I hope the Grothe thread taught everyone...

Jamie

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

First, USF did not even know that the most IMPORTANT (that's right, the most important) student on campus is working as a bartender.

Leavitt didn't know, which makes sense. It didn't say, for sure, that no one knew.

Why?  Why not work somewhere else?  Why, as an option, not volunteer or work as a sub at a school, since he's a secondary education major?

We know that this will appear on TV when we play.  This is what happens when you're an icon.  This isn't DIAA.  We have a bulls eye on our back and we need to take extra precaution for stuff like this.  I still don't understand how we don't even keep track of what jobs our athletes have.

Our starting QB star is a bartender.  Say that three times and see if it makes sense at all.

Lastly, shame on the Bull Ring.  You can't tell me that they didn't vision $ signs having Grothe in there.

Let's hope that the only problem was the sell of alcohol to an underage person.  And I sure hope that the Bull Ring did not pay what Grothe is really worth... if you know what I mean.

The job was not in violation of any laws or NCAA rules. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Bartending can be pretty fun.

He made a mistake and will have to suffer the consequences, which shouldn't be that severe. I'm not sure why all the teeth gnashing...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

Leavitt didn't know, which makes sense. It didn't say, for sure, that no one knew.

BBB, c'mon.  Leavitt needs to know.  He's the head coach.  It doesn’t make sense how he (or USF for the moment) didn’t know where Grothe worked at.

From Greg... "But it seems USF was unaware the most prominent athlete on campus was working at least occasionally in a job serving alcohol at a place that USF encourages its fans and boosters to congregate.

"I had heard something happened, but I didn't know what. He’s not there anymore," Leavitt said Friday.

Asked if he had known Grothe was working there, Leavitt said he did not, and when asked if anyone at USF knew, he said "(I'm) unsure. But somebody is supposed to."

The job was not in violation of any laws or NCAA rules. I'm not sure what the big deal is. Bartending can be pretty fun.

He made a mistake and will have to suffer the consequences, which shouldn't be that severe. I'm not sure why all the teeth gnashing...

This I do know.  Well not really.  Not until I read that he was arrested and Greg said it wasn't.

While I am sure bartending is fun, Grothe (one of great importance who has a name) should not be.  Like I said, work if he needs money, just don't bartend... not now, not when he is a college student where other college students are involved and when he's an obvious icon.

This won't be severe, I agree, but it's a little awkward when it involves your star quarterback.

I can't imagine what flip is thinking about right now.

• Content Count:  10,219

;D ;D ;) ;D

• Content Count:  1,911

some of you guys are so soft.  you treat matt grothe like he is yours or usfs possesion.  he wasnt doing anything illegal until he unknowingly put a drink in an underage persons hand.  Maybe he isnt an experienced bartender and didt want to offend the customer.  An honest mistake, happens ALL the time.  

you guys forget he is a grown ass man.  He doesnt have to tell anybody anything.  If the star qb wants a job bartending to meet people, make money, get girls, whatever, I think thats a perk of his position he deserves, imo of course.  

• Content Count:  662

Mag- speaking of quote stealing, I do VERY CLEARLY recall a particular sports section using my "Flipping the birds" as a headline and was pretty perturbed about it last year after the Louisville win. :(

• Content Count:  662

That's fine if he's gonna work there and all, but from what I hear (and I could be wrong) the place has advertisemented "get served by the star quarterback" that crosses the line and puts the university's name and reputation at stake.

• Content Count:  6,770
  • Days Won:  19

The owner of the Bulls Ring is a true entreprenuer. "Get served by the star QB". That is a brilliant marketing idea! Hopefully Matt didn't claim his cash tips and was able to slip one past Uncle Sam. USF marketing needs to hire someone of this guy's magnitude to get people to show up for sporting events.

Some of you people on here are so righteous... Just win baby is what I say!

No one will remember this once we play Auburn...

Hey Belle of the Bulls... what type of martini are you drinking? Appletini, I assume. Symbolic to say the least... the color of the drink matches our school's main color.

Archived