Heiar staying at Chipola ......

South_Florida_Flip

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Per Greg's Blog. http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/

Hope it was a better recruiting weekend.

• Content Count:  5,881

bad move for him. he will be nothing more than a junior college coach for the rest of his career

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

maybe it is because we aren't goin to sign heiar's player.  Maybe we made good progress on all the big men on campus including Nweke.

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

this is very surprising.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Maybe Heair and Dubovitsky go to Iowa.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Before coming to Chipola, Heiar spent four seasons as an assistant at Loras College in Iowa. He served as a recruiting coordinator and specialized in team defense and individual improvement. He also was an assistant coach at Franciscan University in Iowa in 1999.

Heiar’s successful playing career began in Iowa at Dubuque Wahlert High School where he was a second-team all-state selection. At Kirkwood Community College, he earned second-team All-Region honors after leading his team to the National Tournament for the first time in school history. Heiar helped to guide his team to a conference championship and an overall 25-10 record. He also was captain of Chris Jans’ first team at Kirkwood.

http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/basketball/GHeiar.htm

and

Lickliter looks to bolster roster

By Pat Harty

Iowa City Press-Citizen

New Iowa men's basketball coach Todd Lickliter has finished hiring his assistant coaches, but he hasn't finished recruiting for this spring.

Iowa is among the schools recruiting Victor Dubovitsky, a 6-foot-7, 215-pound small forward from Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Fla.

Dubovitsky, a native of Moscow, Russia, signed with Texas A&M under coach Billy Gillispie but was released from his scholarship after Gillispie resigned to become the coach at Kentucky.

Dubovitsky averaged 15.5 points and six rebounds per game while leading Chipola to a 33-3 record and to the NJCAA championship game this past season.

He transferred to Chipola after averaging 13.7 points and nearly five rebounds per game at Salt Lake Community College in Utah.

"He's got skills," recruiting analyst Van Coleman said of Dubovitsky. "He can step out and really shoot the ball for a guy his size."

Dubovitsky shot about 40 percent from 3-point range against junior-college competition. His ability to shoot from the perimeter could fit nicely in Lickliter's system, which emphasizes the 3-point shot.

"One of the reasons they're interested in him is because he would give them a difference-maker type of player," Coleman said. "He could really make a difference in them becoming a good ball club next year."

The other schools recruiting Dubovitsky include Clemson, Florida State, UNLV, St. John's and Kansas State, among others.

Dubovitsky's coach at Chipola is Iowa native Greg Heiar. Coleman isn't sure if having an Iowa connection will help the Hawkeyes land Dubovitsky.

"It doesn't hurt them, I know that," Coleman said. "What it does is get them in the door. But then you have to sell your program."

Iowa already has signed three high school seniors to national letters of intent.

Jeff Peterson, a 6-0 point guard from perennial power DeMatha High School in Hyattsville, Md., signed with Iowa less than two weeks ago, becoming Lickliter's first recruit.

Jarryd Cole, a 6-7 forward from Kansas City, Mo., and Jake Kelly, a 6-6 wingman from Carmel, Ind., signed with Iowa in November. They both have reaffirmed their commitments after Lickliter replaced Steve Alford as the Iowa head coach.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070501/HAWKS0102/705010316/1053/HAWKS

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

embarrasing for heath and usf

• Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

small loss

we need the bigs

hold your schollies tight you have a young team unless you can "convince" a few to leave

• Content Count:  10,565

maybe it is because we aren't goin to sign heiar's player.  Maybe we made good progress on all the big men on campus including Nweke.

I find that a bit hard to believe since Heiar came in before the weekend's recruits.

Guest BasketBull.

The man turned down approximately 40K more in salary and a chance to coach in the Big East, not to mention living in Tampa.

I see this as a positive for USF: We don't need anyone who can't step up to the plate and grab a great opportunity.

Best of luck to him but USF CAN AND WILL DO BETTER.

Archived