Fee hikes likely at prestigious big three campuses

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Days Won:  13

From the Miami Herald ... gotta like being called part of the "Big Three"...

Fee hikes likely at prestigious big three campuses

Tuition rates could soon increase sharply at three state universities under a bill the state Senate passed.

BY STEPHANIE GARRY

sgarry@MiamiHerald.com

TALLAHASSEE --

Students headed to three of Florida's largest, most prestigious universities this fall could face an additional tuition charge of about $180 a year that wouldn't be covered by Bright Futures scholarships under a plan the state Senate approved in a 28-10 vote.

The legislation would mark the first time since the popular program was established that students feel the impact of a tuition increase without the shield of Bright Futures.

The extra tuition would be charged at the University of Florida, Florida State University and the University of South Florida. The three universities would be allowed to raise tuition by 10 percent this fall above the Legislature's expected hike of 5 percent.

Universities could continue the tuition increases until they reach 40 percent of the base tuition, but no faster than 15 percent a year.

Last year, the Legislature established tiers that classify universities based on their research and academic quality. The bill that passed Friday uses those classifications to determine who can charge more: top schools, which now includes UF and FSU, could assess an extra charge up to 40 percent of the base tuition. The second level can charge up to 30 percent of tuition. That now includes just USF, but may soon apply to the University of Central Florida and Florida International University.

Read more...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,675
  • Days Won:  13

USF > UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

keep increasing tuition

• Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Students headed to three of Florida's largest, most prestigious universities this fall

Let that sink in UCFers.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^Haha,

I hope this gets passed, not convinced yet because their will be some stink. Many people feel the tier system should (and has) worked itself out.

I guess we'll find out soon.

• Content Count:  1,812

Hope it passes; who cares about UCiF. We should be comparing ourselves to the winners if we want to be one.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I don't know, that article said we are not the top level, but the second.  I don't like USF being classed a second tier university in the state.

I don't know, that article said we are not the top level, but the second.  I don't like USF being classed a second tier university in the state.

It's based on how many Doctoral level degrees we provide every years... (not including medical or JD programs).

UF & FSU turn out more than the 250 required each year to be Level I.

This is the actual section of Florida Statutes the bill uses to distinguish between Level 1 and Level 2 schools:

1004.635  State University System Research and Economic Development Investment Program.--

(1)  LEGISLATIVE INTENT.--It is the intent of the Legislature to create an investment program in state universities that enhances graduate education and enables state universities to become nationally competitive in science and technology-based economic development.

(2)  GENERAL PROVISIONS.--There is created the State University System Research and Economic Development Investment Program to provide matching funds to eligible institutions to construct and acquire cutting-edge, state-of-the-art science and engineering research facilities and specialized equipment to support research programs, foster economic development, and accelerate Florida's innovation economy. The program shall be administered by the Board of Governors of the State University System.

(3)  INSTITUTIONAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA.--

(a)  To be eligible to participate in the State University System Research and Economic Development Investment Program at Funding Level 1, a state university must meet each of the following criteria:

1.  The number of nonprofessional doctoral degrees awarded each year must exceed 250. For purposes of this section, nonprofessional doctoral degrees do not include degrees awarded in law, medicine, dentistry, and veterinary medicine. At least 25 percent of the nonprofessional doctoral degrees must be in a mathematics, science, technology, engineering, or health-related discipline as defined by Classification of Instructional Program codes.

2.  The number of postdoctoral appointees reported in the most recent NSF/NIH Survey of Graduate Students and Postdoctorates in Science and Engineering must exceed 200.

3.  The 4-year undergraduate graduation rate must equal 40 percent or higher.

4.  Expenditures from externally awarded contracts and grants must be a minimum of $100 million per year.

5.  The university must have a proven track record of securing patents and licenses leading to products in the marketplace over the last 5 years.

6.  At least 75 percent of the entering freshmen each academic year who are classified as residents for tuition purposes pursuant to s. 1009.21 must be eligible to receive Florida Bright Futures Scholarships.

7.  The Basic Classification of the university, according to the 2005 Carnegie Classifications, must be as a research university with very high research activity.

(B)  To be eligible to participate in the State University System Research and Economic Development Investment Program at Funding Level 2, a state university must meet, at a minimum, the requirements of subparagraphs (a)4. and 7.

The Board of Governors shall develop uniform guidelines, definitions, and reporting formats for a university to use to demonstrate that it meets each of the criteria described in this subsection. The Board of Governors shall determine the eligibility status of a state university to participate in the program provided that a state university may not participate in both Funding Level 1 and Funding Level 2 simultaneously.

(4)  USE OF FUNDS.--Funds appropriated for the State University System Research and Economic Development Investment Program shall be used by the Board of Governors to match funds raised by an eligible university from nonuniversity sources on a one-time dollar-for-dollar basis.

• Content Count:  3,574

It's based on how many Doctoral level degrees we provide every years... (not including medical or JD programs).

UF & FSU turn out more than the 250 required each year to be Level I.

Correct...

namuh-bull, it's not calling us out as "USF being classed a second tier university in the state."

It's more of us being classified as "Funding level 2"... like Jim mentioned.  This is great news and you can't expect a school that is 100 years younger to be up to the UF/FSU level.

Archived