• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

Morning News

Local News for Northwest Arkansas

Hogs Add Combo Guard To Mix

By Dudley E. Dawson

Hawgs Illustrated

FAYETTEVILLE--Marcus Britt has always wanted to play for the University of Arkansas and new Razorback basketball coach John Pelphrey needed to add some depth to his backcourt.

Talk about working out in the end for both.

Britt, a 6-foot-3, 180-pound combo guard and all-Arkansas pick from Forrest City who originally inked with Louisiana Tech last November, will sign with Arkansas today.

After asking for and getting his release from La. Tech, Britt got a call from Pelphrey on Monday. He will join early signee Nate Rakestraw of Springdale Har-Ber as new Razorbacks next season.

"I always had it in my mind that Arkansas was where I wanted to play, but it didn't look it was going to work out for me," Britt said. "Now that it looks like it has, I couldn't be happier."

Arkansas could add one more recruit to its mix this spring in Springdale Har-Ber power forward Michael Sanchez (6-9, 230), who has offers from Arkansas, Wake Forest, Kentucky and Colorado.

The late signing period ends today at midnight.

Britt is coming off a senior season in which he averaged 18 points and was named all-conference, all-state, All-Arkansas and was named to the Arkansas High School Coaches Association All-Star game, which will be played June 21 in Fayetteville in Bud Walton Arena.

He did not get an offer from former Razorback coach Stan Heath during the early signing period and chose Louisiana Tech.

But when La. Tech coach Keith Richard was fired and then UA guard Sean McCurdy decided to transfer away to William and Mary, Britt asked for his release in hopes there would be a spot available for him in Fayetteville.

Count Forest City coach Dwight Lofton among those who believe everything has worked out for the best.

"The previous coach didn't see what a lot of other people have about this kid and that is a 6-3 guard who handles and passes the ball well, can really shoot it, but mostly does anything it takes for his team to win -- which is all he cares about," Lofton said. "Coach Pelpfrey had a scholarship open up and he sees what we do in Marcus. He is a winner and makes any team better.

"He's also an old-school kid," Lofton said. "He doesn't even have any tattoos."

Britt, who chose Arkansas over Heath's South Florida club and Colorado the second time around, is excited about coming to play for a coach that favors an up-tempo style.

"They are going to be really pushing the ball and I think that fits the way I play," Britt said. "I think I see the court really well, can pass the ball and can shoot it and also get after it on defense."

Britt will add to an Arkansas backcourt that will return senior point guard Gary Ervin and sophomores to be Patrick Beverley and Stefan Welsh.

"I think I will be playing both at the 1 and the 2," Britt said. "I'm excited about the opportunity.

Britt, along with fellow Mustang Division I signees Kelson Stewart (UALR) and Stefon Weaver (Arkansas State) as well as super soph Gavin Glanton, helped his team to a 26-4 record this season.

Forrest City won the 6A-East Conference title by sweeping Jonesboro in pair of regular season games.

The Mustangs couldn't do it a third time as Jonesboro beat them in the state title game despite Britt hitting six 3-pointers and pouring in a game-high 27 points.

Britt should be eligible to play next season because he recently added a high enough ACT score to couple with his grade point average and meet NCAA standards.

"He should be good to go," Lofton said. "It's great for him that this has all worked out and I really think he is going to go up there and help them a lot."

DUDLEY E. DAWSON IS A STAFF WRITER FOR HAWGS ILLUSTRATED, A STEPHENS MEDIA PUBLICATION. HIS COLUMN APPEARS EACH TUESDAY. E-MAIL: DEDSPORTS@AOL.COM

Archived