• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

• Content Count:  1,991

I just do not understand how a kid could even be considering Towson St when a Big East school is offereing him a schollie

• Content Count:  3,714
  • Days Won:  2

welcome back C Hill

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

On the Cann comment, that is unfortunate that the NCAA would make him sit out the year, even though USF choose not to renew his scholarship.  I can see if he wanted to leave, but it seems if another D-1 school has interest, he should be eligible next year.

On the Cann comment, that is unfortunate that the NCAA would make him sit out the year, even though USF choose not to renew his scholarship.  I can see if he wanted to leave, but it seems if another D-1 school has interest, he should be eligible next year.

From what I understand, it was his choice to play the limited minutes he did last yr, he could have sat out another yr, if he did choose that would he still have to sit out a transfer yr even though he did not play last yr??

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

If you go from one Division I school to another in basketball, you have to sit out a year, unless you can land a hardship waiver like USF has been able to get in football. There's no such hardship for Cann, so if he went to a D-I school, he'd have to sit out a year, with two more to play. By going to Division II, he can play immediately with three years of eligibility.

Had Cann not played at all last season, he could have applied for a sixth year of eligibility (in three years), but those are never anything to be taken for granted. He still would have had to sit out a year after transferring to another Division I school. Remember, you have a five-year window in which you can typically play four seasons.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Yep, I don't like that rule if a guy gets cut from his scholarship.  If another school wants to add him he should be able to play that year.  If you request a transfer, thats one thing, but getting dropped by a school should allow the player to play the following year.  Makes no sense.  It doesn't happen in baseball, why is football and basketball different??  The answer is money.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think Cann did anything wrong in his decision to play last season.  It was the right thing to do.  The previous season... it may have been a bit premature.  Now he is the victim of a crappy circumstance... hopefully he recovers mentally and dominates at DII, or has a successfull career at another DI.  He's a good kid and deserves to have everyone rooting for him.

Yep, I don't like that rule if a guy gets cut from his scholarship.  If another school wants to add him he should be able to play that year.  If you request a transfer, thats one thing, but getting dropped by a school should allow the player to play the following year.  Makes no sense.  It doesn't happen in baseball, why is football and basketball different??  The answer is money.

My understanding the same transfer rule will apply to Baseball begining next yr or the yr after, the change in rule has already been passed.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Unfortunately people abused the rule. They used to allow it, but kids would purposely get their scholarship revoked and then go whereever they want.

Cann might be able to get some type of hardship waiver.

Archived