NCAA report: Money counts in academic performance

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

NCAA report: Money counts in academic performance

The NCAA's latest academic progress report shows money pays off in the classroom, not just on the playing field.

By GREG AUMAN

Published May 3, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA's latest academic progress report shows money pays off in the classroom, not just on the playing field.

Athletic programs with the biggest budgets, such as the six BCS conferences, scored well on the latest Academic Progress Report, released Wednesday. Those with less money did not.

USF had three teams fall under the NCAA's threshold score of 925. Football, which was at 921 last year, dropped to 910, and men's basketball, which was at 893 last year, rose to 898. Volleyball, at 935 last year, dropped to 914 and fell into the bottom 10 percent among volleyball teams nationally. All three teams fall within the "squad-size adjustment, " though that cushion will not be there next year, when the data is from a full four-year period.

Three USF teams - men's and women's golf and men's cross country - posted perfect scores of 1, 000, and softball had 995. In all, nine of USF's 17 teams had lower scores than a year ago, but no teams face any NCAA sanctions.

Among the hardest-hit schools were those in the Hurricane Katrina region and predominantly black colleges. Teams at historically black colleges and universities accounted for about 13 percent of schools facing punishment for classroom performance, and 13 of 49 schools receiving warning letters came from Louisiana.

Prominent programs cited were Arizona's football team and the men's basketball teams at Cincinnati and Iowa State. Florida International could lose up to nine football scholarships.

Josh Julmiste goes to B-CC

TAMPA -- Former USF defensive end Josh Julmiste, dismissed from the Bulls in February after numerous off-field problems, is transferring to Division I-AA Bethune-Cookman.

B-CC confirmed Wednesday that Julmiste was expected to transfer and would have two years of eligibility, assuming he is academically qualified to play this fall. According to USF's registrar's office, Julmiste went from being a full-time student to taking seven credit hours in March.

Julmiste would be the sixth USF defensive player to transfer to B-CC in the past two years. Defensive lineman Ramon McCollough and linebackers Josh Balloon and Ronnie McCullough played for the Wildcats last season, and twin cornerbacks Antwane and Antonio Cox are expected to transfer there this summer

BASEBALL: USF junior shortstop Walter Diaz is among 112 candidates for player of the year. He is batting .377.

Visit Greg's blog.

[edit]modified by Bulliever to add link back to Greg's Blog[/edit]

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

Moderator note: Cubanbull's question was addressed in two other threads.  You can rest now.

He is also a pretty good reader.

Archived