Our University Part 2 (New changes to the old one)

USFan

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,532
  • Days Won:  0

The $111 is with fees.  Thats a better number to use.

$3340 (in-state tuition) /30 credit hours = $111.33

http://usfweb2.usf.edu/finaid/07-08/0708_budget.htm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,307

Tuition has been going up practically every year anyways.  I think this would be a good move for USF.  1,000k is honestly not that much a year, and this is coming from someone that has worked since starting at USF and is on scholarships.  USF tuition is SOOOO low compared to other places.  A $1,000 increase would help the university in so many ways, that I think getting an extra charge is worth it.

• Content Count:  77

I agree. This would be a major step in the right direction for USF!

• Content Count:  928

So fees are included in the "tution" line on oasis?

I'm not saying that I have a problem with the increase, just a little unsure what the "tution" line on OASIS means.

In fact, even if I was affected by the increase, I would still be paying far less than I did when I attended the cheapest public University in WA State.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I don't believe the state will ever actually get the tier system passed, its going to cause a lot of disputes and hurt other schools. I do think they'll let the schools set their own tution with guidelines. However, they will proablu end up letting the tier system work itself out.

• Content Count:  1,532

So fees are included in the "tution" line on oasis?

I'm not saying that I have a problem with the increase, just a little unsure what the "tution" line on OASIS means.

In fact, even if I was affected by the increase, I would still be paying far less than I did when I attended the cheapest public University in WA State.

Yes, tuition AND fees are included in the $111.33.

A break down ("Cost to Educate") is on the University Controller’s Office page:  http://usfweb2.usf.edu/pfs/tuition_cost.htm

The overall "Cost to Attend" is located on the fin aid page: http://usfweb2.usf.edu/finaid/07-08/0708_budget.htm

• Content Count:  2,016

Virginia: $7,845

NC State: $5,117

Kansas State: $5,175

Northern Illinois: $5,550

UAB: $4,792

Misissippi: $5,752.50

Washington State: $6,300

Since state funding is among the highest in the nation, if USF wants to continue to improve itself, it seems that higher tuition is needed.

The PCG plan seems a reasonable approximation of what is needed for the state of Florida.  I don't think its going to happen, it would require more vision than our Legislators have shown in the past as well as considerable political pressure from the borderline tier 1 research institutions such as UCF, FAMU, and FIU.

• Content Count:  478

Last night I spent some time reviewing the Pappas Report. (I'm in higher ed so it was my idea of a fun night. sad- I know)

Anyway- for those who havent read it -- it chronicles the state's many screw ups in education and higher ed and was kind of like an academic smack down for the education commission. I agreed with about 70% of what they had to say - mostly because I am an academic and things like art, literature, dance and history are important to me and should be an essential component to undergraduate education. This report approaches things from a purely economic perspective. Again, it is one that I can appreciate- but one that ignores aspects of education that I feel need to be taken into consideration.

The report's recomenations are also VERY VERY VERY expensive. The idea of creating a state college system where the undergraduate to graduate ratio is 90:10 is VERY VERY VERY expensive- because everyone knows that graduate students run the teaching at universitites - not because they know more but because they are cheaper. Pay a grad student 16k a year vs the 50-100k that a faculty member costs (and of course it varies between disclilplines). Teaching colleges are a GREAT idea - but I really dont see the state shelling out that much money to hire thousands of new professors. AND there is no guarentee that these teaching colleges will be better for undergraduate education than the R1s. I know a lot of really bad teachers that I went to PhD school with - that are working in elite private teaching colleges. I also know some GREAT professors who love research and love teaching too and are happy to do both. So - IMO- I think the report should focus on quality through quality hires as well.

I encourage ya'll to go over it yourselves - it is very interesting and provides us with some eye opening stats (some of which are reliable - some I think are a bit suspect so use your own judgment) .  And esp for those out there that think the status quo is just fine and dandy - read it. You might change your tune.

Like I have said before - if USF is smart (sometimes they are and sometimes they aren't - lets be honest) - they will jump on this legislation like white on rice.  Kathy B should ALREADY be in Tally working Christ and working against the DII schools that want to be DIs.  Because as the report so rightly notes - part of the problem in FL - is that EVERYBODY wants to be a D1. And that is not necessairly good for them, good for the students or good for the state.

• Content Count:  478

• Content Count:  477

If anyone thinks that an increase in tuition leads to an increase in the  overall quality of education given, they are smoking a packed pipe.

Tuition has been rising at a rate of about 10% annually.

It is boneheaeded to raise tuition.  It is a total tax on individuals seeking to improve themselves.

If you want to raise revenue -- you should draw from the general fund -- not tax college kids who don't vote.

And believe me -- that is the only reason you would EVER be able to get a 1k tuition increase through the legislature.

Because you know less the 10% of voters between the ages of 18-24 show up to the polls.

Try raising the property tax in an effort to improve public education and see if you ever see the city of Tallahassee

If you try to raise the needed funds through general revenue -- just like we raise revenue for every other aspect of public education -- all the crazy conservatives start crying foul over "tax increases."

It is retarded.

People act like Florida's low tuiton rates are liabilities -- they are assets.

All you are doing by raising tuition rates -- is forcing kids to borrow more money from Sallie Mae and continuing to saddle graduates with thousands of more dollars in debt.

It is a stupid move.

And to sell it the way they are selling it is just sad.

"High tuition will increase the quality of education given to the students."

What a joke.

There is ZERO correlation between tuition charged and education recieved.  IF that was the case we would all be enrolled in private schools and the University of Tampa would be the Harvard of Hillsborough County.

I staunchly oppose such a move.

Crist knows he can't sign this bill.

He will be thrown to the wolves in 2010 when he seeks re-election as the guy who raised tuition rates at Florida Universities.

Archived