Bulls, are you a bigger fan now or when in school?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,630
  • Days Won:  10

I graduated USF in 94, so there was no football then and I was happy with that as I judged that my diploma would be regarded for academics instead of the reputation of our football team.

Then I went to grad school (at a far inferior school to our northeast -- USF didn't have my program) and spent five and a half years in grad school.  I wouldn't permit myself to go to games because I needed to maintain focus in a very tough program.  I then started another four year program and wouldn't let myself go to games.  Until last year.  I COULDN'T STAND IT!!!!  I got season tickets last year and am totally fanatic.  All those years of discipline and I am ready to go wild.  It sure doesn't hurt to have a history making program either.  So, discipline is highly over rated and wouldn't recommend it ;D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

I went to USF from 1975 to 1979 (I must have known smazza).  This was pre-Sundome and a couple guys from the dorm and I would drive to the Bball games which were scattered between the old gym on campus, Curtis Hixon Hall (downtown Tampa), Florida State Fairgrounds and the Bayfront Arena (downtown St. Petersburg).  For most games we sat in the front row with only about 100 to 150 other people there.  One exception was watching the blowout by UNC and Michael Jordan at the Bayfront in front of maybe 4,000 UNC fans.  I guess I am even a bigger fan now if dragging my wife and kids to every football game and 10 Bball games per year qualifies as "bigger".  I agree with Brad that no matter where an alum lives, the greatest connection with their alma mater is via athletics.

i was the hot looking bartender with shoulder length hair at the mad hatter night club

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

Much bigger fan now, graduated in 96 just before football. USF football is the big factor in this......always followed basketball but wasnt going to travel 40 miles to catch a losing effort(lol). Now i travel yearly to places like Piscataway, Syracuse, Louisville, Morgantown, etc.....cant think of a better excuse for family vacation .....getting to see more of the country with my family and DA BULLS!!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,882
  • Days Won:  6

i was the hot looking bartender with shoulder length hair at the mad hatter night club

Wednesday nights at Mad Hatter I was not looking at the bartenders.  Now the female bartenders at Papa Joe's were a different story.

Anyhow, must have been the '79 UNC game at Bayfront.  Also, first game in the Sundome there were no 2nd level seats, only 1st and 3rd.  It was cool to be walking around the 2nd level deck and watching the game over the railings - kind of like how the students now mill around by the pirate ship without actually being in seats.  Maybe they should try pushing back a section of the 2nd level seats next year and seeing if more students come just to see and be seen on a "party deck".

• Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

I started my freshman year at USF on September 21, 1969. There was no basketbull yet. Homecoming centered around soccer. I was a manager of the first USF basketbull team in 1970-71. We had a freshman only team and played junior varsity teams throughout Florida as well as junior college teams in the state. I believe we went 19-4 that first year of Golden Brahman basketball. The next year was our first varsity team. So I was a part of USF athletics history being a member of that inaugral year of basketbull. I was naturally a much bigger basketbull fan then but today am a bigger fan of USF athletics overall. Football was a pipedream then. We kept hearing rumors that Busch beer would have built us an on cmpus stadium for free. However, the first USF president, John Allen, despised athletics so he said no way would he say yes to a USF football program. We've certainly come a long way. Looking forward to the football game in Fort Lauderdale against FAU.

• Content Count:  5,691

I would have to say now. Graduated in '96 and lived in tampa through the end of 2002. Kept attending bball and fball games.

Love that we have moved from the sun belt to the metro to cusa to the BE. I love telling that to people up here as they are amazed at our growth. Also love telling people about our university (i feel like any ambasador).

Very thanful for the internet and espn gameplan!

• Content Count:  1,812

Bigger fan now of sports, no football when I was in school. I was always a big fan of USF for academics and always would wear USF gear out of town to get the word out.

I really miss the days where I thought I was busy in college with working and school; boy if I had that kind of time now I would be tickled pink. A career, kids, wife and house take up all time but still make time for USF football and it is the main connection now.

• Content Count:  243

I screamed louder as a student, but I was screaming at homecoming games that starred Rodenko Dobras, Gary Alexander, Bobby Russel, Fred Lewis and Co. Now, I care more about the big picture oh yeah and having a football team makes for better homecomings ... Here's to never traveling to Birmingham again!

Archived