How many speeding tickets . . .

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

I think those that know how, can look back on past posts where it was known Matt was bartending ... now worries then.

Big Bubbles - No Troubles

:P

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I missed those posts...had I seen them, I might have stopped in at the Bulls Ring and joined the other three people there (not counting cops, of course).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

Is the owner a booster?

If he's ever bought a ticket to any USF athletic event (making a financial contribution) Yes. The NCAA doesn't really discriminate against different booster levels, etc. They have one defintion.

What will alert the NCAA more is the fact that the name of the bar is the "Bull Ring" a bar whose name is correlated with our athletic department.

C'mon, Joe, using the term "booster" as you did is painting a picture of more than someone who has just bought a ticket to a USF game... and I'd be willing to bet the NCAA would treat a big money "booster" different than some shmuck who just buys tickets to games .... and the only reason I'm pointing that out is because that's how false info, which him being a booster may or may not be, gets its' start.

Do we know for sure that no one in the USF AD knew about the job? I realize you put "allegedly" but keep repeating that no one knew and it becomes "fact", whether it is or not...

What alerts me is that they would let him bartend at a local bar named the Bull Ring. Greg said it was not a long stay, so I'm not sure he told the athletic department yet. He might have been waiting for summer paper turn in, in which many Student Athletes turn in their plans for the summer to the school. Whether its work camps for the coaches or pull a tractor for their father you are supossed to alert the school of any job you take, along with compensation.

I am not sure of the ins and outs of the USF Compliance Dept. but in my expiriences it has worked like this.

Bottom line is we really don't know for sure if the AD knew about it or not... You stated different ... Again, I mention for the above reason.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

C'mon, Joe, using the term "booster" as you did is painting a picture of more than someone who has just bought a ticket to a USF game... and I'd be willing to bet the NCAA would treat a big money "booster" different than some shmuck who just buys tickets to games .... and the only reason I'm pointing that out is because that's how false info, which him being a booster may or may not be, gets its' start.

No, they don't if you don't believe me read the defintion. NCAA Bylaws Rule 13.01.13; the reason you hear the big level boosters getting nailed more, it's because they are the ones with the money and ability to break the major rules regarding student athletes. But from a punishment aspect the NCAA treats all boosters the same. Whether they are former athletes, a high level bootser, or someone who paid their $40 a year to be a minimum athletic booster.

Most importantly, the NCAA has held that you are a booster if "Be assisting or to have assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student-athletes or their families" which has been interpreted to include provided or helped arrange employment for a student-athlete.

So yes,  someone who started a restaurant named the Bull Ring and employed a student athlete qualifies as a booster in SOME form.

Bottom line is we really don't know for sure if the AD knew about it or not... You stated different ... Again, I mention for the above reason.

If it happened I am shocked that the athletic department would approve a Freshman All American QB to work in a bar environment at a place that palms off of USF to sell its product. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think too many institutions would approve this.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

So yes,  someone who started a restaurant named the Bull Ring and employed a student athlete qualifies as a booster in SOME form.

The current owner didn't start the restaurant named the Bull Ring. See what I mean, Joe .....  ;)

If it happened I am shocked that the athletic department would approve a Freshman All American QB to work in a bar environment at a place that palms off of USF to sell its product. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think too many institutions would approve this.

I'm mildy surprised they would approve it but maybe they had trust in Matt not do anything stupid, as far as NCAA rules go ... bottom line, though, is we don't know if they knew or not.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

The current owner didn't start the restaurant named the Bull Ring. See what I mean, Joe .....  ;)

No but he employed a student athlete, which falls under the definition of booster.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

can we please stop the new topics with the same purpose.

just let this topic die.

its such a non-issue.

Archived