Interesting BE article.

BullsFanInTX

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=672465

Those stuck in the past may still argue the world is flat, the sun revolves around the Earth and the Big East isn't a legitimate football conference.

Don't worry, though. Living in the present is a good thing.

Of course, there are stubborn ones out there that maintain that when Miami, Boston College and Virginia Tech jumped ship for the ACC, the Big East became a sinking ship.

Admittedly, that appeared the case when Utah blasted Pittsburgh 35-7 in the Fiesta Bowl after the 2004 season. Big East detractors will still reference that as proof the Big East doesn't belong among the NCAA power conferences.

Yeah, and the horse-and-buggy will never be replaced.

Anyone who doubts the legitimacy of Big East football has obviously had their heads in the sand. West Virginia and Louisville are firmly established as national powers, Rutgers is close and South Florida is also an emerging program. Pittsburgh is usually respectable, too.

Still not convinced? That's OK. Some skeptics still doubt the moon landing, too.

But this isn't meant to chastise anyone. If this debate causes bad blood among any Big East detractors then sit back, apply some leeches and continue to read.

OLIN'S MAILBAG

Big East really big

Do you think the Big East should be a BCS conference? I don't. I just can't see Louisville and West Virginia beating teams like Michigan or USC or Florida. I think that the best teams in the Big East would have a hard time beating only decent teams in other BCS conferences. What do you think?

 Jack in Tulsa

Gotta disagree, Jack.

Big East teams were 11-7 against BCS conference opponents in the regular season in 2006, and went 5-0 in bowl games.

By comparison, the Big 12 was 3-8 in the regular season against BCS conference opponents and went 3-5 in bowl games. But no one is suggesting the Big 12 should lose its status as a BCS bowl.

The bottom of the Big East isn't great, but Syracuse did defeat Illinois and Connecticut did beat Indiana. No one is suggesting the Big Ten is a freeloader.

Big East detractors might argue that its regular season success was due to playing inferior BCS teams. But Louisville defeated Kentucky (bowl winner) and Miami (bowl winner). West Virginia defeated Maryland (bowl winner).

Also, consider Oklahoma State's non-conference schedule included Missouri State, Arkansas State, Florida Atlantic and Houston - which beat the Cowboys.

Don't forget the Big East champion has won its last two BCS bowl games. Louisville defeated ACC champion Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl last season and West Virginia knocked off SEC champion Georgia two years ago.

By the way, the Big East has three teams - West Virginia, Louisville and Rutgers - among the Rivals.com preseason Top 25. The Pac-10 has two. Nobody says the Pac-10 should lose its BCS status.

• Content Count:  172
  • Days Won:  0

Olin's comments are right on the mark, as they speak the truth based on fact. The problem is that most people disregard the truth and facts when forming their opinions.

I must admit I too was concerned about the validity of the BE as a BCS conference after the defections, but I was convinced of the BE's legitemacy after seeing WVU beat UGA two years ago, and Uof L whip the mighty "U" this past year. The BE belongs with the rest of the BCS.

One more thing to consider. Jack in Tulse mentions that BE teams(WVU, Uof L) would not beat the likes of USC, UF, Michigan. I ask the question, How many PAC-10, SEC, and Big 10 teams beat them last year? Answer, Not Many-USC 2, UF 1, Michigan 1. It seems their own conference opponents do not do well against the elite teams year in and year out.

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

I have always thought that USF is the big key for the conference. If USF can become powerful then all these naysayers will go away. UL, WVU, and Rutgers have helped the BIG EAST, but now it is time for USF to show those BIG EAST hating bozos that this conference is for real. I cant wait until football season!!!!

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

and those "big" upper half of the other bcs conferences are not lining up to play BE teams

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,261
  • Days Won:  29

and those "big" upper half of the other bcs conferences are not lining up to play BE teams

Exactly . . . we hear comments from "fans". The coaches know how good the Big East is and we will continue to be stronger.

Go BULLS !!!  :GoBulls

Archived