Sam Miller

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,313
  • Days Won:  490

A story from May 2nd, that I hadn't seen until just now.  I do not believe this has been discussed.

logo_w_tagline.jpg

Miller may fill starter position on Bull’s roster

By Brenda Locklear

After a couple of years and several plays on the field for University of South Florida’s Sam Miller, he may just be heading into his senior year on the start list for the Bulls’ roster.

Already this season, Miller led the Bulls in their Spring game with eight tackles and one sack.

The five-foot, eleven-inch linebacker said he’s ready and excited, but he’s also a little nervous.

“Very nervous,” he said with a laugh.

Relying on an ultimate work ethic and his ability, as coaches look at him for the weakside lineback position.

Miller has had an opportunity to play throughout his college career, but not in his position.

He’s also got some great support n with former Raider teammate and current Bull teammate Ben Moffitt by his side.

Modest, Miller likes to push attention toward others.

“He’s guiding me and giving me some tips,” he said of Moffitt.

A 2003 graduate of South Sumter High School, Miller is from Webster and played cornerback for the Raiders. Moving into this year as a linebacker, he said there’s a lot more talking involved n leading and guiding other teammates, while continuing to learn himself.

“At times I may get things wrong,” but he plans to stay confident and striving to be and do his best.

Miller learned that the coaches were looking to move him into the starting position during their spring practices. They’re off training right now, but they’ll be back at work by the end of this month.

He said they start lifting weights and conditioning on May 14. Miller was on both the weightlifting and track teams at South Sumter, but is focused on football at USF.

They spent four weeks in training.

While Miller says football is his dream, “First off is my education, before anything,” he said.

“With football, if I make it, that’s a blessing, but if I don’t I’m going to get a job and still work hard at what I do.”

Miller’s majoring in criminal justice n he got that from his mom Janice. She’s a deputy for the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office. His dad is Sam Miller.

The younger Miller is working his way to lawyer and said he’ll follow his career where the job opportunities are.

He said his mother inspired him n that she’s his role model.

My number one fan, my heart, that’s my everything,” he said respectfully of his mom and her support for him.

She takes pride in her son and keeps his picture on her desk, he said.

Now 22, Miller said his biggest strength is “My work ethic.”

That’s something he’s heard from Raiders’ coach Inman Sherman and the coaches at the university.

“I may not be the most talented or the smartest, but I try to give it my all on and off the field,” he said.

He’s been busy learning new plays and the system and getting more comfortable with what he’s doing.

He gave Sherman credit too, saying he’s been like a father figure to him.

Miller said football and Sherman were part of teaching him to “be like a man,” and to become a better man.

Miller is one of the top players to come from Sumter as he falls into category with Detroit Chargers professional player Clint Hart, Gator Earl Everett and Moffitt.

When asked how he felt about coming from a small community where several other outstanding players have come from, Miller said, “Most people think small town, small school there’s not that much talent,” Miller said.

He’s proud to come from Sumter.

Miller said Everett and the others are bringing more attention to Sumter County, which gives the students “Better opportunities to go to different colleges.”

He said Sherman keeps them all on track, adding that the Raiders’ coach drove him all the way to Georgia just to visit college there and see if that’s where he wanted to go to school.

He said that kept him off the streets, in school and motivated to go on to become better and better.

As for USF, he said the best thing is that it’s like “one big family and it’s closer to home.”

It’s a “great school, with great people here.”

Regardless of where things lead, Miller said, it’s school first and athletics later.

Linebackers have a variety of jobs, from breaking up the offense; to covering receivers and stopping pass plays.

Link

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,264
  • Days Won:  29

I'm excited about his potential this year ... we are soo deep at LB.

Thanx for the post !

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

hope he makes it

what a linebacking crew :)

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Yes we lost Nicholas and St. Louis, but I definitely feel we have filled in the gaps at the LB position.  

The waiting is killing me.  LOL

Archived