• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

That is true, I brought that up yesterday

Was this a ONE night thing?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Wasn't a one-night thing, but it was fairly close.

Guest JulmisteForPrez
I expect the Bull Ring to be shut down soon.  There is no way they can rebound from this.

Good.  Hope you're right.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Big deal... this story is so overblown. I hope the "cop wanna-be" girl gets a nasty STD for trying to bring down the program. This is pure entrapment.

I still like you though Gene Haines... just not sleazy ho scumbags like this chick! You always gave me and my boys sound advice when you saw us out drinking.

It was not a girl wannabe cop.  It was a guy wanna be cop.

• Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,527

A few questions:

Does the athletic department give a seminar to the kids on not only what is legally allowed by the NCAA, but also what is discouraged by the school or, as the article states, by the NCAA, that may give even a hint of impropriety?

Yes schools are supossed to per NCAA, they sign several papers each year in accordance with this.

The law is the law, but this is a pretty stupid offense.

Why is everyone saying this is stupid? Because it was Matt Grothe? Take the Green and Gold glasses off and look at the potential consequences of an underage kid drinking, getting into a wreck and harming themselves or others.

1) Matt and the Bull Ring would be criminally liable

2) Matt and the Bull Ring would be civilly liable.

That would apply if the drinker was under or of drinking age.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  594

Not true. In Florida, the individual who serves is only responsible if they serve someone illegally; illegally serving a drink in Florida is defined as serving to someone who is underage or knowingly serving an alcoholic.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  118

A few questions:

Does the athletic department give a seminar to the kids on not only what is legally allowed by the NCAA, but also what is discouraged by the school or, as the article states, by the NCAA, that may give even a hint of impropriety?

Yes schools are supossed to per NCAA, they sign several papers each year in accordance with this.

The law is the law, but this is a pretty stupid offense.

Why is everyone saying this is stupid? Because it was Matt Grothe? Take the Green and Gold glasses off and look at the potential consequences of an underage kid drinking, getting into a wreck and harming themselves or others.

1) Matt and the Bull Ring would be criminally liable

2) Matt and the Bull Ring would be civilly liable.

That would apply if the drinker was under or of drinking age.

The only liabilty if the person was of legal age, would be if they over-served them and knew they had too much to drink.  If you know someone is heavily intoxicated and a reasonable person (or those on juries) believe any more alcohol would create extra-ordinary danger to that person or others, you can be held liable.

• Topic Count:  33
  • Content Count:  385

not sure how you can turn this against MADD. It is a bartenders job to check the patrons i.d. If they didnt do these types of stings then bars would serve to every 18 yr old in the county with no fear of reprecussions. Until you form a lobby movement to change the legal drinking age to 18, it is 21. MADD is a great organization with a worthy cause.

MADD uses fear tactics to fiat laws on states. MADD is the reason the drinking age is 21. MADD is the reason the margin for DUI went from .15, to .12, to .10, to .08 in every state. MADD is singlehandedly ripping the rights of states to decide their own laws away from them.

I agree that fighting drunk driving is a good thing, but MADD uses tactics of federalism and fear to mandate laws to states, blackmailing them into passing absurd laws in order to keep their access to federal highway funding.

ummmm. thats kinda true ya'll. However, if ya'll lost a son or daughter to drunk driving.... not saying that they are right in HOW they go about things - but i understand WHY they go about things in this manner.

And I don't see that changing any time soon....

Belle your right on the money.  MADD has been trying to change us from a reprenstative republic into a dictatorship over many years.  They are only recentlyseeing the fruits of that evil labor.  For every kid  they think they save, they relegate four times that many into perpetual servitude in which  redemption is nonexistent. For shame!-

Try and lose a relative or loved one to a drunk driver. Grothe was being irresponsible at the time and deserves some sort of punishment. I am sure he made and honest mistake and there is no need to crack down hard on him, but some of you trivialize the situation and MADD or what have you.

Its a self-centered attitude and most people act that way until THEY become the statistic. Apparantely SOME of your fan base are as about mature and responsible as your players. Try not to be so self-centered in inconsiderate. There is a reason for law. Some people dont feel the need to get wasted and jump in the car. Those people die all the time due to people that DO get wasted and jump in cars. Is that fair? Thats why there should be laws to protect them.

I agree that this shouldn't be trivialized, but don't just say it is some of our fans...there are fans from every school that act this way.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,798
  • Content Count:  38,265
  • Days Won:  29

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

There is no doom people . . . a bunch of mother hens worrying the sky is falling.

::)

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

http://sports.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/related/C127/

There is no doom people . . . a bunch of mother hens worrying the sky is falling.

::)

and there are green and goggle people that think  certain people can do no wrong