Volleyball to go on Brazilian tour

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,307
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF

Volleyball Set To Begin Practice For Brazilian Tour

TAMPA, Fla. (May 7, 2007) – The University of South Florida volleyball team is beginning preparations for its first-ever Brazilian Tour May 18-28.

The Bulls will open with a practice session on May 7 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in The Corral. Practice will continue through May 17.  

“This is an opportunity of a lifetime for this team,” coach Claire Lessinger said. “International tours allow teams to bond on a different level, experience international competition and broaden their cultural experiences.  We are very fortunate to tour Brazil, a country that has been very good to the USF volleyball program. We have had a Brazilian on our roster since I can remember. They have all had a significant impact on the success of the USF volleyball program. I look forward to sharing their country and culture with the rest of our team, staff and supporters.”

The USF travel party consists of players from the 2006 squad, coaches, administrators and guests, with departure scheduled May 18 from Tampa. The planning of the trip was guided by Brazil Sports Tours.

“I think this will be a great experience for the team,” volleyball player Kristina Fabris said. “This trip will bring our team closer together, which will only help us for the fall season. It’s going to be a lot of fun. We’ll also get a chance to see where our teammates Marcela and Juliana are from and experience their culture. Our coaches put a lot of time and effort into making this happen for us. I want to thank everyone who helped us raise the money for this once in a lifetime experience.”

Volleyball players Marcela Gurgel and Juliana Nogueira will have the chance to return to their native country. Gurgel, a redshirt freshman who was a first team All-BIG EAST selection in 2006, hails from Fortaleza, Brazil, while Nogueira, who completed her eligibility in 2006, is from Rio de Janeiro.

“Our trip to Brazil will be a great learning opportunity for all of us,” Gurgel said. “I’m very excited about going back to my country because it will give my teammates the chance to learn about my cultural background. This is an exciting and innovative project that will contribute to our growth as a team and individuals. I know that we will face challenging teams that will make us better as volleyball players. The high level of competition will prepare us for our upcoming season.”

Not only will the Bulls have an opportunity to build team chemistry, but it will also provide the team will international game experience. Brazil is known as a hotbed for volleyball, and USF will compete in a total of five friendly matches against top club teams while there.  

“Volleyball is a premier sport in Brazil,” Lessinger said. “Our players will watch, learn and compete against some of the best talent in the country. The timing of this trip is really ideal. The team just wrapped up a very successful spring season. We have five freshmen playing significant roles and getting full-time playing experience, not to mention our three upperclassmen, who are leading and playing at an elite level. We basically get to extend our spring season with a trip that includes competition, touring, bonding and memories. This positive experience will carry over into our upcoming fall season.”

USF will start its Brazilian tour in Rio de Janeiro, staying in the city for about three days. Some of the sites the team will see are the Sugarloaf Mountain, Flamengo Beach and the famous statue of Jesus, the Corcovado Statue. USF will also tour the Brazilian National Team Training Center and will play a friendly match against the junior national team.    

On May 22, the travel party will start to make its way Sao Paulo. A stop will be made in the historic, colonial town of Parati for lunch. The party will then travel to the island of Illhabela, which is a rain forest ecological reserve. While there, they will visit the beaches and tour a waterfall called Toca, which is secluded and surrounded by nature.  

From May 25-28, the party will stay in Sao Paulo and will visit Imbu, an outside market, and Ibirapuera Park, which is similar to Central Park in New York City.  USF will also have the opportunity to visit a local orphanage and spend some time with the children there.  

“This is a very special group of young women that personally helped earn this amazing opportunity,” Lessinger said. “The USF volleyball program raised all of the funds necessary to commit to the tour. I am very grateful to all our supporters that donated to our ‘Bulls to Brazil’ campaign. Through our annual golf tournament as well as annual giving, we raised $33,000. The eleven players traveling earned this trip through hard work, commitment and dedication. I am so proud of all of them and I can't wait to experience this opportunity with them.”

