BaseBulls vs. Seton Hall

VickiM

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Way to go Danny!  Way to go offense!  Now we need to come out and win tomorrow's game.  We are currently tied for fifth place with ND.  They are 10-10 in conference, while we are 11-11.  They have Louisville this weekend though, so we should be able to overtake them with a really strong weekend.

• Content Count:  1,479
  • Days Won:  0

Great! Thanks for the updates Vicki!

• Content Count:  12,293

still gonna need to win the BE tourney to get to the NCAAS

Why was our leading RBI man Brandin Daniel batting in the 8 hole tonight?  It doesn't appear that they started a lefty with Consolmagno and Cardieri both in the lineup, but I could be wrong.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,310
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

USF BASEBALL

Bulls Snap Losing Streak With 4-2 Victory At Seton Hall

SOUTH ORANGE, N.J. (May 11, 2007) – The University of South Florida baseball team snapped its five-game losing streak Friday night in South Orange, N..J. as the Bulls beat Seton Hall 4-2 at Owen T. Carroll Field.

Senior right handed pitcher Danny Otero (8-6) earned his eighth win and fourth complete game of the season. Otero allowed seven hits and two runs while recording five strikeouts and just one walk in 9.0 innings. His 81 strikeouts are a team-high.  

Sophomores Addison Maruszak and Braulio Pardo were each 2-of-3 with one run scored in the 22nd BIG EAST game of the season. Pardo also picked up an RBI after hitting a double in the fourth inning. Senior Ty Taborelli was the only other Bull to record a multiple-hit game.  

The Bulls scored one in the first, then scored back-to-back runs in the third and fourth innings and added another in the eighth before the Pirates tallied two in the eighth to bring the score within two. USF held off Seton Hall in the final stanza to win 4-2, extending the Bulls' perfect 4-0 all-time series record against the Pirates.  

With two outs in the top of the first, junior shortstop Walter Diaz drew a walk, then classmate Dexter Butler was hit by a pitch and Maruszak drew a walk to load the bases for Taborelli. Taborelli put down a bunt for a single, which scored Diaz and gave USF the 1-0 lead. Taborelli earned his 31st RBI of the season and Diaz scored his 53rd run of the year on the play.  

In the third the Bulls recorded two hits to score their lone run. With one out, Maruszak singled to the right side then stole second base and advanced to third on a ground out by Taborelli. Junior outfielder Joey Angelberger sent a base hit up the middle to score Maruszak and double the Bulls' lead. Angelberger now has 26 RBI and Maruszak has scored 41 runs in 49 games.  

An inning later, USF added another run to the scoreboard after Pardo doubled down the right line, advanced to third after senior Nick Cardieri grounded out to the Pirates' short stop and scored on a SHU passed ball. In the same inning, Diaz was hit by a pitch, USF's 91st of the year.

After four scoreless innings, Taborelli ran out a shot to the Pirate shortstop, then advanced to second as junior Brandin Daniel drew a walk. With two outs and two runners on, sophomore catcher Braulio Pardo recorded a hit with a long fly ball to right center, scoring Taborelli and picking up the Bulls' fourth run of the game.  

Otero's shutout was spoiled in the eighth inning as the Pirates drew a walk, then a double to right field scored their first run of the BIG EAST contest. A single to center scored SHU's second run, but Otero struck out a Pirate batter to end the inning, his fourth K of the night.  

Both teams were held scoreless in the final inning, as only seven batters stepped to the plate in the ninth.  

The Bulls and Pirates will meet at 1 p.m. Saturday afternoon, then at noon on Sunday to round out the three-game BIG EAST series.

Why was our leading RBI man Brandin Daniel batting in the 8 hole tonight?  It doesn't appear that they started a lefty with Consolmagno and Cardieri both in the lineup, but I could be wrong.

I stand corrected.  Seton Hall did start a left handed pitcher, but its still strange for your leading RBI guy to bat in the 8 hole.  Looking at the Pirates' roster, they also have a Bobby Abreu.

• Content Count:  269

You're welcome.   Looks like my source in the stands didn't get all of the baserunners correct, but at least we were able to get the score.   Will try to do so again today.

Guest r_to_the_izzo

I stand corrected.  Seton Hall did start a left handed pitcher, but its still strange for your leading RBI guy to bat in the 8 hole.  Looking at the Pirates' roster, they also have a Bobby Abreu.

Is BD out of his slump? For at least a month, maybe two, I havent seen him hit a ball hard.

Is BD out of his slump? For at least a month, maybe two, I havent seen him hit a ball hard.

I checked his Big East numbers and they aren't pretty.  I think he was batting a hair above the Mendoza line in BE play.  Taborelli is even worse which explains why he is riding pine and Conso is playing.

Archived