• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

head_ptr.gif

Duquesne brings in assistant  

By John Grupp

TRIBUNE-REVIEW

Friday, April 27, 2007

Duquesne coach Ron Everhart will be reunited with Greg Gary, who was hired as an assistant coach with the Dukes on Thursday, nearly two decades after Everhart recruited him as a player.

Everhart convinced Gary to attend Tulane, and he later hired Gary as an assistant at McNeese State.

"We go way back," Everhart said, "He's a great guy."

Gary, 37, replaces Richard Pitino Jr., who left Duquesne last month to become a member of his father's staff at Louisville.  

Gary worked most recently for three years as an assistant coach at South Florida. Last month, Stan Heath was hired at South Florida to replace Robert McCullum. Gary also has worked as an assistant at Tulane and Miami (Fla.).

"I'm very excited to be part of the staff at Duquesne," Gary said in a statement. "Coach Everhart ... is a proven winner."

Gary was among the first players Everhart recruited to Tulane when they were resurrecting the program in the late 1980s. Gary left as the Green Wave's all-time assists leader and combined with current Duquesne assistant Kim Lewis to lead Tulane to its first NCAA Tournament berth in 1992.

"Recruiting is a strong suit," Everhart said. "He's been in the ACC and the Big East. He has a large network."

John Grupp can be reached at jgrupp@tribweb.com or (412) 320-7930.

Link

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

Good for coach.  He will have an uphill battle I am sure.  Duquesne is the school where a few players were shot on campus if I am not mistaken?  I think they lost some players due to this and you would believe it would be harder to recruit there after that incident.  

• Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

Good for Coach Gary. I am glad that he is back in the business with another chance to work his way up. Now, I hope McCullum, Burnell, and Cunningham find some coaching gigs pretty soon. They had a very challenging situation while at USF, so I hope other programs give them a another chance.

• Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

Good for coach.  He will have an uphill battle I am sure.  Duquesne is the school where a few players were shot on campus if I am not mistaken?  I think they lost some players due to this and you would believe it would be harder to recruit there after that incident.  

you would be correct about the shootings at the school.  my friend is a cheerleader/athletic trainer there and was telling me about the situation.  goodluck to Gary.

Archived