• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Courtesy USF SID

USF MEN’S BASKETBALL

PREP STANDOUT ORANE CHIN TO JOIN BULLS FOR 2007-08 CAMPAIGN

MIRAMAR ALL-STATE SELECTION IS STAN HEATH’S FIRST SIGNEE AT USF

Tampa, Fla. (April 27, 2007) –  The University of South Florida men’s basketball team has announced the signing of prep standout Orane Chin to a National Letter of Intent for the upcoming 2007-08 campaign, first-year head coach Stan Heath released Friday afternoon.

Chin, a 6-7, 195-pounder, will arrive on campus this summer and have four seasons of eligibility with the Bulls.

“Orane is a welcome addition to our family at USF,” Heath said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“He is our first signee and we expect him to come in right away and contribute as we start to guide the program in a new direction.”

The Miramar High School graduate captured first team all-state accolades this past season after averaging 25.0 points, 14.0 rebounds, 3.0 blocks and 3.0 assists per game, helping the squad to an overall record of 22-7 and an appearance in the state tournament regional quarterfinals.  The team’s most valuable player, he participated in the Dade-Broward County All-Star Game and was tabbed to the all-tournament team at the 9th Annual Senior Showcase in Orlando.

Also successful with several Florida-based travel teams, Chin averaged 25.0 points and 12.0 rebounds for the Broward Bobcats at the Las Vegas Easter Classic this spring.  He has also seen competitive action with the Miami Tropics, a team whose all-time roster also features current Bull Jesus Verdejo.

“To get a player of his ability this late in the signing period is good for the program,” Heath said.  Ã¢â‚¬Å“He’s a combo forward with good quickness and the ability to play both inside and on the perimeter.  He is a good athlete who is going to make some exciting plays for USF fans.”

Chin spent his sophomore and junior campaigns at Dr. Krop High School in Miami.  He helped the program to a 28-4 overall record as a junior and concluded the year averaging 16.4 points and 7.7 rebounds per outing.  A second team all-county selection, he shot 58.0 percent from the floor and guided the team to a regional finals appearance that season.

As a sophomore at Krop, the Clarendon, Jamaica, native chipped in 19.0 points and 9.0 rebounds per contest en route to second team all-county accolades.

A four-year varsity letterwinner, Chin began his prep career at Pace High School in Miami where he saw action as a freshman.

Guest wildrover

Every time I hear Orin Chin I can't help but think about "The search for animal chin"  any children of the 80's know what I'm talking about?

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

Sounds like a great pick up...especially this late in the year.

• Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

heath is the man

• Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  0

Smazza, you are the man for supporting the new coach.

He'll have us contending in the BE sooner than most think.

• Content Count:  1,433

I like the way this is progressing....go Bulls, go Stan!

• Content Count:  5,691

Sounds like a good pickup

My question is why was he still available this late in the game?

Anyone have any answer to my question above?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

My question is [highlight]why was he still available this late in the game?[/highlight]

Because he hadn't signed with anyone.....   ::)

My question is [highlight]why was he still available this late in the game?[/highlight]

Because he hadn't signed with anyone.....   ::)

Funny. ::)

Did he not make grades until late? There had to be a reason he had not yet signed.

Archived