The USF Athletics Auction

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

I wanted to pass on some comments on my first ever participation in the USF Athletics Auction.  I attended the event this last Saturday, April 21.

First of all, I met more USF coaches than TheBullsPen.com board members - but then the coaches are much more recognizable.  If you did not read the post that was pinned to the top of our board for a couple months, you might not know the details on the auction.  Some quick comments and thoughts are provided.

It is $150 per person to attend.  For my $150, I was able to make a contribution to my alma mater's sports programs and in return enjoyed the following, in no particular order:

1 - Met Coach Stan Heath and wife.

2 - Listened to Anthony Henry address his reasons for participating in the auction

3 - Got to speak with J.R. Reed, Anthony Henry, and Brian Lamb

4 - Chatted with Coaches Leavitt, Hernandez, and others that were milling about.  The Burnhams were there, as were others football coaches including Canales that sat near me.  Pat Burnham was at our table.

5 - Open Bar (Beer, wine, cocktails, soft drinks)

6 - Got to hear Coach Leavitt give those in attendance an impromptu "game-day like" pep talk that had hair standing up on most arms and necks - just to get us ready for the live auction.

7 - Enjoyed a dinner from Outback Steakhouse consisting of Steak AND Chicken, sides, a salad and cheesecake

8 - During the opening hour and a half or so dined on hors d'oeuvres of bloomin' onions and lamb, while enjoying item #5 immensely.

9 - Was able to bid on and win an authentic Meineke Bowl jersey and game used ball from the PapaJohns.com Bowl.

10 - Saw two other 2006 game used jerseys get won relatively cheaply.  J.R. Reed autographed Bulls jersey went for higher $$.

11 - Met other Bulls fans

12 - Got to meet Richard Gonzmart of the Columbia Restaurant, and enjoy his passion for the Bulls - he donated the trip to Spain and a chance for a Bulls fan to literally run with the bulls in Pamplona.

13 - Had a chance to bid on and win items not available anywhere else!   From Bulls gear to travel packages to MLB authentics to Caddyshack original autographed items to golf passes and athletic gear.

I left there that night having completely enjoyed the night - it was well worth the $150 and 4 hours of time.  I would love to see the board put together a table of 10 for next year's event.  It's an energizing event that should be attended by hundreds more although there were probably close to 500 in attendance.

The memorabilia there was terrific.  Both Bull and non-Bull items were top notch.  As mentioned I picked up quite a few Bulls items, but I also got other stuff.  I was amazed at the low prices at which some of the golf stuff was available.  Suites were available for auction as were "fly-aways with the Bulls" to road games.  Of course the first shot at all the "coach on the bench" with Heath and "coach on the bench" with Leavitt were there along with other such opportunities to get up close during a game.

I will try to fly back again next year and early enough to attend the Spring Game.  Should anyone wish to join in on a table, I would be delighted to help organize.  It's a great event - I don't know how I missed it all these other years.

I probably haven't done the event justice, but I wanted to comment before too long.  I'll bring this up again early next year and hopefully, we'll have all saved some money and can get a table together.  I fully endorse this function put on by the USF Bulls Club.  Outstanding.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,103
  • Days Won:  0

glad you had a blast.  i would love to go, i just need money and a job first.  nice to meet you and your kids at the game on sunday

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

I will try to fly back again next year and early enough to attend the Spring Game.  Should anyone wish to join in on a table, I would be delighted to help organize.  

I had planned on attending this year, but the new job is SOFA KING busy ... been working every Saturday !

I vow to be there next year !

:GoBulls

• Content Count:  823
  • Days Won:  0

It was an outstanding event. It was really cool to meet Brad again. The auctions were fun, I won some and lost some.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I didn't go to the auction, but saw the posting about Richard Gonzmart.  He was quoted in the St Pete Times on the hiring of Stan/BB coach.  I guess he is a big bulls donor/supporter.

Anyway, I met him at his house two weeks ago for a charity event.  We got to talk for a little while and the guy is extremely passionate about USF BB and Football.  He didnt go there but decided to support the local college.  He actually went to college in Spain (where he travels often).  

He and his wife were great hosts and they have a terrifica house on the hills river not too far from downton.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Thanks Bloom, it was great talking to you there.

I believe Mr. Gonzmart's daughter either attends or attended USF...it's a little foggy to me now...

[smiley=icon_drink.gif]

Archived