The Bulls Pen to be last independent USF board...

Jim Johnson

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Days Won:  13

Yahoo Close To Acquiring Rivals.com; Price Could Reach Nine Figures

Yahoo is close to making its biggest sports acquisition after, well, the Broadcast.com deal: the college sports network Rivals.com, paidContent.org has learned. The price could reach around $100 million, which some we’ve spoken to say is overpriced, and that’s why the traditional sports media buyers are sitting out on this one. One exec involved in online sports acquisitions told us $50-75 million would be more realistic given a model that canâ€â€and has beenâ€â€replicated and described the reaction to what Rivals was askingâ€â€$100 millionâ€â€as “sticker shock.â€Â

For comparison, [Fox Interactive Media] paid $60 million for Scout Media in September 2005.

The new acquisition would be a boost to Yahoo Sports, which has been looking for ways to catch up to the juggernaut of ESPN.com and the surge from FoxSports.com. It has an already-existing deal with Rivals.com for sharing sports content; Rivals also supplies content to USAToday.com, AOL Sports, SportingNews.com, MSNBC.com and SI.com.

Rivals.com, based in Brentwood, TN, was founded in 2001, from the ashes of then-Seattle-based Rival Networks. The Internet start-up burned through more than $75 million dollars in venture capital funding during the dotcom bust, and the assets were available through a forced liquidation. Interestingly, it was rumored then that Yahoo was looking at buying the assets of the company. A history of Rivals.com since then is here. CEO Shannon Terry made the list of SBJ’s Top 20 in Online Sports earlier this year.

USFNation = Scout = Fox Interactive Media = News Corp

USFBullsEye = Rivals = Yahoo

USFBullsPen = The best independent fan-based, fan-owned, fan-operated site in the world!!!

(and the last USF message board not owned by a major media company)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,911
  • Days Won:  0

USFBullsPen = The best independent fan-based, fan-owned, fan-operated site in the world!!!

(and the last USF message board not owned by a major media company)

represent, represent!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Offtopic: Apparently the accquisition of Scout by Fox has caused all sorts of problems. In the last few months three of the biggest fansites on there have gone independent because of contract disputes. Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Florida.

I think Yahoo acquiring Rivals will cause similar problems. Big companies like Fox and Yahoo make decisions with one thing in mind. MONEY.

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

good point...

i'm just waiting for someone to come offering 75 million to buy thebullspen.com. ;D

• Content Count:  136

Offtopic: Apparently the accquisition of Scout by Fox has caused all sorts of problems. In the last few months three of the biggest fansites on there have gone independent because of contract disputes. Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Florida.

I think Yahoo acquiring Rivals will cause similar problems. Big companies like Fox and Yahoo make decisions with one thing in mind. MONEY.

I am a member of the Miami scout site, and a lot of people left because they switched to the Beta message boards.  They are horrible!!

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

^^^ Ya, I believe that is why the three sites ran, they are three of the bigger and message board heavy sites.

• Content Count:  808

If you ask me, this should be really good motivation for anyone on this board who has not signed up for monthly donations to help cover this site's expenses.

$5 a month is a bargain compared to the other sites out there.  Is the time you spend on here worth 16 cent a day? Mine certainly is.

Brad, et al, spend time and money OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKETS to keep this site going, not for profit, but rather because they believe in building and supporting on online USF community.  

Just click on the "Make a Donation" link at the top of the page.

Consider it!

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

FYI... I just bought a new server to run the site that is about 10 x more powerful than the previous one...  it is awesome... although a bit on the loud side.

Within the next couple weeks, you'll see some MAJOR speed improvements.

:)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

$5 a month is a bargain compared to the other sites out there.  Is the time you spend on here worth 16 cent a day? Mine certainly is.

Just click on the "Make a Donation" link at the top of the page.

Consider it!

Exactly !!!

And as I tell people, think of the few times the site was down ... it's very important in my daily life - especially during football season.

Even a dollar a month from enough posters/lurkers would help alot.

It would not pay for the time donated, but would help with the cost of keeping this great site ... GREAT !!!

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

As has been alluded to, this has always been a fans site run by the fans (to varying degrees).  Our message board has always allowed us to differentiate by offering new features.  We've ridden the current message board version for about a couple years and the overall Yabb product for quite some time.  With this format we've been able to do a lot of different modifications and customizations, but there have also been problems with the most recent upgrade.

Velcro mentioned a new server, and soon we'll also have a new board system.  The conversion planning and test installs are underway now and are - as a matter of fact - being conducted and overseen by your fellow board members.  NAM37, JimUSFSig, Apis Bull and Velcro are playing key roles in examining and testing our options to position ourselves for increased performance and continued growth.  

Our sole interest in the change is to be able to continue to deliver the best message board experience and a growing online community to Bulls fans.  As we get closer, we'll provide some additional information.  Until then, we hope you'll continue to help us grow the oldest, largest and only independent Bulls board driven by and for Bulls fans.

With your help, the transition will go well.

Archived