an hour away in Clearwater go to USF and it was hard to find my own niche, but I did.  Her parents are very supportive and are wonderful people.  She has also given me the opportunities to bring more positive press to USF and I am the first Cowgirl not from Tally.  (Note the Avatar)  Tally is not my favorite, but BELIEVE me, they are ALOT better/nicer/everything than the Gators a little north.  I don't find FSU threatening in any way and I even made some friends last year when they came to the Forum by making a deal with their fans to cheer for us and we'd cheer for them.  (FSU fans make some good Bulls fans!!)   I know that I cannot change every haters minds, but I hope this board doesnt become another close minded place for people to bash.  In working with the Cowgirls, I myself have come across a lot of this same attitude, though not near as much as Jenn, and it sucks because people would never know how much I know about sports and how much I love USF.  Would you say these things about me?  BEcause you might as well be...   I know she could have written it in a different manner, but not everyone is going to have a perfect experience at our school.  Take off your green and gold goggles and stop judging.  She supports USF and has a large audience with SI.com.  SHe is also responsible for USF having several photos of the day and Cheerleader of the week.  Not even FSU has had two cheerleaders of the week represented.  Cmon Bulls, dont be like everyone else.  Accept the slight criticism and work to change it instead of ******** about it.   Jenn Sterger is our friend....

-Gurly     :-[

BULL-violation!!!

I graduated from USF almost 15 years ago.  There were plenty of bars around USF back then.  The Sober-Ride was very popular back then, so there must have been at least 1 or 2 bars around USF for it to exist.   ::)  ::)  ::)

The frats were total clowns back then, and none of them had on campus houses.  It was fun to make fun of the fools who would pay $300 a semester to make "friends".  Hell, I made my bones with the Oracle back then busting them for acting worse than the drunks from Delta House and more like the "privileged" spoiled brats from Alpha Beta.  

Ybor City was worse than current Iraq back then.  Now it is a vibrant (sort of now that dufus Pam is mayor) entertainment district.

You young-uns act like as if USF broke ground two days ago, and it takes decades to build a "scene".  Jen "I'm gonna dance at Mons or 2001 once ESPN gets tired of me" did not graduate from USF.  She was a total nobody when she was at USF.

Hulk Hogan attended USF almost as long as Jen, and he is just as friendly to USF as she is.

If you are looking for a big time USF alum, then give a shout to Gallagher.  I think he should use his Sledge-O-Matic on her fake watermelons.  

Ding! ;D

• Content Count:  2,052

Man I can't wait for football. These layoffs are killin me.  :-X

Guest wildrover
[

BULL-violation!!!

Oh C'mon, that new BattlestarGalactica is pretty darn cool in my opinion.  Sure the generic cussing thing is lame, they are on cable after all why not just use the real F bomb?  But aside from that, Battlestar Galactica has come a long long way.

Oh wait......what are talking about again?   ;)

Archived