Efforts to establish a Big East men's lacrosse con

TyBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  0

http://laxmagazine.cstv.com/sports/m-lacros/spec-rel/043007aac.html

Efforts to establish a Big East men's lacrosse conference contingent upon Syracuse, readiness of other member institutions

April 30, 2007

by Matt DaSilva, Lacrosse Magazine Online Staff

There are two lacrosse teams at Syracuse University. One is headed to the NCAA tournament, conference title in hand. The other? Done.

It makes you wonder: what if there were a Big East men's lacrosse conference?

There was upheaval in Big East women's lacrosse this weekend, as annual conference bridesmaid Syracuse took it to Georgetown in the Carrier Dome in the conference championship game Sunday, ending the Hoyas' five-year reign. (This, after Notre Dame snapped Georgetown's 37-game conference winning streak during the regular season. Not to mention the comings of age of Rutgers and Connecticut.)

Meanwhile, Syracuse's loss to Massachusetts in men's lacrosse meant the Orange - winner of more NCAA championships than any other Division I school - would not be eligible for the NCAA tournament for the first time in 25 years.

It could have been different.

For two years, there has been discussion among member schools and coaches of getting men's lacrosse under the Big East conference umbrella, both for the sake of the schools involved and for the influence it might wield with the NCAA in promoting much-needed growth of the sport at the Division I level.

Establishing the Big East as a men's lacrosse conference, however, hinges on Syracuse, which heretofore has not budged in upholding its status as an independent, which it shares with Johns Hopkins, the only other non-affiliated program in Division I.

Notre Dame coach Kevin Corrigan, who has spearheaded the discussion, can understand why Syracuse would not be in favor of a Big East men's lacrosse conference. He works for an institution that maintains its independence as a Division I-A football entity despite external pressures to do otherwise.

"At this point, Syracuse has been reluctant to give up their independence, and if somebody at Notre Dame can't understand that, then you're not trying very hard," said Corrigan, whose No.11-ranked Irish secured the GWLL title and automatic bid Saturday with a win at Ohio State. "All the arguments they have and might make are arguments we've had on the football side of the equation...but I hope in time they come to think differently of it."

Among Big East member institutions currently sponsoring men's lacrosse (with current conference affiliations) are Georgetown (ECAC), Notre Dame (GWLL), Providence (MAAC), Rutgers (ECAC), St. John's (ECAC), Syracuse (independent) and Villanova (CAA). Six are needed for a conference and automatic qualifier, Corrigan said, and four are already in the fold.

"Georgetown, Notre Dame, Rutgers and St. John's are all ready, willing and able. Syracuse is able and ready, but not willing. Villanova and Providence are probably willing, but unable at this point," Corrigan said, "because one of the things that come with Big East [affiliation] are minimums - full-time coaching staff, scholarships, facilities. They probably meet some of them, but not all of them. It requires a commitment from these administrations towards doing something more."

While associate members could possibly fill out the conference, "I think there's a reluctance for any of us to want to do it without Syracuse," Corrigan said.

Having a BCS conference support men's lacrosse and foster natural rivalries along conference lines, Corrigan argued, could help spur the movement in Division I, which has grown stagnant due to gender equity issues.

"I think we're at a pretty critical point in the growth of our sport. With everything else going on with the increased visibility of our sport and increased participation on all other lines, the one area the game is not growing is in Division I lacrosse, and we all know the reasons for that," Corrigan said. "One of the developmental things that needs to happen in our sport is having the major conferences involved."

• Content Count:  6,929

Is USF interested?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I bet "no".

• Content Count:  1,479

I didnt read the whole story, just scanning I didnt see it, but USF does have mens and womens lacrosse that competes on a club level, same with bowling being on the club level.  

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

with title 9 i dont think usf could have another's men's team

mazza was a member of the club back in the day

what a fun sport

• Content Count:  2,726

but if we have a womens and a mens...couldnt we have both join?!?!?!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Depends, you can meet Title IX three ways, many big schools use standard proportionality to boys/girls in school.

Adding another male sport is tough.

I'd be shocked if it ever happened without adding at least 2 female sports.

• Content Count:  2,726

why two?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Football kills mens sports, because it has such a high number of scholarships. Not sure USF is where they need to be just yet for Title IX, my guess is you won't see many mens sports added for a little while.

"Georgetown, Notre Dame, Rutgers and St. John's are all ready, willing and able. Syracuse is able and ready, but not willing. Villanova and Providence are probably willing, but unable at this point," Corrigan said, "because [highlight]one of the things that come with Big East [affiliation] are minimums - full-time coaching staff, scholarships, facilities[/highlight]. They probably meet some of them, but not all of them. It requires a commitment from these administrations towards doing something more."

This would probably be a bigger part of the reason USF isn't interested at this point...

Here would be my dream additions to USF sports:

Mens:

Lacrosse

Ice Hockey

Swimming

Womens:

Lacrosse

Ice Hockey

Swimming

Gymnastics

Bowling*

Rowing*