APR headlines pouring out...yikes...

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Guys, both papers have extensive APR news on the blogs. There are space constraints in what gets into the papers. It's not about positive or negative, it's about whether something is newsworthy. Only 11 percent of schools had any kind of penalty, so writing that USF is in the other 89 percent isn't worth that big of a headline.

I posted something on the blog Monday writing at length about where USF ranked in the teams from the top 10 percent, and posted a note Tuesday that said USF would be facing no penalty. I think that's significantly more than most papers did for their colleges. Seriously, pick your battles ...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

But If im not mistaken next year there wil be no exceptions for squad size.

So we could be penalized in football and basketball if it doesnt go over 925

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Guys, both papers have extensive APR news on the blogs. There are space constraints in what gets into the papers. It's not about positive or negative, it's about whether something is newsworthy. Only 11 percent of schools had any kind of penalty, so writing that USF is in the other 89 percent isn't worth that big of a headline.

I posted something on the blog Monday writing at length about where USF ranked in the teams from the top 10 percent, and posted a note Tuesday that said USF would be facing no penalty. I think that's significantly more than most papers did for their colleges. Seriously, pick your battles ...

There are a number of schools that had no findings that found space in the online edition of the newspaper.  The OSU sample was just one.  

I think USF fans should demand coverage and not simply accept what they are given.  So while I greatly appreciate the work that you do, I see nothing wrong with wishing to have the highest levels of coverage.  It's not a reflection on you.  In fact your blog is one of the most informative resources available - we just need to see it taken mainstream in the old fishwrap and the online version of the wrap.

But If im not mistaken next year there wil be no exceptions for squad size.

So we could be penalized in football and basketball if it doesnt go over 925

That would make the paper.

Here is some info:

NCAA Backgrounder on Squad-Size Adjustments

The Academic Progress Rate (APR) is a key measure used to identify both high and low academic performing teams in the Division I Academic Performance Program (APP). Intended as a four-year rate of measure, the first full four-year data set will include academic years 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, and 2006-07.

Because the four-year data aren't available yet, the APP will apply a squad size adjustment to team APRs for the purposes of applying penalties. The adjustment helps ensure that low-performing teams are accurately identified given the smaller than intended data set (i.e. less than four years).

While the NCAA is working toward a rolling four-year APR for each team, the adjustment will prevent some teams from being unfairly assessed a penalty in the short term.

The three-year data set being released in May will have some teams below 925, a rate that subjects teams to possible immediate penalties. Treating the squad-size adjustment as a safety net and not using a score below 925 as a signal for immediate academic reform may result in more serious penalties when the squad-size adjustment is discontinued in 2007-08.

Teams with an APR below 925 should not look at the adjustment as a safety net. These teams should be considered academically at risk, and they should be the subject of active review by the institution in determining steps to improve academic performance.

As such, the Division I Committee on Academic Performance requires that institutions with teams below 925 develop and implement an academic improvement plan for these teams.

Historical penalties are designed to be more punitive than immediate penalties. Penalties will include additional scholarship reductions, practice restrictions, lack of access to postseason competition, and restricted membership.

Elimination of the squad-size adjustment will begin with the 2007-08 APR reports for any team with an aggregate cohort of 30 or more student-athletes.

Link

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

coach3.jpg

he couldnt do better than this chubby girl???

Beer goggles.

• Content Count:  5,691
  • Days Won:  0

I agree, i think you do a good job covering the Bulls. However, as a Big East team in a decent sized market we should demand more coverage.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

There are a number of schools that had no findings that found space in the online edition of the newspaper.  The OSU sample was just one.  

I think USF fans should demand coverage and not simply accept what they are given.  So while I greatly appreciate the work that you do, I see nothing wrong with wishing to have the highest levels of coverage.  It's not a reflection on you.  In fact your blog is one of the most informative resources available - we just need to see it taken mainstream in the old fishwrap and the online version of the wrap.

I do understand Greg's "pick your battles" comment because this isn't that big of a deal overall but I can see the frustration on this side, too. There was room in today's print edition for a paragraph or two about a coach we DIDN'T hire from CSH's old team but not enough room for just a blurb about the APR's.

• Content Count:  12,293

:yawn:

• Content Count:  10,219

we can and will do better.

ncaa expectations are slightly unrealistic, IMO.

what is the gradrate of the general population of freshmen who enter?

Archived