Fans can follow the USF volleyball team’s trip to Brazil by logging onto www.GoUSFBulls.com. The Bulls will keep a blog during their travels, which will also include photo galleries.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

isn't this how ET met his wife??   ;D

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,944
  • Days Won:  436

My daughter's going through a skills mini camp with them right now. They're doing a great job and the kids are having a great time. We'll probably be going to some games this year...

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

anyone here playing in the volleyball fundraiser scramble on friday at the Claw?

• Content Count:  866
  • Days Won:  0

I told one of our players as much as Velcro and I have contributed to this Brazil trip through our collective efforts of playing in this tournament every year, the least we could get is a lousy T-Shirt from south of the equator!

And I JUST got a text message telling me I have one spot in my foursome, so if anyone would like to play with a lousy golfer who can probably out drink you... send me a private message.  As Velcro and I can attest, for sure the most fun you can have at a golf tournament.  There's a shuttle bus picking people up from the tournament and taking them to McDinton's following our dinner in the facility afterwards, and you can shower in the locker room in the facility.  

The USF Volleyball Golf Tournament:  Amateur Golfers, Professional Drinkers.

• Content Count:  928
  • Days Won:  0

Think they'll recruit me for this?

I'm 6'1" and play like a girl!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,262
  • Days Won:  29

isn't this how ET met his wife??   ;D

Well ... I did meet her at an orphanage, mabe the same one they are visiting ... ca't remember the name. But my wife isn't athletic ... because I was able to chase her down  ;D

This is an awesome opportunity.

Think I will have to become a booster of the volleyball team and women's bball . . .  :GoBulls

thumbup.gif This is all the ladies will need to know ... it's a national jester!

I will see if my wife an daughter can make an appearance!

Vai Tauros !

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,262
  • Days Won:  29

Courtesy USF

Volleyball Set To Begin Practice For Brazilian Tour

Volleyball players Marcela Gurgel and Juliana Nogueira will have the chance to return to their native country. Gurgel, a redshirt freshman who was a first team All-BIG EAST selection in 2006, hails from Fortaleza, Brazil, while Nogueira, who completed her eligibility in 2006, is from Rio de Janeiro.

Most know about Rio de Janeiro ... Fortaleza is a beautiful area in NE Brasil, caribbean colored water and warm ... and dunes are along the state of Ceara.

Not only will the Bulls have an opportunity to build team chemistry, but it will also provide the team will international game experience. Brazil is known as a hotbed for volleyball, and USF will compete in a total of five friendly matches against top club teams while there.  

... USF will also tour the Brazilian National Team Training Center and will play a friendly match against the junior national team.

Spoke with the Mrs and she and little MG will try to watch the matches in Rio ... my wife LOVES volleyball.

Fans can follow the USF volleyball team’s trip to Brazil by logging onto www.GoUSFBulls.com. The Bulls will keep a blog during their travels, which will also include photo galleries.

thumbup.gif  :GoBulls

• Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Last time a USF team went overseas, the coach lost his job a year later... hope the trip pays dividends with either some stud recruits or some W's during the regular season... or Claire might meet the same fate as RMC. I want to see our girls back in their glory days when I first arrived at school... I remember the trips to Gainesville. Those were the days! We were competitive. Come on Claire... get these girls going!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

Very fun day today... girls raised a ton of money for their trip... and everyone had a good time.

Congrats to Collin for dethrowning me (with my own driver no less, that i let him borrow before the round) in the long drive competition.  But there is a huge disclaimer... as they put the long drive on a hole that couldn't contain me.  I drove it OVER the green on #2 at the Claw by 10 yards...which technically, doesn't count as being in the fairway.   Colllin had his meesley 310 yard short (40 yards short of the pin) take the title.  (yep, sour grapes).

Very Good day indeed.  Course was in horrible shape.  As bad as it  has ever been in since i first played it in 1996.

Hope the girls have a blast in Brazil.  They were tremendous hosts for this event.

Archived