• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

ec_logo.gif

South Florida coach offers Chipola’s Heiar position

By Josh Weinfuss / News Herald Writer 747-5069 / jweinfuss@pcnh.com

MARIANNA

Chipola men’s basketball coach Greg Heiar said Sunday that he was offered an assistant coaching position by new South Florida coach Stan Heath last week.

Heiar said Sunday he is leaning toward staying in Marianna.

On Thursday, Heiar and his family will travel to Tampa to visit South Florida and meet with Heath. Heiar said he will make a decision by the end of the weekend.

“It’s an opportunity for myself and my family that we have to take a look at,” he said. “I couldn’t be at a better place than Chipola.”

The offer came while Heath recruited Indians forward Victor Dubovitsky, who was released from his letter of intent to Texas A&M after its coach, Billy Gillespie, was hired by Kentucky.

Earlier this year, Heiar led the Indians to the NJCAA national championship game where they lost to Midland College 94-75.

During his three-year tenure at Chipola, Heiar has a 95-11 record and a history of sending players to Division I teams, including potentially four from this year’s team. Jamarcus Ellis and DeAndre Thomas signed with Indiana, Johnnie Harris signed with New Mexico, and Dubovitsky is being recruited again.

Heiar said Dubovitsky hasn’t chosen a new school. He’s being recruited by South Florida, Iowa, Kansas State, St. John’s, Florida State, Clemson and Oregon. He wanted to play for Gillespie at Kentucky, but an SEC rule prohibits a junior college player without three consecutive semesters at one school to sign a scholarship. Dubovitsky played last year at Salt Lake City Community College.

Heiar said his ultimate goal is to be a Division I head coach, but that it’s difficult to jump from the junior college ranks to the top level of college basketball. He turned down other offers to coach at a higher level.

“I don’t want to leave Chipola really,” Heiar said. “Chipola is a great place.”

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,981
  • Days Won:  0

ec_logo.gif

South Florida coach offers Chipola’s Heiar position

By Josh Weinfuss / News Herald Writer 747-5069 / jweinfuss@pcnh.com

MARIANNA

Heiar said his ultimate goal is to be a Division I head coach, but that it’s difficult to jump from the junior college ranks to the top level of college basketball. He turned down other offers to coach at a higher level.

“I don’t want to leave Chipola really,†Heiar said. “Chipola is a great place.â€Â

Link

So he wants to be a Division I coach but yet he doesn't want to leave Chipola in order to work his way up?

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

embarassing to heath

that a jc coach is thinking about coming

i would have pulled offer if he didnt say say immediately

• Content Count:  2,523

My wife is from Marianna and until you've been there, it's hard to get the mentality that is there.  It's a small town where you can't go anywhere without people recognizing you and if you're doing well there, you'll achieve a sort of celebrity status.  Plus, the cost of living there is low yet nice if that makes sense.  You're only an hour from Panama City Beach and he'll never be fired there.

Job security is a big deal to some folks so it's not necessarily a reflection on Heath.  Anyone who thinks that probably is still in school or hasn't to provide for a family or have been put in a position like this before.

• Content Count:  10,219

this is a two-fer

hope the kid comes!

• Content Count:  1,981

My wife is from Marianna and until you've been there, it's hard to get the mentality that is there.  It's a small town where you can't go anywhere without people recognizing you and if you're doing well there, you'll achieve a sort of celebrity status.  Plus, the cost of living there is low yet nice if that makes sense.  You're only an hour from Panama City Beach and he'll never be fired there.

Job security is a big deal to some folks so it's not necessarily a reflection on Heath.  Anyone who thinks that probably is still in school or hasn't to provide for a family or have been put in a position like this before.

I can understand that but he is saying that he wants to be a Division 1 school coach eventually. He can't do that by staying there all his life.

• Content Count:  63

What he is saying publicly and his true feelings may be two different things. Until he commits he has to continue say positive things about his current job in case he returns. Now, if he rejects the offer after getting the Heath sales job this weekend, that will be a horse of a different color (I thought being from the panhandle myself that the horse analogy was appropriate).

• Content Count:  2,523

Funny TK.  Sometimes people like this may have dreams about doing something, but never take the steps to actually make it happen bc they won't leave their comfort zone.  There's a lot of bad D1 programs where if he keeps piling up the record he may get a shot from someone, though not likely like you said Don Toro.  My brother in law is coming over this weekend, he played baseball at Chipola so I'll see if he knows anything about this guy.

oh please!!!!!!!!!!

he isnt serious about being a bigtime coach if he hesitates leaving panama city

What he is saying publicly and his true feelings may be two different things. Until he commits he has to continue say positive things about his current job in case he returns. Now, if he rejects the offer after getting the Heath sales job this weekend, that will be a horse of a different color (I thought being from the panhandle myself that the horse analogy was appropriate).

he shouldnt say anything,keep his mouth shut until he makes a decision

Archived