Our University Part 2 (New changes to the old one)

USFan

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

...higher education is not a right it is a privilege and with the Bright Futures and other grants the student must take some responsibility for their future by actually getting good grades in High School.

caddy4.jpg

"America needs ditch diggers too."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  0

While there have been tons of lobbying and editorials printed in multiple newspapers daily in favor of this bill, below are Crist's latest comments about it. While his language is not as strong against it as it once was, it's still not a far departure from his original dismay.  

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070520/NEWS/705200336/-1/RSS

I've been lobbied on issues before, but this is ridiculous," Crist said Tuesday. "Not ridiculous, that's the wrong word to use. It's impressive."

University presidents say the additional money is needed to hire professors and advisers. Even with the hikes, Florida's tuition rates would be among the nation's lowest. The Bright Futures scholarships use taxpayer money to subsidize all or most tuition costs for more than 90 percent of UF undergraduates.

But all that lobbying may be for naught if Crist meets a few more parents like one he saw in Pinellas County on Wednesday. Leaving the county's emergency operations center, Crist said he chatted with a man whose son had just been accepted to UF.

The "proud dad," in Crist's words, told the governor to veto the tuition hike, saying he had not budgeted enough money to pay for increased tuition.

"That's the real people, the boss, telling me what they believe about this stuff," Crist said Wednesday. "I take that to heart. I'm still not enamored to the idea of raising tuition."

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  289
  • Days Won:  0

ALL departments have the potential to become top 10 departments. Its really very simple.  

This statement seems a bit strange to me.

There are only 10 in the top 10.  

Either you mean ALL universities can have a top 10 department in a particular field.  That's not correct unless we reduce our nation's university system to 10 universities overall.  

Or perhaps you mean that ALL departments at USF could become top 10.  That is a very distant possibility.  Try to unseat Stanford or MIT in computer science.

I think universites pick and choose their battles.  If USF were to become top 10 in mathematics, physics, science, or engineering, people would pay attention.  If you want to become top 10 in something very obscure that has a limited impact on society at large, then sure you can do it.  But why?

I'm not saying Comms is obscure and of no benefit.  It may very well be.  But for any subject which has a glamour factor associated with it, no it is not simple to become top 10.

Archived