Softball Sweeps UCONN in home finale

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

Bulls Sweep Connecticut In Home Finale; Win Sixth-Straight Game

TAMPA, Fla. (April 29, 2007) – On senior day and its home finale, the University of South Florida softball team swept its third-straight BIG EAST opponent, defeating Connecticut, 3-1, 8-3, on Sunday afternoon at the USF Softball Field.  

Prior to the start of game one, seniors Danielle Urbanik, Meghan Kowal and Kasey Cash were honored for their contributions and achievements as Bulls.

In game one, sophomore Cristi Ecks (10-6) pitched a three-hitter, complete game with nine strikeouts and no walks. The one run allowed in the game was unearned. Freshman Kristen Gordon (12-6) won game two, allowing three runs on eight hits with nine Ks in six and two-thirds innings.

On the day, Caitlin Schneider led all USF players with an average of .500. Schneider also tied Courtney Mosch, Britta Giddens and Lauren Rodriguez with a team-best two RBI.

USF (39-21, 11-5 BIG EAST) didn’t waste any time getting on the board and took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning in game one. Tara Toscano singled and Kit Dunbar followed with a walk. With two outs, Toscano scored off Urbanik’s single through the left side.  

In the fourth inning, the Bulls offense added two more runs to their lead, 3-0. With runners on second and third, Giddens hit a bases-clearing double to deep left field.

Connecticut (22-20, 10-9 BIG EAST) ended the USF shutout in the top of the fifth inning, scoring a run off an error. Threatening to add more runs with runners at second and third and one out, Ecks ended UConn’s chances by retiring consecutive batters on strikeouts.

In game two, the USF offense surged in the bottom of the first inning to take a four-run lead. A hit by pitch and two walks loaded the bases for the Bulls. After UConn got two quick outs, Mosch doubled in two runs with a flare to right field. Liz Howell drew another walk to load the bases, and Schneider ended the scoring with a two-RBI single.

After the Huskies put a run on the board in the second inning, the Bulls’ offense exploded for four more runs, taking an 8-1 lead. With two outs and the bases loaded, Rodriguez singled up the middle, driving in two. A throwing error by the third baseman on a grounder by Giddens allowed two more USF runners to touch home.

In the seventh inning, UConn’s offense tried to mount a two-out rally and scored two runs off two doubles. Gordon was pulled in favor of reliever Bree Spence, who ended the scoring opportunity by striking out the final batter of the game.

USF will wrap up regular season action when it travels to play St. John’s on Saturday and Seton Hall on Sunday.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

WTG!!!! Get that softball facilty built ASAP!!!!

• Content Count:  2,726
  • Days Won:  0

Softball Facility?  Wait a tick...just exactly what are the "improvements" in the works for our Athletics Dept?!?!?! I've heard new Baseball Stadium, dining hall, Basketball Practice Facility, Softball Stadium?, and some other hersey too...

Will someone please let us know just EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON!  Whatever it is...I STILL CAN'T WAIT!!!

GO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  3,574

Softball Facility?  Wait a tick...just exactly what are the "improvements" in the works for our Athletics Dept?!?!?! I've heard new Baseball Stadium, dining hall, Basketball Practice Facility, Softball Stadium?, and some other hersey too...

Will someone please let us know just EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON!  Whatever it is...I STILL CAN'T WAIT!!!

GO BULLS!!!

There was a donation last summer for a Softball stadium and new practice fields for Football.

The softball stadium should be the first one built.

• Content Count:  4,879

It pretty much has to be built before the football practice fields, as they will go where the current softball field is.

Next to be built because funding is in place is improved track/field facilities.

Pony up some BIG BUCK$ and it will all get done sooner.

Archived