Bulls, are you a bigger fan now or when in school?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Easily a bigger fan now.  I graduated prior to pigskin.  With football and the message board its easier to stay in tune with everything about USF.  

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

I would say a bigger fan now as an alum for football.  I came to USF the 1st year the football program was around.  i went to the first game ever and was excited.  The problem was after that I went to games with my friendn more for tailgates and it was the thing to do, not to watch USF play Kentucky Weslyan and other no name schools.  As we progressed as a program and joined DI, I became a bigger fan.  When we joined the Big East I started paying serious attention, but I already have graduated by then.  

As for basketball, i was a way bigger fan as a student.  I went to all the games then and now, but at least then with SG we competed and the Sundome was filled with energy.  When i graduated they brought in Mcccullum, which I still watched and went to games but the games were boring and dull and we always loss.  Even if Heath brings us to the promise land, I will never be as drunk loud and obnoxious in the sundome as i was back in the late 90's.  Those were the days.  

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

There is no way that I could be a bigger fan now than when I was in school.  Living where I did on campus we were right in the heart of everything.  I didn't work so I had all kinds of time available.  

In my jr year the Village dorms opened up.  I moved in there.  It was right behind the golf driving range so we got to know a lot of the golfers so we followed the golf team.  The Tennis courts were about 50 yards from the dorm and the tennis teams kicked us off the courts everday at about 2:00 so we'd watch them practice and got to know them pretty well.  I played Baseball for one year and then followed the  team going to pretty much every home game I could.  I had a lot of friends on the Softball team so we always went out and watched them play.  Soccer was very exciting when we had Roy Wegerle so went to pretty much every game and of course BB was the king in those days.  My girlfriend was on the Swim team (that's how I knew the answer to the year we won the National Championship) so followed that also.

The passion for USF  sports is still as strong.  Living in CT, the fact we joined the Big East is probably the greatest thing that could have happened for my passion for the teams.  I'm also fortunate in what I do for a living  and can afford to travel to a lot of games.

So, I'm certainly as big a fan of the teams as before, just my viwing habits are a bit different.

• Content Count:  3,574

Bigger fan now.  I was a huge fan when I was at USF (just ask those that know me...lol).  Add in my “Cameron Crazies†experience and I’m ready for some USF football!  But I’m also a USF fan period… the school, every sport, etc.  In fact, when I first got to USF, the buzz was basketball since football just moved up to DIA.  I remember the tents by the Dome and how can I forget the UF game in 2001.  Oh the memories of USF basketball in 01/02  (c’mon CSH!)

But these two reasons are why I'm a bigger fan now.

As a graduate I'm a bigger fan now. Following the athletic program and donating is one of the many ways I feel connected to the school after graduation.

I suppose part of that may be due to the fact that I'm living 800+ miles away from Bulls Country.

• Content Count:  486

I am now, we did not have football when I was in school.  But is was SO nice getting into BBall games free!  But now that I have time and money I am even more into my Bulls!!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,882
  • Days Won:  6

I went to USF from 1975 to 1979 (I must have known smazza).  This was pre-Sundome and a couple guys from the dorm and I would drive to the Bball games which were scattered between the old gym on campus, Curtis Hixon Hall (downtown Tampa), Florida State Fairgrounds and the Bayfront Arena (downtown St. Petersburg).  For most games we sat in the front row with only about 100 to 150 other people there.  One exception was watching the blowout by UNC and Michael Jordan at the Bayfront in front of maybe 4,000 UNC fans.  I guess I am even a bigger fan now if dragging my wife and kids to every football game and 10 Bball games per year qualifies as "bigger".  I agree with Brad that no matter where an alum lives, the greatest connection with their alma mater is via athletics.

• Content Count:  9,810
  • Days Won:  9

Wasn't MJ a Freshman in 1982??

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  7,882
  • Days Won:  6

JB, you are correct - MJ played 3 years starating in '82.  So my mind is going in the old age - I swear I saw Jordan at Bayfront, but if that was '82 to '84 then why wasn't the game at the Sundome?  Maybe it was in '78 - '79 w/o Jordan.  Anyhow, does anyone know the real story with the UNC game at Bayfront - maybe it's covered in TG's book?

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I checked the media guide. USF played North Carolina at home in 1975-76 and again in 1979-80. They did play in Chapel Hill in 1981-82, Jordan's freshman year.

• Content Count:  6,929
  • Days Won:  22

JB I was there same time, i think you are refering to 79-80 that game was supose to open the Sun dome but it wasnt ready so they played at Bayfront. we got our asses handed but do you remember the PG we had that year (transfered out) that kept trying to dribble thru the entire UNC team, he was a good dribbler but man you cant beat the entire team by yourself, kept turning the ball over.

How about the first game at the Sun dome with those BIG wooden telephone poles holding the upper decks and the plastic Sun Dome survivor construction hats.

I was a big supporter of USF basketball back then but probably even more of athletics in general now

Archived