Grothe Arrested For Serving Booze To Minor

JoeBulls

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

I feel bad for Matt that some low-life federal agency wanted to make a name for itself by harassing a college football player.

Actually, it was a state agency...but your point is still valid. I can't help but wonder if he was being "targeted" so they could get a high-profile bust. Actually, I don't wonder at all -- that is undoubtedly what happened.

umm...ATF busted a few of my fraternities parties a few years back.  some kids our age were in the party and came back with the police to tell them who had a cup in their hand, of course the people had their faces covered so we couldn't tell who it was and so they could do it again to some other people.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

He was "arrested" yet there is no arrest inquiry for him? CJL wasnt notified after the arrest? Interesting.

I am guessing (and yes, merely guessing) that Matt was given a Notice to Appear in lieu of arrest. Police have the discretion to do this when a misdemeanor is involved. If that is in fact the case, it would explain the lack of an arrest record.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He was "arrested" yet there is no arrest inquiry for him? CJL wasnt notified after the arrest? Interesting.

I am guessing (and yes, merely guessing) that Matt was given a Notice to Appear in lieu of arrest. Police have the discretion to do this when a misdemeanor is involved. If that is in fact the case, it would explain the lack of an arrest record.

I agree with you about a Notice to Appear.  I checked the HCSO website and found no reference to an actual "arrest" (being taken into custody).  I would tend to think that the probation/community service sentence would be the harshest penalty imposed.  I do, however, see him (or the Bull Ring) being fined and have to pay court costs, which generally run at the high end $109.00 in costs.  The fine amount I have no idea.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Um, the lady that worked at the gas station that got busted said her friend was gonna have to pay a fine of like $500, on top of automatically losing her job

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

It's just a stupid thing to be charged on.  Hopefully he's learned his lesson.

That said, I'm more upset at the prospect that it is possible no one at USF knew he was working there.  After what happened at Oklahoma last summer....seriously.  This could have been a much worse issue, and if the athletics department doesn't keep better tabs on their student-athletes, it is gonna bite us in the @$$.

Either the school makes every player write out a weekly schedule, fill it in, and sign it, or this comment is ridiculous.  How can a coach be expected to follow up on all players?  That's why there are so many incidents.

Maybe schools need to hire people who are essentially "babysitters".  They will keep tabs on the aforementioned schedule, occasionally audit a student's signed activities to ensure they are actually doing what they say, and otherwise watch student athletes as much as possible.

Actually, as ridiculous as that sounds, it would probably have saved some schools a lot of money in court rulings, suspension losses, etc.  It might actually be worth it, sadly.

• Topic Count:  722
  • Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

Big deal... this story is so overblown. I hope the "cop wanna-be" girl gets a nasty STD for trying to bring down the program. This is pure entrapment.

I still like you though Gene Haines... just not sleazy ho scumbags like this chick! You always gave me and my boys sound advice when you saw us out drinking.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,798
  • Content Count:  38,265
  • Days Won:  29

I feel real good about bour QB depth.

We know what Grothe can do and Gregory has been in the program for a few years and is strong in running in passing.

Sure Grothe will play the first half and Gregory getting the 2nd half - just hope they allow him to pass alot, but sure we'll be seeing ALL of our RB's.

Go BULLS !!!

I feel bad for Matt that some low-life federal agency wanted to make a name for itself by harassing a college football player.

Actually, it was a state agency...but your point is still valid. I can't help but wonder if he was being "targeted" so they could get a high-profile bust. Actually, I don't wonder at all -- that is undoubtedly what happened.

It's a division of the Tampa Police Department, not a state agency...

Also, while he was technically "arrested" he is not taken to jail to be booked and arraigned... he was given a citation and will be assigned a court date... (I had a friend who was a bartender and was "arrested" for this last summer.  For her, I think the charges were eventually dropped or maybe the arresting officer didn't show up for the court date.)

• Topic Count:  296
  • Content Count:  6,932
  • Days Won:  22

Can we just move on, it was a bad move by the establishment and for USF and Grothe.

Is it the end of the world? No.

As it says is a misdeameanor that will get USF to policy itself better.

Matt will be just fine and so will USF.

Matt we are all behind you 100%.

Go Bulls!!!!