Bulls, are you a bigger fan now or when in school?

Guest BasketBull.

Guest BasketBull.

I guess my question applies to the older crowd.

(Yes, some of you have gained weight but that's not what I mean!  ;D )

It's funny. As a soon-to-be alumnus again, I find it absolutely difficult to be a fan as a student. My illlusion before returning to school was that I could really get my teeth into all the activities. WRONG! Sure, I suppose I could have ignored my grad school responsibilities and lose my fellowship, etc.

It's a Catch-22. If you want to be a good student, you can't do all the college stuff (at least from my experiece). Oh, don't forget the low-cash factor, also. But if you're away from school, you're sort far from everything.

My thinking is that the best years to be involved in Bulls athletics is during the first 2 years of undergrad. Then, after that, the next window is when life has settled down, i.e., job security, etc. But, of course, don't move to B.F.E. (Brazil and Taiwan are just to darn far. Isn't that right, E.T.?)  ;D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  261
  • Days Won:  0

As a graduate I'm a bigger fan now. Following the athletic program and donating is one of the many ways I feel connected to the school after graduation.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I was a big fan as a student, but I'm even more so now I'd say.

I suppose part of that may be due to the fact that I'm living 800+ miles away from Bulls Country.

As they say, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

• Content Count:  2,580
  • Days Won:  1

I seem to have more time to be a fan now that I am not going to school 3 times a week, studying, and working 30 hours/week.  Most of the free time that I had to work as a waiter was on nights and weekends, so going to away games, etc, was not an option.  Not to mention the money factor is not as much of a problem.

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

WAY bigger fan now.

I only went to one football game while enrolled at USF.  Then again, we were just in our first year of C-USA when I graduated.

Then again, I lived in Lakeland and worked nights for my entire tenure at USF.  If football games would've been on Sundays (my only day off), I would've gone to more!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I attended most basketball games as a student and an occasional volleyball game - we had no football.  I think largely because of football and the donations and season ticket purchases, I became a bigger fan afterwards.  For many including me, the connection to the sports programs is about the only lasting link between the graduate and the alma mater.

In summary, much bigger fan now and looking for opportunities and ways to enhance that.

• Content Count:  1,433

Bigger fan now....it's easier to be a fan year round now instead of just during basketball season when I was a student.  ('85 Grad) Driven by the fact that we have football now and having been a season ticket holder since year 1, never having missed a home game and traveling extensively to see the Bulls on the road...all of that coupled with enhanced information through the net make it easier to be a hardcore fan.  I will say that I do miss being on campus from the standpoint of being able to walk to see the volleyball and soccer games since I haven't attended many of those since graduation.

This time of year, I'm following baseball (going to as many games as possible) and planning my Fall football trips.  What a great life!

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Since I was, gasp, a commuter student, I am more of a fan now.

• Content Count:  1,757

Hmm, tough question...  I'd say yes, but only because I have more time.  When I was a student 98-00 I went to every football game I was in town for (in an empty RayJay back in the I-AA days).  Unfortunately, between working part time, sailing with the coed USF team and getting my engineering degree I only made it to about 1/3 of those games.  

I've only missed 2 home games since then... stupid f*cking in-law cousins' weddings, who in the HELL schedules a wedding during football season anyway?  

I've never been to a USF basketball or baseball game...  nothing against them, but I just can't get into either of those sports... that and the sailing weather is way too good here in the late winter / early spring.

• Content Count:  2,307

Ok, I'll give some input from the younger crowd - just MY opinion though.

I don't know if I can possibly be a bigger fan.  And this doesn't only deal with sports, but with everything.  I was super involved in activities, worked a bunch, and still made it to all games.  Of course, that could be the reason why by my junior year I was burned out.  So now (my senior year), I just stick to working, going to sporting events, and oh yeah...occasional homework.

Archived